Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > Jack Moss - Distant Places [Progressive Trance]
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SYSTEM-J
Ambient Produce Unit

quote:
Originally posted by ziptnf
During some parts of the mix, I had half expected John 00 Fleming to come on the mic going "Roight, another massive tune from Timewave, now it's time for the Turbo mix!"

Nice work though.

Yeah, the J00F influence is writ large, even though I don't think this actually sounds much like a J00F set. It doesn't have the same darkness to it. It's difficult not to be influenced by J00F if you're playing this kind of sound, as he has fingers in almost all good progressive trance at the moment.

paulversuspaul: I did think about ending on something really epic, but you can't really go much higher than tracks like Multiverse and Hot Trigger without it starting to sound cheesy, so I went the other way and mellowed it out.

The mixing style on this set is heavily inspired by Sasha, particularly that legendary Essential Mix from 1995. He mixed a lot of tracks right from the intro, for minutes on end, and when you can pull that off it's a really "musical" way of blending tracks. Since I was going to be playing tracks everyone knew, I wanted to mix them in an interesting way.

> BMC DJ Competition [Drum & Bass]
> Human Revolution [Theme Challenge Mix]
> Somnamdublism [Dub Techno]

>>Absorb. [Fortnightly Radio Show]<<

Absorb.

Old Post May-27-2012 01:33  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
Ambient Produce Unit

quote:
Originally posted by Vernon Wanderer
Seems good. Please give me a SC link because my flash doesn't work with soundcloud..

http://soundcloud.com/jackmoss/dist...ces-progressive

Let me know if you have any problems.

Absorb.

Old Post May-27-2012 01:34  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Yeah, the J00F influence is writ large, even though I don't think this actually sounds much like a J00F set. It doesn't have the same darkness to it. It's difficult not to be influenced by J00F if you're playing this kind of sound, as he has fingers in almost all good progressive trance at the moment.

Yeah, I hear you, there were more euphoric tracks than would be in a J00F mix. There weren't enough breakdowns for him to come in for a chat to his radio show.

Honestly, though, I know this is your sound, and it makes complete sense because these are the type of tracks that are borderline textbook when it comes people's "definition" of trance. They have the new sound, but the old vibe. It's great. What's next in the mix-queue for you?

Set Archive v2.0

Old Post May-27-2012 01:58 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
Ambient Produce Unit

I'd really like to make an ambitious techno/ambient/drum 'n bass concept mix themed around terraforming and planetary engineering, but it's going to take years to find the right tracks.

Absorb.

Old Post May-27-2012 02:48  England
Teezdalien
Mr. Green Genes

quote:
I'd really like to make an ambitious techno/ambient/drum 'n bass concept mix themed around terraforming and planetary engineering, but it's going to take years to find the right tracks.

Yeah, now that sounds promising. I'll get around to this mix too at some stage, still have your other deep mix which I'll probably dig into later on today, working on a few things right now, some tracks and a new mix which was originally going to be a straight up clubby techno mix but somehow turned into something along the lines you've just hinted at, minus the drum & bass.

A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians. - FZ

Old Post May-27-2012 04:13  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Teezdalien Click here to Send Teezdalien a Private Message Add Teezdalien to your buddy list Teezdalien is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
meriter
Supreme tranceaddict

some pretty boss transitions in here

Old Post May-27-2012 05:33 
Click Here to See the Profile for meriter Click here to Send meriter a Private Message Add meriter to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
enydo
~

PROGRESSIVE YOU SAY?

Old Post May-27-2012 06:50 
Click Here to See the Profile for enydo Click here to Send enydo a Private Message Add enydo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
paulversuspaul
Inventor of the fist pump

quote:

The mixing style on this set is heavily inspired by Sasha, particularly that legendary Essential Mix from 1995. He mixed a lot of tracks right from the intro, for minutes on end, and when you can pull that off it's a really "musical" way of blending tracks. Since I was going to be playing tracks everyone knew, I wanted to mix them in an interesting way.

The Sasha influence is everywhere. He was the king of mixing tracks from intro and outros and focusing on harmonic mixing over beat matching. I used to joke that he only brought 20 records with him so he had to play the tracks in their entirety so that he could stretch the 20 songs into 3-4 hours.

Do you try and produce at all? Me and a good friend are starting to work on a mix inspired by northern exposure and the old PVD sets in which a lot of the tracks are personal reworks with small added productions and touches. I think if you worked on producing or reworking some tracks you could take these mixes to another level.

This guy needs to come back

Old Post May-27-2012 20:07  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for paulversuspaul Click here to Send paulversuspaul a Private Message Add paulversuspaul to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rdevito
Controlling Paradox

quote:
Originally posted by enydo
PROGRESSIVE YOU SAY?

Haha, well it started with Progressive

I have to say Jack, this is your best Trance set i've heard so far. Massive stuff from the beginning to the end.

I loved the transition between Infection and Atlas Wind, nicely done. After that Stone Cold started and the Trance mood flowed pretty well until Saturn, the only 'downside' of this set, but only for me probably, i just didn't like too much of this track.
Invasion started the oblivion, and then the set entered in a pure massive (and i mean massive) part. Relentless was so well mixed that i even 'fist-pumped' after the breakdown.

For the last track i liked the way it finishes your set, it was like: 'ok, you can breath now'.

PS: After hearing this set i just bought Aero Plane and Upstream.

Old Post May-28-2012 13:48  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for rdevito Click here to Send rdevito a Private Message Add rdevito to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
Ambient Produce Unit

quote:
Originally posted by rdevito
Invasion started the oblivion, and then the set entered in a pure massive (and i mean massive) part. Relentless was so well mixed that i even 'fist-pumped' after the breakdown.

Yeah, this was the section I mentioned in my OP, where the tunes worked together so well I thought "I have to make a set based around this". You've read this mix pretty well, because Saturn was also the tune that bridged the gap between the first half and the second half, and as much as I like it, is mainly there because it bridges the harmonic gap between the two halves of the mix.

Absorb.

Old Post May-29-2012 14:36  England
chris1011
Beep-Beep-Beep

Gave this one a listen last night. Must say, I like how your mixes are always entirely or at least almost entirely mixed in key yet still have an uninterruptable flow. Often times there are mixes that are mixed in key with tracks that REALLY shouldn't be in that part of the mix, however this one isn't one of them. I find that people who are self-obsessed with harmonic mixing are not able to judge the energy of the track itself or where they plan on brining the mix, which is dictated by more elements than just the key of the track itself. You obviously aren't one of em.

Also, as most people have already commented, I liked the long transitions, from "intro-outro" like early Sasha

Solid mix throughout. It will make for some great re-listens!

Click here for recent sets and compilations

Old Post May-29-2012 15:49  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for chris1011 Click here to Send chris1011 a Private Message Add chris1011 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

quote:
Since I was going to be playing tracks everyone knew, I wanted to mix them in an interesting way.

Not everyone . Going in I was only familiar with two of the tracks (and it doesn't take a genius to figure out which), though I did recognize several more of the artists.

This set was almost perfect, in my opinion. The flow was fucking impeccable, the songs were utterly fantastic, and the transitions were almost as smooth as can be. Definitely great mixing.

The reason it was only almost perfect was that the transition from Aero Plane to Saturn and Multiverse to Melodica were both a little jarring. Aero Plane to Saturn lasted about half a second, it was just the two vocal samples on top of each other was a little off-putting, but then it went away immediately. I really can't explain what was weird with Multiverse to Melodica, it just made me slightly uncomfortable for about ten seconds after the first vocal sample from Melodica played. The rest of both of those two transitions were marvelous, though, like all of them.

Still, those two minor complaints aside, I fucking loved the set. And it's under 80 minutes, so I can burn it for car trips! Gave it three listens over the weekend, will give it many more in the future. Great work, mate

Old Post May-30-2012 23:42 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > Jack Moss - Distant Places [Progressive Trance]
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread