Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > 0.999...
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
itsamemario
Italian Plumber

Re: 0.999...

quote:
Originally posted by Joss Weatherby
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999

Argued with a couple people about this today. Basically the idea is that in a real number system 0.9999999 with 9 extending for infinity, is equal to 1. They are the same number.

I understand the mathematical concept with real numbers, but I prefer the infinitesimal number system when it comes to this. I feel it is far more logical to assume that 0.999... never reaches 1, it just infinitely gets closer and closer, but never becomes 1. This I think is far more representative of physical world realities.

Any math people have any opinion on this?

Knowing you, I'm pretty sure they were talking about something completely un-related, then you told them all about 0.9999, they tried to join in on the conversation a few times, but after the third correction, they chose to stand there with a puzzled look on their face until you just kinda stopped talking and went away.

good for you!

Old Post Jun-04-2012 14:24 
Click Here to See the Profile for itsamemario Click Here to Email itsamemario Click here to Send itsamemario a Private Message Visit itsamemario's homepage! Add itsamemario to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Joss Weatherby
kinda retired...

Alfi is infinitely approaching intelligence...

Old Post Jun-04-2012 18:07 
Click Here to See the Profile for Joss Weatherby Click here to Send Joss Weatherby a Private Message Visit Joss Weatherby's homepage! Add Joss Weatherby to your buddy list Joss Weatherby is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999

Argued with a couple people about this today. Basically the idea is that in a real number system 0.9999999 with 9 extending for infinity, is equal to 1. They are the same number.

that would not be a real number if the 9 extends to infinity. There is nothing to argue about, they are not the same. any kid that took intro to calculus could show you the proof. What might seem trivial is the reason why we have spaceships, um lazer beams, submarines. It is a pretty basic concept that everyone with a high school education should get, not mathematicians.

Old Post Jun-04-2012 20:29 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Joss Weatherby
kinda retired...

Re: Re: 0.999...

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
that would not be a real number if the 9 extends to infinity. There is nothing to argue about, they are not the same. any kid that took intro to calculus could show you the proof. What might seem trivial is the reason why we have spaceships, um lazer beams, submarines. It is a pretty basic concept that everyone with a high school education should get, not mathematicians.

That is my view too, infinitesimals. Essentially it can't be a number because it is constantly changing, its always going to be more or less than itself, never equal, and not any other number.

Old Post Jun-04-2012 22:13 
Click Here to See the Profile for Joss Weatherby Click here to Send Joss Weatherby a Private Message Visit Joss Weatherby's homepage! Add Joss Weatherby to your buddy list Joss Weatherby is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OurManFlint
P(x) =

Re: Re: 0.999...

quote:

So, you're saying that 0.9999.... is not an element in the set of all real numbers? You might want to think that one through again. If you so sure about that one, I would love to see the proof that it is not an element of the set of all real numbers. That's like saying pi isn't a real number....

Old Post Jun-04-2012 23:58  Mexico
Click Here to See the Profile for OurManFlint Click Here to Email OurManFlint Click here to Send OurManFlint a Private Message Add OurManFlint to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sushipunk
Flickering, I roam

quote:
Originally posted by Meat187

> S u s h i p u n k . P h o t o g r a p h y <

Old Post Jun-05-2012 00:01  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Sushipunk Click here to Send Sushipunk a Private Message Visit Sushipunk's homepage! Add Sushipunk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OurManFlint
P(x) =

Re: Re: Re: 0.999...

quote:
That is my view too, infinitesimals. Essentially it can't be a number because it is constantly changing, its always going to be more or less than itself, never equal, and not any other number.
All irrational and rational numbers are real numbers. 1/3 = 0.3333...
and it is the quotient of 2 integers, so it is rational, and therefore in the set of real numbers. Irrational numbers, like pi and radical 2, are not equal to the quotient of any integers, but they are still real numbers.

Old Post Jun-05-2012 00:06  Mexico
Click Here to See the Profile for OurManFlint Click Here to Email OurManFlint Click here to Send OurManFlint a Private Message Add OurManFlint to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by OurManFlint
So, you're saying that 0.9999.... is not an element in the set of all real numbers? You might want to think that one through again. If you so sure about that one, I would love to see the proof that it is not an element of the set of all real numbers. That's like saying pi isn't a real number....

my bad. definitions escape me as it has been a decade since i have touched math. The point i was making was that 0.9999... is not ever equal to 1.

Old Post Jun-05-2012 00:27 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:

that is not my view. It is a real number, it is not equal to 1. It can be defined by an equation which does not change. I had to go recheck what those definitions meant as it has been years. But no, i do not agree.

Old Post Jun-05-2012 00:32 
Joss Weatherby
kinda retired...

Yea in real numbers they are, but not in infinitesimal numbers where the idea is that you can have an infinitely smaller and smaller fraction of a number, always approaching but never reaching the next number.

The same can be said of pi, pi can be infinitely calculated out, producing more and more accurate results. It doesn't mean that pi is 3.14160 or 3.14158 its 3.14159... forever. Its never below or above that set of numbers its just pi.

For some reason this actually seems more like a philosophical issue than any sort of math issue, since in the real world of percentages of physical things you 1 is definitely not equal to 0.999... It might very quickly become something that is not even apparent in any result set if you are at 99.999...% of something, but its still not 100%, ever, its a physical impossibility. Its either whole or its not whole.

Old Post Jun-05-2012 00:33 
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

but the fact that it lies between 0 and 1 makes it a real number.

Old Post Jun-05-2012 00:34 
Joss Weatherby
kinda retired...

quote:
but the fact that it lies between 0 and 1 makes it a real number.

It never returns NaN in any equation?

Old Post Jun-05-2012 00:51 

tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > 0.999...
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread