Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > 14 dead, over 50 injured, brutally murdered at Denver theatre during The Dark Knight.
Pages (32): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
DOOMBOT
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Lews
To play devil's advocate for a moment, do you have any statistics to back up robbers stealing firearms rather than being scared off or shot? It's the same argument here, on both sides, but I'm curious as to what the stats say.

Gun laws are much more strict in Brazil then they are in the USA. Many people in Brazil don't have a way of defending themselves like they do in the USA, which leaves them more open to things like being robbed. A lot of people simply rely on other people who are in gangs to protect them, which is obviously a bad thing to have to do. So obviously strict gun laws don't help the situation, they typically have the reverse effect. If a state makes it more difficult for people to protect themselves, they leave them wide open to attacks from crazy people who are going to get them anyway.

Old Post Jul-23-2012 00:13 
Click Here to See the Profile for DOOMBOT Click here to Send DOOMBOT a Private Message Add DOOMBOT to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Joss Weatherby
kinda retired...

... you're an idiot.

Old Post Jul-23-2012 00:14 
Click Here to See the Profile for Joss Weatherby Click here to Send Joss Weatherby a Private Message Visit Joss Weatherby's homepage! Add Joss Weatherby to your buddy list Joss Weatherby is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DOOMBOT
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Joss Weatherby
... you're an idiot.

Impressive argument. Got me there.

Old Post Jul-23-2012 00:18 
Click Here to See the Profile for DOOMBOT Click here to Send DOOMBOT a Private Message Add DOOMBOT to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
netroM

quote:
Originally posted by DOOMBOT
inane babbling about everyone should have a gun in brazil

Can you not read? I mean, just two posts above you is this:
quote:
There was a survey investigating what happened in Rio when an armed robber attacked both an armed and a disarmed target: The odds of the target being shot was 180x higher if they were armed, and the chances of getting hurt was 57x higher if they had a gun.

Old Post Jul-23-2012 00:26  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for netroM Click here to Send netroM a Private Message Add netroM to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Joss Weatherby
kinda retired...

quote:
Impressive argument. Got me there.

Old Post Jul-23-2012 00:29 
Click Here to See the Profile for Joss Weatherby Click here to Send Joss Weatherby a Private Message Visit Joss Weatherby's homepage! Add Joss Weatherby to your buddy list Joss Weatherby is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DOOMBOT
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by netroM
Can you not read? I mean, just two posts above you is this:

Oh damn, didn't realize that 1 survey was the end all be all on this subject. I mean, I guess if I found a survey that argued the opposite, I could use the same stupid logic that you are right now.

Out of curiosity, did you read the survey that was written in Portuguese?

The fact still remains; it's a country with a lot of violence and strict gun laws. I suppose the argument of many here is that if Brazil's gun laws were similar to the ones in the USA, their violent crime figures would be highers. This is something that needs to be proven on your part.

Last edited by DOOMBOT on Jul-23-2012 at 00:36

Old Post Jul-23-2012 00:31 
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

Do you have a study that shows the opposite? Or a study showing what happened in similar cases in the United States?

Old Post Jul-23-2012 02:47 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DOOMBOT
Supreme tranceaddict

Here is a recent event that just occurred.

http://www.therightscoop.com/awesom...afe-in-florida/
http://articles.nydailynews.com/201...-fatal-shooting

Old Post Jul-23-2012 03:41 
EddieZilker
This is the dance.

quote:
Here is a recent event that just occurred.

http://www.therightscoop.com/awesom...afe-in-florida/
http://articles.nydailynews.com/201...-fatal-shooting

I somehow doubt a single anecdotal outlier in support of your claim amounts to much.

Now with extra singles!
my old stuff, not quite up to snuff - but I still dig it - UPDATED 9/23/2012

Old Post Jul-23-2012 03:47  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for EddieZilker Click here to Send EddieZilker a Private Message Visit EddieZilker's homepage! Add EddieZilker to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Put on robe & wizard hat!

quote:
So obviously strict gun laws don't help the situation, they typically have the reverse effect.

Actually, it seems not. I wish I had a better piece of evidence than the document I posted, but Brazil is not exactly famous for having legions of number-crunching statisticians telling us what our country is like, so I guess it'll do for now.

The reason why people appear on the news when they kill the robber, I believe, is because a successful defence is much rarer (and much more awesome) than a failed attempt. It's the same reason why aeroplane crashes receive a lot more media attention than the numerous car accidents that happen in any given country: you report what's rare, not what's common.

quote:
Originally said by Maurice Moss
I came here to kick ass and drink milk... and I've just finished my milk

Old Post Jul-23-2012 04:13 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click Here to Email Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DOOMBOT
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by EddieZilker
I somehow doubt a single anecdotal outlier in support of your claim amounts to much.

There are many more out there.

God I love Google.

Even better that you still try to find a way to skirt around a real life example of what I'm talking about.

Last edited by DOOMBOT on Jul-23-2012 at 05:07

Old Post Jul-23-2012 04:17 
DOOMBOT
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
Actually, it seems not. I wish I had a better piece of evidence than the document I posted, but Brazil is not exactly famous for having legions of number-crunching statisticians telling us what our country is like, so I guess it'll do for now.

The reason why people appear on the news when they kill the robber, I believe, is because a successful defence is much rarer (and much more awesome) than a failed attempt. It's the same reason why aeroplane crashes receive a lot more media attention than the numerous car accidents that happen in any given country: you report what's rare, not what's common.

Which is why relying on the news, for example, isn't usually the most reliable source of information for things. When I look at Brazil, I don't really feel that it is very hard to figure out why there are as many violent crimes as there are. As mentioned before, gun laws are extremely strict and any time I talk with Brazilians on the issue, they seem to have the belief that these gun laws are necessary, all while they lay defenseless to crimes committed to those people who are going to get these guns anyway and commit a violent act.

On the flip side, you take a country like the USA, where yes it does have its share of problems, doesn't seem to have the level of violent crimes as countries like Brazil. I believe it is because more people have the ability to defend themselves here then countries like in Brazil. A robber is probably going to think twice about robbing a house in Bucks County, PA for example, knowing that more then every other house probably has someone living there ready to defend themselves with gun. In Brazil, robbers are most likely thinking the exact opposite.

My opinion though. I still love Brazil and its people.

Old Post Jul-23-2012 04:39 

tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > 14 dead, over 50 injured, brutally murdered at Denver theatre during The Dark Knight.
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (32): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread