Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Karma
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Intellekshual
tranceaddict in training

"Karma is a bitch"
There isn't a day that goes by that I don't see/hear this phrase, somewhere.
Am I the only one who thinks the whole spiritual "karma system" is a load of bollocks? You really believe what goes around comes around?.. That's just how the world works. There are good things and bad things that have happened, are happening, and always will be happening. It's just called "life"

The idea of "karma" is comforting to some, I'm sure. But I think it's just a product of our own superstitious mind.

Discuss

Old Post Aug-10-2012 02:31  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Intellekshual Click here to Send Intellekshual a Private Message Add Intellekshual to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sushipunk
Flickering, I roam

Agreed. Hippy nonsense, IMO.

> S u s h i p u n k . P h o t o g r a p h y <

Old Post Aug-10-2012 02:32  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Sushipunk Click here to Send Sushipunk a Private Message Visit Sushipunk's homepage! Add Sushipunk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OrangestO
Supreme tranceaddict

What about things happening for a reason?

Sometimes things happen way too coincidentally and in perfect sequence for there not to be an underlying purpose or cause of it.

But yea, life is life. Shit happens. The good die young. Murphy's Law.

Old Post Aug-10-2012 02:35 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

I don't observe the true depth of Karmic teaching, and bad things have and will happen to very good people, but there is most certainly some moments that just seem so poetic, when bad things happening cartain cvnts, and said cvts really had it coming.

What goes around does come around. It's not quite an equal payer system but some people have gone out of their way for me in the past, and I've tried to help a lot of people throughout my life, so in that way it does go around.

Old Post Aug-10-2012 02:38 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sushipunk
Flickering, I roam

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
but there is most certainly some moments that just seem so poetic, when bad things happening cartain cvnts, and said cvts really had it coming.

I get what you're saying, but I think that "bad" people in general tend to have bad attitudes and behave poorly. This is what attracts "bad" things happening to them, not some mystical force dolling out events to balance things. IMO, of course.

> S u s h i p u n k . P h o t o g r a p h y <

Old Post Aug-10-2012 02:44  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Sushipunk Click here to Send Sushipunk a Private Message Visit Sushipunk's homepage! Add Sushipunk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Put on robe & wizard hat!

Objectively speaking, karma is rubbish. Things happen at random and someone who breaks the rules far too often is more likely to find a kindred spirit than someone who is more disciplined (although nothing prevents the wrongdoer from lucking out and the moral person from being unjustly punished)... but that's about it.

However, I'm amazed by how incredible it is psychologically, and I can't help praising the possible motivation behind it.

If you think about it for a second, the reason this idea spread out of India with so much strength is because it's genius: It's the ultimate form of institutionalised Schadenfreude, in which you seek to explain how fair the world is by punishing your foes without doing anything. You just sit and wait, hear that something bad has happened to the person, and declare karma has acted on your behalf. In a way, it's no surprise that this is tied together with a system of thought that preaches non-violence - it appeases the human drive for revenge and asks for very little in return.

So the social reality behind it does deserve some praise... even if, ontologically speaking, it's just pure nonsense.

quote:
Originally said by Maurice Moss
I came here to kick ass and drink milk... and I've just finished my milk

Old Post Aug-10-2012 02:46 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click Here to Email Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Halcyon+On+On
Liebchen

Somewhere between Schadenfreude, Confirmation Bias, and all of the contrasts and nuanced juxtapositions that lie between, is the flush of dopamine we feel when a poor, hard-working single mother wins the lottery, or a wealthy asshole who spits on the homeless gets raped by a marauding band of AIDS hobos. Oh wait, was that last one too far? Shit, I always do that.

Old Post Aug-10-2012 02:56 
Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon+On+On Click here to Send Halcyon+On+On a Private Message Add Halcyon+On+On to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Chimney
Low pH

I always try to be a good person and don't expect anything in return. Sometimes you're lucky. Othertimes, not. Earlier tonight I was at a club, dancing and I accidentally knocked the drink out of a guy's hand. I offered to buy him a new one, but he refused, smiling, saying I shouldn't worry about petty things like those.

Old Post Aug-10-2012 03:06  Romania
Click Here to See the Profile for Chimney Click here to Send Chimney a Private Message Add Chimney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

don't believe in Karma as some super natural force but i think the way you act and how those actions have somewhat predictable consequences somewhat a form of karma in action. It can't account for bad luck but so much of what happens to us is in some way a reaction to your action or inaction.

Kinda along the lines of what Rann said.

quote:

If you think about it for a second, the reason this idea spread out of India with so much strength is because it's genius: It's the ultimate form of institutionalised Schadenfreude, in which you seek to explain how fair the world is by punishing your foes without doing anything. You just sit and wait, hear that something bad has happened to the person, and declare karma has acted on your behalf

Never really thought about Karma this way. I mean karma or the concept exists in every culture. Do good and you will be rewarded, do bad and you will be punished. I didn't think people actually hoped bad things will happen at least most people. I always thought it was sort of a spiritual reason to be good. A guide to keep you towing the line. That shadenfreud you mentioned would in itself be a deposit of bad karma in your karma bank just for thinking about how that person will suffer and enjoying the thought. Not really sure how it is practiced in other parts of the world so I could be wrong.

Last edited by Looney4Clooney on Aug-10-2012 at 04:09

Old Post Aug-10-2012 03:59 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
Ambient Produce Unit

The basic principle of karma is sound: if you punch everyone you ever meet in the face, you're going to get a lot of black eyes in your life, whereas if you shake their hand you're going to have a lot more friends. The whole metaphysical framework is obviously nonsense, though.

> BMC DJ Competition [Drum & Bass]
> Human Revolution [Theme Challenge Mix]
> Somnamdublism [Dub Techno]

>>Absorb. [Fortnightly Radio Show]<<

Absorb.

Old Post Aug-10-2012 04:21  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
djnitride

Chaos theory is a bitch.

Soundcloud

Old Post Aug-10-2012 05:00  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for djnitride Click here to Send djnitride a Private Message Add djnitride to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Blake
recovering tranceaddict

In order to know whether or not Karma is BS you'd pretty much have to experience the entire span of time. My guess is that there's no net gain or loss. All possible experiences are probably accounted for, one way or another.

Old Post Aug-10-2012 05:27  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Blake Click here to Send Blake a Private Message Add Blake to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Karma
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread