Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > OC Weekly Blasts Openers...
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
LAdazeNYnights
Crossing Swords

quote:
Originally posted by Cool1g
I don't know if these openers just don't care or don't know any better.

I'd imagine it's a combination of the two. They think "oh yeah of course opening djs shouldn't play peak hour stuff, but I'm no opening dj. DJ Supa Hot Fire. That's me. Once they here me mashup levels and maximal crazy they're gonna ask ME to headline parties. "

Old Post Jul-14-2012 07:14  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for LAdazeNYnights Click here to Send LAdazeNYnights a Private Message Add LAdazeNYnights to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
anomalies
Supreme tranceaddict

As far as openers go, Kristina Sky is one of the best I've seen. Trent Cantrell is pretty good too, very versatile. I'm just glad Insomniac stopped booking Bamaca (no offense to him, just thought he was boring as shit).

Old Post Jul-14-2012 19:01  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for anomalies Click here to Send anomalies a Private Message Add anomalies to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
dj_minor
Senior tranceaddict

Best opener I ever saw was Alain Octavo before Markus Schulz on NYE at Ruby Skye. Started off with chillout then went groovy and picked it up just enough before Markus came on.

Old Post Jul-14-2012 19:32  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for dj_minor Click here to Send dj_minor a Private Message Add dj_minor to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jdub889
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by anomalies
As far as openers go, Kristina Sky is one of the best I've seen. Trent Cantrell is pretty good too, very versatile. I'm just glad Insomniac stopped booking Bamaca (no offense to him, just thought he was boring as shit).

Kristina and Trent are both very good, they do a good job of treading the line between playing recognizable tracks and just doing the boring 'play the top 20 deep house tracks from beatport' routine

Old Post Jul-14-2012 19:53  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for jdub889 Click here to Send jdub889 a Private Message Add jdub889 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
moretechplease
tranceaddict

This is hilarious, I was dying when I read this. I've gotten to work with the Yost quite a bit this year and while they are great people, they don't know how to run a night club. Particularly a dance music club where there are certain crucial aspects (such as a solid opener) that are sometimes irrelevant in other clubs. This dumbass brought 100 people to the show (I still don't know how, he has no talent) and all the Yost saw was $$$$. They care nothing about the scene, only about the money. Unfortunate. I hope Vegas' dance music cacophony and nonsense don't continue to make their way to Socal

Old Post Jul-16-2012 00:53  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for moretechplease Click here to Send moretechplease a Private Message Add moretechplease to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
alan
is INCOGNITO

A better read about the esoteric act of opening DJs

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1095

MOONLIGHT - Evening open air parties
ARTWALK AFTERHOURS - One offs
TEKNOLOGIK - One offs

Old Post Jul-16-2012 01:42  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for alan Click here to Send alan a Private Message Visit alan's homepage! Add alan to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DaveT
NEED PERSONAL COPY-EDITOR

quote:
Originally posted by anomalies

1/2 agree with you -- you need to see more proper openers.

Old Post Jul-16-2012 01:57  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveT Click here to Send DaveT a Private Message Visit DaveT's homepage! Add DaveT to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
trancension
Supreme tranceaddict

Not playing songs by the headlining DJ is really basic stuff...just common courtesy. Whoa this guy must be an amateur.

Old Post Jul-16-2012 02:17  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for trancension Click here to Send trancension a Private Message Visit trancension's homepage! Add trancension to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Juan Paulino
Come Away O Human Child

quote:
Originally posted by alan
A better read about the esoteric act of opening DJs

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1095

Nice, good find.

Juan Paulino - Quantum Break (Original Mix) [Progressive Breaks]

Old Post Jul-16-2012 04:42  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Juan Paulino Click here to Send Juan Paulino a Private Message Visit Juan Paulino's homepage! Add Juan Paulino to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
KarenLuvs2Party
Max Graham's #1 Fan

ive seen deone spin opening sets for a few clubs in OC.. one was for donald glaude at Heat and the other one was for someone at Ten/Red/8eighty8/Tentation about 2-3 years ago.. and he rolls with an entourage too .. LOL.its quite funny..

i remember him banging out anthems..mainstream stuff..but it's orange county.. most of the pple like that shit

id say 20% of the people at most OC shows would care if the opening dj made all those "mistakes" mentioned in the write up.. people at these clubs just wanna get drunk..dance..pop bottles and find some rats to help finish em.. (*side rant: so sick of seeing pple i use to go to high school with and all of a sudden they are "big fans of edm" ..i remember they use to say to me "you still listening to that rave shit? thats so 1999")

and like others said.. a lot of club owners in OC just want the $$.. OC party scene is small..same promoters..same photographers..same crowd..same everything.. when it comes to opening djs... they just book whatever buddy of theirs or friend of a friend to play opening/closing sets..a lot of these djs don't get booked anywhere else besides OC (maybe 909 or SD sometimes)

Last edited by KarenLuvs2Party on Jul-16-2012 at 06:36

Old Post Jul-16-2012 06:28  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for KarenLuvs2Party Click here to Send KarenLuvs2Party a Private Message Add KarenLuvs2Party to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
junkproject
Supreme tranceaddict

With the rise of the cheese and technology.Everybody and their moms are djs now.

Old Post Jul-16-2012 08:49  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for junkproject Click here to Send junkproject a Private Message Add junkproject to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Juan Paulino
Come Away O Human Child

quote:
Originally posted by junkproject
With the rise of the cheese and technology.Everybody and their moms are djs now.

+1

Juan Paulino - Quantum Break (Original Mix) [Progressive Breaks]

Old Post Jul-16-2012 08:58  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Juan Paulino Click here to Send Juan Paulino a Private Message Visit Juan Paulino's homepage! Add Juan Paulino to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > OC Weekly Blasts Openers...
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread