Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Should I buy new headphones for mixing?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Lobst
tranceaddict in training

Should I buy new headphones for mixing?

I'm moving around a lot these days so I'm stuck producing on a laptop with headphones for a few years. With that said, I've always used headphones because I simply haven't lived in places where I could use monitors. Right now I'm using some sub-$100 Sennheiser and I really feel like I should be upgrading, even though I know sound quality isn't the primary reason why my tracks aren't good enough.

I read about the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 and it seemed like a good option. They are within my budget range and I haven't heard any complaints about them. But how are they for mixing? Good enough?

The problem I have though, is that I am almost completely clueless when it comes to hardware. Amplifiers, different type of chords, jacks, sound cards...I have no idea how the affect the sound which makes it a little intimidating to spend like $400 on a pair of headphones when I don't know if I'll get the best sound of of them. Let's say I'd just plug them into the mini-jack (or through a USB-adapter) into my brand new $1500 laptop - Would I be missing out on much?

I appreciate any advice, thanks!

Old Post Jul-23-2012 23:34  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for Lobst Click here to Send Lobst a Private Message Add Lobst to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wayfinder
Supreme tranceaddict

it would probably be worth the $100 to get a decent little mobile sound card along with them, my laptop jack is quite noisy for example (dell) and it's a 1.5" jack so the connection isn't that stable. so i got a traktor audio 2.

i think it's important to have headphones as an OPTION, not as your only means of listening.

http://soundcloud.com/wayfu

Chronology – a wayfinder discography in progress. Roughly sorted by date of creation.

Old Post Jul-24-2012 03:38  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for wayfinder Click here to Send wayfinder a Private Message Visit wayfinder's homepage! Add wayfinder to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lobst
tranceaddict in training

quote:
Originally posted by wayfinder
it would probably be worth the $100 to get a decent little mobile sound card along with them, my laptop jack is quite noisy for example (dell) and it's a 1.5" jack so the connection isn't that stable. so i got a traktor audio 2.

i think it's important to have headphones as an OPTION, not as your only means of listening.

Well there's no other option for me since I'm moving around the world and need to be as mobile as possible. So for a few years, it will be the ONLY option for me. That's why I need them to be good, while at the same time not too expensive ($500 max).

So how much would a $100 sound card improve the sound quality? Actually, just out of curiousity, how much would a $10000 sound card improve the sound quality? Would it be noticable?

Do I need some kind of amplifier by the way?

Old Post Jul-24-2012 04:23  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for Lobst Click here to Send Lobst a Private Message Add Lobst to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LoveHate

yeah most high end headphones require a amp of some sort to live up to its full potential usually the 100 dollar ones do fine, i mean its not totally necessary, but if you are a audio geek it adds some sparkle There really is countless of threads debating which headphone is perfect for production, specially at that price range. For me personally the AKG Q701 are probably the top of the food chain , but the beyerdynamic dt 880's are also held in high regard for dance music, basically after doing some research you'll find that making the right choice is pretty difficult and its more reliable to test drive them all if its possible at a audio store.

Old Post Jul-24-2012 07:58  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for LoveHate Click here to Send LoveHate a Private Message Add LoveHate to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wayfinder
Supreme tranceaddict

I use a Traktor Audio 2 sound card and Sennheiser HD 595/AKG K271 MkII (like the Sennheisers better). Total cost about €350. I don't need another amp in the chain, it's loud enough.

http://soundcloud.com/wayfu

Chronology – a wayfinder discography in progress. Roughly sorted by date of creation.

Old Post Jul-24-2012 11:24  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for wayfinder Click here to Send wayfinder a Private Message Visit wayfinder's homepage! Add wayfinder to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Juan Paulino
Come Away O Human Child

A lot of new headphones came out, i was going to make a thread about them in the dj booth but i'm too lazy.

Juan Paulino - Quantum Break (Original Mix) [Progressive Breaks]

Old Post Jul-24-2012 13:20  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Juan Paulino Click here to Send Juan Paulino a Private Message Visit Juan Paulino's homepage! Add Juan Paulino to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
studiobob
Senior tranceaddict

i've sorted a laptop setup. macbook, focusrite saffire pro and a pair of ATH M40 headphones. so £250 on monitoring/soundcard. if i had more to spend i'd consider the DT880s or sennheisers but these ATs are really good value for money. the sound is good and clear and so far translates quite well though i haven't had them long. mot importantly they are comfy and i can wear them for long periods without feeling uncomfortable. i think if you spend more than £300 on a pair of headphones the law of diminishing returns applies. also if your travelling you probably want sturdy as well - again the ATs feel pretty solid.

Old Post Jul-24-2012 20:58  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for studiobob Click here to Send studiobob a Private Message Visit studiobob's homepage! Add studiobob to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MSZ
godspeed

quote:
Originally posted by Juan Paulino
A lot of new headphones came out, i was going to make a thread about them in the dj booth but i'm too lazy.

Skull candy? beats by dre?

Some of my favourite sound designers and mixers use the Sens Hd600 and the AKG 701's.

Old Post Jul-25-2012 00:58  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for MSZ Click here to Send MSZ a Private Message Add MSZ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lobst
tranceaddict in training

I like Sennheiser and people keep recommending these headphones so I think I've pretty much settled on either HD600 or HD650. I want to buy the HD650 because they are newer and more expensive. But they are not that much more expensive than the HD600 so I'm a little curious why those sound designers you mentioned, MSZ, are using the HD600. Is it because they simply are better for audio production? With that said, I don't think the difference is too big for me so it probably doesn't matter too much which ones I pick.

Now I just have to figure out what kind of soundcard I should buy. I would love one of those Traktor Audio 2, but I can't find any place where they sell them here (not even online!) and I don't want to go through the hazzle of importing unless it's absolutely necessary. So if I bought a pair of HD600/650 and wanted a soundcard for maximum $150, what would you guys recommend, other than Traktor Audio 2?

Old Post Jul-25-2012 05:02  Sweden
Juan Paulino
Come Away O Human Child

quote:
Originally posted by MSZ
Skull candy? beats by dre?

Some of my favourite sound designers and mixers use the Sens Hd600 and the AKG 701's.

Nah not those

The headphones I'm talkin about are the ones made by beatport.

Old Post Jul-25-2012 15:03  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Juan Paulino Click here to Send Juan Paulino a Private Message Visit Juan Paulino's homepage! Add Juan Paulino to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MSZ
godspeed

Bad idea, they're closed and made for dj climate. My friend owns a pair, AKG offers more clarity.

Old Post Jul-25-2012 19:01  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for MSZ Click here to Send MSZ a Private Message Add MSZ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Juan Paulino
Come Away O Human Child

quote:
Originally posted by MSZ
Bad idea, they're closed and made for dj climate. My friend owns a pair, AKG offers more clarity.

It was a joke.

Old Post Jul-25-2012 19:32  United States

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Should I buy new headphones for mixing?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playback[1969] []

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playback[1969]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread