Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal > Wat?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
zyklon-jay
The Real Henry Hill

Location: Ici William Bumbray du service de police de la communauté urbaine de Montréal Esti.
Wat?

http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/06/...s-legitimately/

discuss.

Old Post Jun-19-2012 20:48 
Click Here to See the Profile for zyklon-jay Click here to Send zyklon-jay a Private Message Visit zyklon-jay's homepage! Add zyklon-jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

Hmmm, this could be interesting discussion. Soundcloud has been taking down DJ mixes due to label complaints. I haven't heard of Mixcloud doing the same, but that doesn't mean it hasn't, and only stands to reason that they will. If this becomes more rampant, DJ mixes will be harder to distribute legally. If Beatport takes care of paying all the artists who's tracks a DJ features, it's seemingly a win win. The hard part will be getting people to buy something that is usually seen as promotional material for the DJ. I haven't made up my mind on this, but there's definitely a few ways to see it.

Old Post Jun-19-2012 21:01  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for WittyHandle Click here to Send WittyHandle a Private Message Add WittyHandle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
zyklon-jay
The Real Henry Hill

Location: Ici William Bumbray du service de police de la communauté urbaine de Montréal Esti.

Never had a problem. Call me old fashioned, but pay for full tracks, not this shit. They are trying to adapt but are still getting it wrong. It's a cash grab if you look at the structure of the service. Beatport gets 60% of track sales. The only one who will probably gain anything is them. Dummies that play in front of their stuffed animals will all of a sudden think they can get money by doing this, and no one will download their set.

Can you imagine trying to navigate through the amount of hacks? It's bad enough on the producer side of Beatport, I can imagine how bad it is going to be with every jobber from here to Kalamazoo defecating on Beatport some more.

If you give dummies the added (false)incentive of financial gain...oh man.

Old Post Jun-19-2012 21:26 
Click Here to See the Profile for zyklon-jay Click here to Send zyklon-jay a Private Message Visit zyklon-jay's homepage! Add zyklon-jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Casa
Supreme tranceaddict

glhf to licensing all the tracks.

By chance he had a fountain pen in his pocket so I got his signature using my own blood. He claims the pen used to belong to Thomas Jefferson; the same pen which was used to sign the Declaration of Independence. He told me he very rarely uses it but always carries it with him in his back pocket for inspiration.

I never actually took the cube out of the Amazon.com packaging, so he just signed the paper box, but I'm fairly certain it's in there. Just like an original Luke Skywalker action figurine, I feel like it'd be worth much more if it was left in the packaging.

I've never actually listened to the music on the cube, but I'm sure the music is just awe inspring. I understand that the warmth and fidelity of the sound is about one hundred times greater then a vinyl record.

Old Post Jun-19-2012 22:02  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Casa Click here to Send Casa a Private Message Add Casa to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

I don't think financial gain on the part of the DJs posting their mixes is the motive here, but it clearly is for Beatport. They are very selfish when it comes to splitting income with artists and they are very successful. This is potentially another revenue stream for them. They are banking on sites like Soundcloud taking a hit with copyright claims in DJ mixes and looking to fill that niche, cashing in in the process. Many DJs won't post 320s of their mixes because they don't want people to chop tracks out of them, so they post 192s or 128s. This way they can post whatever quality they want.

I doubt anyone who is trying to make a name for themselves and has a brain will think they are going to make money by selling their mixes. They have to give it away to hook listeners. The only DJs that will make bank of this is ones with established followings. As for clouding up Beatport with their amateur mixes, is that a place you normally look for them anyway? It won't be much of a loss if you never cared about it in the first place.

Old Post Jun-19-2012 22:05  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for WittyHandle Click here to Send WittyHandle a Private Message Add WittyHandle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
zyklon-jay
The Real Henry Hill

Meh, even 320 mixes the tracks aren't worth shit as there are no intro/outro and unless the dj is a hack the eq is rarely flat.

@Casa: It seems to be limited to what Beatport has. Some tracks are excluded too. So much good music out there without the need for Beatport. I say this because I'm becoming communist, and I won't be able to buy shit from them i hear in China.

I don't know, it just seems with that Simon Cowell DJ show, Pauly D fever and this will make me associate DJs in the same way i think of a jizz mopper @ a peep show for blind people.

Old Post Jun-19-2012 22:30 
Marcus007
marrrrkeeesssss

Mixes cost $5.29 to purchase
DJ will earn 10%
Label gets 60%
PROs get 30%

Old Post Jun-19-2012 22:30  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Marcus007 Click Here to Email Marcus007 Click here to Send Marcus007 a Private Message Add Marcus007 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

so you can't have your own edits, you can't have unreleased tracks, and you can't have material not for sale on beatport. Not sure what the appeal is. Nobody other than djs go to beatport. djs dont' really care about other djs for the most part and they certainly are not going to buy a mix.

a mix is a promo tool. The problem right now is that the promo part of most mixes is not where it should be. People listen to mixes, mostly podcasts on their ipods/phones. Every mix should have a cue sheet imbedded so that when a track is playing, if you like that track, you just look at what it is and click buy from itunes. And that brings up another problem in that producers don't sell where people actually buy music.

Beatport is just on the wrong page. The days of selling to djs are done. People want to buy tracks. Most people don't enjoy mixes. they want to pick their own songs. You will notice a trend in EDM where the 32 bar intro outro with nothing but drums is pretty much over. Smart producers will have some sort of element that will hook you from the start. Tracks are much shorter as well. The radio shows that do the best are the ones where the dj plays tracks and names them. Not the ones with mixes where you have no fucking idea what is playing,

And sadly, most producers don't seem to realize that there is a huge market for their music but beatport pretty much makes it sort of exclusive to djs.

Itunes kinda blows and the lack of lossless formats is lame but until you address the actual listener, you aren't going to be selling anywhere near what you could. And this old industry model is just so outdated. You can sell to the listener directly. Djs are pretty irrelevant in that regard. You don't need a dj to put your track in a mix to make it palatable. Unless you are making that sort of EDM with the same form you would have in 2000.

Last edited by Looney4Clooney on Jun-19-2012 at 23:26

Old Post Jun-19-2012 23:19 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
corjay9
Chief Executive Ocifer

Haha, whoever pays for these is a fucking sucker. There are so many great podcasts available for free.

Old Post Jun-19-2012 23:25  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for corjay9 Click here to Send corjay9 a Private Message Add corjay9 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
zyklon-jay
The Real Henry Hill

THE FUTURE

Old Post Jun-20-2012 00:45 
ninjahola
Frankie Wilde

On top of all the above mentioned...500Ms isn't much for as set, losing a lot of quality the longer it is.

Old Post Jun-21-2012 16:20  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for ninjahola Click Here to Email ninjahola Click here to Send ninjahola a Private Message Add ninjahola to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
zyklon-jay
The Real Henry Hill

Lets say 2.5 hours give or take and lets say for the sake of averages you play 15 tracks an hour. Round that up to 38.

38 x 2.49, (1.99...doesn't matter.) That is about 95$ 57$ for beatport (60%) 38$ for the label and the artist (whatever that agreement is).

So tons of kids will try and do this at first thinking they can cash in. It might be good to boost sales in general which is good for the artist. No one, and i mean no one is going to pay for mixes with the availability of free stuff everywhere.

Its not the end of the world, but it is silly that the marketing behind this is to give and support the artist more, when in reality beatport will still take the lions share. Its insulting to anyone intelligent, at least to me.

Same thing with the "sales". All they are there for is to start the buying cycle. People end up spending way more on a product that costs beatport essentially nothing. 60% of 0 is still 0, unless there are idiots who sit there and purchase their own mixes to get ranked higher like some producers do with their epic shit productions to squeak into a top 100. Who wins again? Beatport.

It's not my money, but if this was the best option for someone trying to make a living, i would probably be depressed and think it was horseshit.

Buy straight from the label (or sometimes even artist) if you want to support more, don't think for a minute this digital ponzi scheme is doing anything for them.

The compilation went the way of the dodo (who the hell wants to buy pre mixed anything?), and if this is what they are replacing it with it will make licensing less lucrative for producers.

Old Post Jun-21-2012 22:56 

tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal > Wat?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread