Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > DJs and JUKEBOXES - learn to spot the difference!
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Storyteller
Supreme tracneaddict

A forum implies discussion and and it might involve different opinions and perspectives. You seem upset.

Storyteller Website | Storyteller @ Facebook | Storyteller @ Beatport | Storyteller @ Soundcloud | Storyteller @ Twitter
Stephen J. Kroos - Europa (Storyteller Remix) OUT NOW (support by Above & Beyond & more)!
Anthony Mea - Get It On (Storyteller Remix) OUT NOW!

quote:
If less is more think about how much more more would be.
-Frasier

Old Post Jun-25-2012 17:04  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Storyteller Click here to Send Storyteller a Private Message Visit Storyteller's homepage! Add Storyteller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
zyklon-jay
The Real Henry Hill

Location: Ici William Bumbray du service de police de la communauté urbaine de Montréal Esti.

I don't get upset, only erect.

Old Post Jun-25-2012 17:05 
Click Here to See the Profile for zyklon-jay Click here to Send zyklon-jay a Private Message Visit zyklon-jay's homepage! Add zyklon-jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
Ambient Produce Unit

I can sum up the difference in one key distinction:

A jukebox plays tracks people already know.

A DJ can play tracks they've never heard and will never hear again and makes them go nuts.

> BMC DJ Competition [Drum & Bass]
> Human Revolution [Theme Challenge Mix]
> Somnamdublism [Dub Techno]

>>Absorb. [Fortnightly Radio Show]<<

Absorb.

Old Post Jun-25-2012 17:19  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
idoru
You Can Call Me Al

quote:
Originally posted by PivotTechno
Incorrect. The best DJs are also incredibly entertaining.

Incorrect. "Best" is entirely subjective for each individual.

Old Post Jun-25-2012 17:36 
Click Here to See the Profile for idoru Click here to Send idoru a Private Message Add idoru to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Storyteller
Supreme tracneaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I can sum up the difference in one key distinction:

A jukebox plays tracks people already know.

A DJ can play tracks they've never heard and will never hear again and makes them go nuts.

I couldn't agree more on this. Hardly any room for different interpretations in there.

Storyteller Website | Storyteller @ Facebook | Storyteller @ Beatport | Storyteller @ Soundcloud | Storyteller @ Twitter
Stephen J. Kroos - Europa (Storyteller Remix) OUT NOW (support by Above & Beyond & more)!

quote:
-Frasier

Old Post Jun-25-2012 17:39  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Storyteller Click here to Send Storyteller a Private Message Visit Storyteller's homepage! Add Storyteller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PivotTechno
senseless

quote:
Originally posted by idoru
Incorrect. "Best" is entirely subjective for each individual.

Of course, none of this is stated in terms of absolutes. This statement was made relative to Storyteller's implying that highly skilled DJs don't make it out of the bedroom because they don't know how to entertain.

WestsideWax Soundcloud

WestsideWax Mixcloud

New! WestsideWax Archives

Old Post Jun-25-2012 17:52 
Click Here to See the Profile for PivotTechno Click here to Send PivotTechno a Private Message Add PivotTechno to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
zyklon-jay
The Real Henry Hill

Location: Ici William Bumbray du service de police de la communauté urbaine de Montréal Esti.

I jump on the bed for an hour an a half while wearing a panda head just for that exact purpose.

Sometimes i get a raft and pretend i'm white water rafting, but i'm still not there yet as i can't afford the paddles yet.

Old Post Jun-25-2012 17:57 
Click Here to See the Profile for zyklon-jay Click here to Send zyklon-jay a Private Message Visit zyklon-jay's homepage! Add zyklon-jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
idoru
You Can Call Me Al

quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller
I couldn't agree more on this. Hardly any room for different interpretations in there.

Except that I've been in a few situations wherein a jukebox played something I loved and I was unable to identify it, so...

Old Post Jun-25-2012 18:00 
Click Here to See the Profile for idoru Click here to Send idoru a Private Message Add idoru to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Storyteller
Supreme tracneaddict

quote:
Except that I've been in a few situations wherein a jukebox played something I loved and I was unable to identify it, so...

...he might be a dj after all.

Or anyone can decide for themselves whoever is a jukebox or a dj. Skill is not even a factor imo. It's just personal preference. There is no such thing as the definitions in the OP as those are also subjective.

quote:
-Frasier

Old Post Jun-25-2012 18:02  Netherlands
idoru
You Can Call Me Al

quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller
...he might be a dj after all.

I was referring to "jukebox" in the literal sense.

Old Post Jun-25-2012 18:13 
Storyteller
Supreme tracneaddict

D'oh

quote:
-Frasier

Old Post Jun-25-2012 19:15  Netherlands
SYSTEM-J
Ambient Produce Unit

quote:

Yeah, but someone in the bar will have picked that tune out. The essential distinction is that a jukebox only plays what people tell it to play, and so a metaphorical jukebox DJ is someone who can only play what the crowd want to hear, what they already know. When people use "human jukebox" in a derogatory sense they generally mean someone who plays hits one after the other. This is what most big name DJs do these days, that's the world Deadmau5 inhabits and that's why he (and people in the Deadmau5 thread) can't really comprehend what a good DJ does. The majority of these people live in the pop sphere of electronic music where everything is spoon-fed and things still essentially operate like pop music.

> BMC DJ Competition [Drum & Bass]
> Human Revolution [Theme Challenge Mix]
> Somnamdublism [Dub Techno]

>>Absorb. [Fortnightly Radio Show]<<

Absorb.

Old Post Jun-25-2012 20:09  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > DJs and JUKEBOXES - learn to spot the difference!
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread