Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Ambient versus New Age
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Vector A
Supreme tranceaddict

Ambient versus New Age

In another thread, Sykonee wrote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sykonee
And yeah, ambient and New Age tended to go hand-in-hand in the early years, sharing the same synthy attributes and atmosphere. Then New Age got... well, corny, a bit too focused on actual musicianship than simple droning synth sweeps. Least that's the divide between ambient and New Age that I found.

What about everybody else? How would you draw the line between the two genres?

I don't think one can point to a difference in instrumentation, since both ambient and New Age have completely "synthy" forms and completely organic, acoustic ones. It has always seemed to me that ambient has a stronger tendency to warp recordings and samples in a more pronounced way (going all the way back to Brian Eno*) than New Age does, but I could be wrong about that. Perhaps New Age is also more melody-focused than a lot of ambient.

Of course, it's entirely possible that some New Age music belongs under the broad umbrella of "ambient," but I really don't think that all of it does. For an obvious example: Yanni.

* Eno himself had a pretty negative view of New Age music, saying in an interview: "...like any other category of music, eg. 'classical', 'jazz', 'pop' or whatever, of course there is good and bad. In the New Age case, however, there is more bad than good because of the mindless use of electronics that current technology has given birth to - it has become very easy for anyone to produce a tape of blurring noises mixed with 'pretty' sounds and call it New Age. I realise I am partly responsible for this and regret the misunderstanding."

Last edited by Vector A on Jul-03-2012 at 18:35

Old Post Jul-03-2012 18:11  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

The distinction I found was New Age music has jazz-like elements to it; say, a lute diddling over running water. Though there's a calm, relaxing atmosphere, you still get a sense of an actual musician in that environment, whom you're watching.

Ambient music simply paints a canvas with sound. It makes the listener a part of that environment, rather than a spectator.

(and, gee man, you could'a linked to the thread )

(~)

Old Post Jul-03-2012 18:22  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
Ambient Produce Unit

I would say the difference is primarily in the attitudes and scene surrounding the music, as opposed to strictly musical attributes. New Age is a "spiritual movement" and New Age music is simply music that embodies or associates itself with New Age beliefs. There is no single musical characteristic you could definitively say all New Age music has that all ambient doesn't, and vice versa.

> BMC DJ Competition [Drum & Bass]
> Human Revolution [Theme Challenge Mix]
> Somnamdublism [Dub Techno]

>>Absorb. [Fortnightly Radio Show]<<

Absorb.

Old Post Jul-03-2012 18:27  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
zyklon-jay
The Real Henry Hill

Location: Ici William Bumbray du service de police de la communauté urbaine de Montréal Esti.

I've always wanted to hit Yanni in the face with a shovel. Man that guy annoys the piss out of me.

Old Post Jul-03-2012 18:35 
Click Here to See the Profile for zyklon-jay Click here to Send zyklon-jay a Private Message Visit zyklon-jay's homepage! Add zyklon-jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Supreme tranceaddict

New Age: music that makes you want to hit its creator in the face with a shovel?

Old Post Jul-03-2012 18:47  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
zyklon-jay
The Real Henry Hill

Location: Ici William Bumbray du service de police de la communauté urbaine de Montréal Esti.

Nou makes Ambient no?

Old Post Jul-03-2012 18:50 
Click Here to See the Profile for zyklon-jay Click here to Send zyklon-jay a Private Message Visit zyklon-jay's homepage! Add zyklon-jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Supreme tranceaddict

Yeah, he makes ambient, or used to at least.

Old Post Jul-03-2012 18:54  United States
zyklon-jay
The Real Henry Hill

So the hit in the face with a shovel description remains ambiguous to both genres and therefore can not be used to differentiate one from the other. We are totally like scientists.

Old Post Jul-03-2012 19:43 
Omar Little
Senior tranceaddict

so good...

Old Post Jul-03-2012 20:02  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Omar Little Click here to Send Omar Little a Private Message Add Omar Little to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Titanium
Supreme tranceaddict

I thought something like this is new Age well its new age piano.

Old Post Jul-03-2012 23:48 
Click Here to See the Profile for Titanium Click here to Send Titanium a Private Message Add Titanium to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
lostpsyte
tranceaddict

So does anyone have any new age albums they could recommend?

After listening to that mix, it seems like shpongle & the infinity project('s ambient stuff) etc seems to be quite a bit influenced by new age stuff as well as ambient/dub. Which I found interesting.

Old Post Jul-05-2012 11:45  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for lostpsyte Click here to Send lostpsyte a Private Message Add lostpsyte to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
chode_breath
Junior tranceaddict

The difference between the two is like the difference between trance and euro trance/dance. The line is often thin but when it's crossed you'll probably know.

Old Post Jul-05-2012 12:48  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for chode_breath Click here to Send chode_breath a Private Message Add chode_breath to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Ambient versus New Age
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread