Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > should your ability to write well be the deciding factor in getting a job?
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
OrangestO
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Re: Re: should your ability to write well be the deciding factor in getting a job?

quote:
Originally posted by Moral Hazard
DING!

In addition; one should never start a sentence (or in this case sentence fragment with "and."

Actually, you can.

In addition, one should not use a semicolon unless indicating a longer break than a comma.

Old Post Aug-14-2012 16:39 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
srussell0018
Chaostician

Re: should your ability to write well be the deciding factor in getting a job?

quote:
Originally posted by OrangestO
When you read other people's posts on here, do you take how well they write into consideration in deciding whether to take them seriously?

I absolutely do.

Old Post Aug-14-2012 16:40  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for srussell0018 Click here to Send srussell0018 a Private Message Add srussell0018 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Halcyon+On+On
Liebchen

Re: Re: Re: should your ability to write well be the deciding factor in getting a job?

quote:
Originally posted by Moral Hazard
DING!

In addition; one should never start a sentence (or in this case sentence fragment with "and."

I can understand stylizing your writing to express how you speak - obviously there is a point where this is just a forum, so by all means employ conversational habits to convey style and informality. But(!) mis-using a contraction is a bad habit, and often demonstrates a misunderstanding of word structure. Obviously OrangestO knows the difference, but I like when people point out my mistakes.

Old Post Aug-14-2012 16:43 
Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon+On+On Click here to Send Halcyon+On+On a Private Message Add Halcyon+On+On to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
srussell0018
Chaostician

QUOTATIONS MISSING!

Old Post Aug-14-2012 16:47  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for srussell0018 Click here to Send srussell0018 a Private Message Add srussell0018 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OrangestO
Supreme tranceaddict

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Old Post Aug-14-2012 16:51 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Halcyon+On+On
Liebchen

Keep clubbing, baby seals!

Old Post Aug-14-2012 16:53 
Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon+On+On Click here to Send Halcyon+On+On a Private Message Add Halcyon+On+On to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OrangestO
Supreme tranceaddict

This is useful, for anyone interested: http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.txt

Old Post Aug-14-2012 17:13 
Silky Johnson
Reach for the sky, Honky!

My sister is the kind of petty, right fighting faggot that will interrupt a person while they're talking to correct their pronunciation and/or grammar. So there was this birthday card with two chicks on the front, one saying "Where's your birthday party at?" and the other one responding "Don't end your sentence with a preposition." Then you open up the card and the first chick says "Where's your birthday party at, bitch?"

I had considered buying this card for my sister's recent birthday, writing some spiteful message like "Omg it's you!" but then thought better of it.

I wish I had. :/

Old Post Aug-14-2012 17:19 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OrangestO
Supreme tranceaddict

Classic card.

I do that to my girlfriend, just to fuck with her.

Especially when she says shit like "more easy" instead of "easier."

Old Post Aug-14-2012 17:40 
Silky Johnson
Reach for the sky, Honky!

Yeah but it's funny when you're doing it just to fuck with someone. My sister does it purely out of the need to be right and show others that they are wrong. Which is annoying and uncool as fuck.

Old Post Aug-14-2012 17:42 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OrangestO
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Miss Pie
Yeah but it's funny when you're doing it just to fuck with someone. My sister does it purely out of the need to be right and show others that they are wrong. Which is annoying and uncool as fuck.

Yea, fuck that. Sounds like a superiority complex.

As to the original question, if I was a hiring manager, I would definitely use a grammatical or syntax error in a resume, cover letter, etc. against someone. You have the ability to proofread your writing before submitting it. It shows you pay attention to detail and care, while having the time to carefully construct a clear and concise representation of yourself. I would definitely put more stock in that than how the interview went, being that you don't have the luxury of knowing what you're going to be asked and "proofreading" what you're going to say.

Old Post Aug-14-2012 18:06 
Trancealot
Supreme tranceaddict

If getting a job comes down to writing proper grammar then so be it. Otherwise you can hangout with the homeless and remember why you wrote too instead of to.

Lasgo - something

The best vocal tunes on LI RIP(2001-2002)

Old Post Aug-14-2012 18:08  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Trancealot Click Here to Email Trancealot Click here to Send Trancealot a Private Message Add Trancealot to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > should your ability to write well be the deciding factor in getting a job?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread