Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Track of the year?
Pages (11): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Alero50
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Bierheld
bring forward a track which is effectively an audio-book of ancient trance clichés.

My point exactly.

Old Post Jul-17-2012 12:08  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Alero50 Click here to Send Alero50 a Private Message Add Alero50 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rdevito
Controlling Paradox

quote:
Originally posted by Alero50

^^ Kudos to you, amazing tune. However not from 2012. It's easy to just pick a tune and tell us that is better than ours. Show us your picks from 2012. Nobody here wants your or mine definition of a particular EDM genre, don't ruin this thread.

Also, U-Recken is Psy and has nothing to do with Timewave. NOTHING. Not even Astrix or Talamasca or Delirious ffs, you are talking nonsense.

Man Machine, Mindwave, Progenitor, Echotek, Zyce, Timelock these are the guys that sounds like U-Recken. See, i know underground Psy too (duh).

Last edited by rdevito on Jul-17-2012 at 20:24

Old Post Jul-17-2012 14:36  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for rdevito Click here to Send rdevito a Private Message Add rdevito to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
fredjan
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:

Good tracks, but they have little to do with Timewave lol
This is probably what you're referring to:

Old Post Jul-17-2012 16:49  Mexico
Click Here to See the Profile for fredjan Click here to Send fredjan a Private Message Add fredjan to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
Ambient Produce Unit

quote:
I can't help but sense a bit of irony here System-J. Since you criticized the OP for presenting a track that is old fashioned, and then proceed to bring forward a track which is effectively an audio-book of ancient trance clichés.

Well, firstly I should make clear I wasn't nominating it as my overall track of the year (that would be something non-dancefloor, possibly ASC - A Song For Hope), I was replying to a guy who'd posted a lot of dancefloor trance. I certainly think that Artifact303 is the most visceral dancefloor thing I've heard all year, which has nothing to do with originality, but I wouldn't really think about straightforward club records, because the format is inherently limited.

With regards tracks like the new Timewave, Airwave, Cosmithex etc. stuff. It's all really fucking good, but I would be the first to say it's just a modern update on progressive trance, and the reason we're jumping on it is because that sound had effectively vanished for five years or more. It's quite fresh to hear, simply because it's become so rare.

However, when it comes to the Artifact303 mix of The 10th Life... I can only think of a handful of artists who have genuinely collided melodic Euro trance with full-on psy heaviness in the past, most notably Protoculture and possibly some latter-era Astral Projection. It's started to become a trend in the last year or so with people like Magnus and Lyctum, but this remix is still just so ridiculously busy and packed full of ideas compared to just about any competitor. Jokes about nominating a track from the wrong year aside, my real issue with the OP's track is that it has no ideas. It's like a pastiche of a dance record. I can dig straight-up dancefloor records that "do a job" or whatever, but the only reason I would separate one as track of the year is if it's going to go maximalist and throw everything and the kitchen sink in there.

> BMC DJ Competition [Drum & Bass]
> Human Revolution [Theme Challenge Mix]
> Somnamdublism [Dub Techno]

>>Absorb. [Fortnightly Radio Show]<<

Absorb.

Old Post Jul-17-2012 18:39  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Bierheld
Supreme tranceaddict

Well I don't have much else add. I'm not one for bickering about which track is better. To me they both seem like startlingly similar concepts, superficial differences aside. I can imagine that if a track pushes all the right buttons for you, and all you live for is dance music, you could rightfully nominate it for track of the year. It is only reasonable to judge a track on what it is trying to accomplish after all, and dance music doesn't really have any other purpose.

On a more levity note: I was reminded of this track. 6+ minutes of ideas, only this time they're dub clichés

(not a nomination)

Old Post Jul-17-2012 19:46  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Bierheld Click here to Send Bierheld a Private Message Add Bierheld to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Alero50
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by rdevito
^^ Kudos to you, amazing tune. However not from 2012. It's easy to just pick a tune and tell us that is better than ours. Show us your picks from 2012. Nobody here wants your or mine definition of a particular EDM genre, don't ruin this thread.

Also, U-Recken is Psy and has nothing to do with Timewave. NOTHING. Not even Astrix or Talamasca or Delirious ffs, you are talking nonsense.

Man Machine, Mindwave, Progenitor, Echotek, Zyce, Timelock these are the guys that sounds like U-Recken. See, i know underground Psy too (duh).

1. None of the tunes I posted are my 2012 picks, I never implied that they are my picks either, I suggest you read my post again and then you will understand why I posted the psykovsky tune and why I've said what I have.

2. If you would again, read through, you would notice that I wrote that the U-recken track, is similar to the artifact 303 mix of Joof, not to Timewave, but then again, Timewave is similar to that too, you can't argue the difference, it would be false.

3. Despite you naming some artists from the full-on genre, Your knowledge of "underground" psy, is just shallow man, did you copy the Ozora line up or something?

4. I don't have 2012 picks yet, when I'll have, I'll post them around the end of the year, and they won't be trance/psy trance, because I don't listen to the genres that much anymore.

Old Post Jul-17-2012 23:31  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Alero50 Click here to Send Alero50 a Private Message Add Alero50 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
fredjan
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
If you would again, read through, you would notice that I wrote that the U-recken track, is similar to the artifact 303 mix of Joof, not to Timewave

quote:
And just to add, fredjan, If you want a similar track to the Joof artifact 303 mix, or Timewave, youtube U-Recken, his material mostly consists of that.

Elements was pretty cool btw, thanks for the suggestions.
Yeah, The 10th Life definitely resembles full on psytrance; on the other hand, Timewave is more like melodic trance with psy influences.

quote:

cool track.

Last edited by fredjan on Jul-18-2012 at 00:19

Old Post Jul-18-2012 00:05  Mexico
Click Here to See the Profile for fredjan Click here to Send fredjan a Private Message Add fredjan to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
RapidFire
Supreme tranceaddict

haven't listened to a lot of dance music this year but this track caught my attention;

Old Post Jul-18-2012 01:17  Serbia
Click Here to See the Profile for RapidFire Click Here to Email RapidFire Click here to Send RapidFire a Private Message Add RapidFire to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Alero50
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Well I don't have much else add. I'm not one for bickering about which track is better. To me they both seem like startlingly similar concepts, superficial differences aside. I can imagine that if a track pushes all the right buttons for you, and all you live for is dance music, you could rightfully nominate it for track of the year. It is only reasonable to judge a track on what it is trying to accomplish after all, and dance music doesn't really have any other purpose.

On a more levity note: I was reminded of this track. 6+ minutes of ideas, only this time they're dub clichés

(not a nomination)

Reminds me of Autechre's 12 hour webmix, I'll go listen to it now I guess..

Old Post Jul-18-2012 01:19  Netherlands
Mark Anthony
Dance Floor Poet

Really REALLY need to see J00F live.

Thank you TA members for the support!

Old Post Jul-18-2012 02:20  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Anthony Click here to Send Mark Anthony a Private Message Add Mark Anthony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
Ambient Produce Unit

quote:
2. If you would again, read through, you would notice that I wrote that the U-recken track, is similar to the artifact 303 mix of Joof.

It isn't, though. It doesn't sound anything like that track, beyond having a heavy psy bassline. And I go to underground psy parties all the time, and I never hear anything like that Artifact303 remix. Most full-on is nowhere near that melodic or anthemic. It's all about 10bpm faster, is much more minimal and heads-down, and is more likely to feature those distinctive twisted synth sounds than arpeggios or big pads. All of which is pretty much present in that U-Recken track. As for saying Timewave sounds like full-on... You just have no fucking clue what you're talking about. At all. Stop taking so much acid, it's clearly ruining your critical faculties.

> BMC DJ Competition [Drum & Bass]
> Human Revolution [Theme Challenge Mix]
> Somnamdublism [Dub Techno]

>>Absorb. [Fortnightly Radio Show]<<

Absorb.

Old Post Jul-18-2012 03:45  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Juan Paulino
Come Away O Human Child

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Anthony
Really REALLY need to see J00F live.

Yeah me too, he's like the opposite of all those jukeboxes out there.

Juan Paulino - Quantum Break (Original Mix) [Progressive Breaks]

Old Post Jul-18-2012 06:16  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Juan Paulino Click here to Send Juan Paulino a Private Message Visit Juan Paulino's homepage! Add Juan Paulino to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Track of the year?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (11): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread