Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal > What's the scene like in Montreal?
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Col
Strachan

What's the scene like in Montreal?

Hi folks, I'm moving to Montreal next month and wondered what the nightlife scene is like there?

I've heard good things, and I'm constantly reading about Stereo which seems to bring in a lot of big names. That's all well and good, and I'm sure I'll find stuff I like there, but are there any smaller more underground venues hosting decent nights?

I used to go out loads in the UK, but in recent years I've only gone 'raving' like three or four times a year. Tend to find with the new EDM scene that most of the high-profile nights with big name DJs are full of trendy dickheads who look at you strangely if you try and talk to them.

It'd be nice to know if there's a bit of a community out in Montreal that I could bring something to.

Old Post Feb-27-2014 00:20  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Col Click here to Send Col a Private Message Visit Col's homepage! Add Col to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
corjay9
Chief Executive Ocifer

Hello there.

You got Circus and Stereo, two afterhours clubs with big sound systems.. Stereo's in particular is just awesome. No alcohol though, and the clubs only open at 1am.. they both stay open until 9-10am. Stereo sometimes shuts down at noon when a big name comes and the club is packed.

You got smaller venues like Salon Daome, Habitat, Le Bleury and Laika.. .which are regular hours clubs with smaller capacity, 200-400 people. Good crowds there, you'll find some good deep house underground acts. No dress code, very laid back crowd. Not really trendy spots but great times over there. Cheap booze..

You got Velvet and Peopl in the old port.. trendier spots with some decent international bookings. Drinks are more expensive, the girls are hot.. not really big spots either but older crowd, I've had good times at these places.

You got New City Gas, which is a huge warehouse with a capacity of 3000 people and crazy laser show. Prices are rediculous, and big EDM names like Tiesto and Aviccii etc.. play. Not my thing, I've never been but if you like the big room trance edm stuff, the place looks amazing.

Then you got Piknic Electronik, every sunday during the summer there's a day party 2pm-10pm. Amazing vibe, great bookings. Mutek Festival in early June which is cutting edge electronic music and visuals. Igloofest, which is Piknic but winter time outdoors, which just finished a few weeks ago.

I'm also seeing a LOT more private loft parties with even more underground techno if you're into the vinyl-only type music. TBA locations, etc.. lots of fun.

Overall, Montreal has a great electronic music scene. There's something for everyone, you'll find what you're looking for guarenteed.

Old Post Feb-27-2014 05:07  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for corjay9 Click here to Send corjay9 a Private Message Add corjay9 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
corjay9
Chief Executive Ocifer

double post.

Old Post Feb-27-2014 05:12  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for corjay9 Click here to Send corjay9 a Private Message Add corjay9 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Spin Laden
Nick Vachon approved

I can't believe you left out Beach Club and its amazing Iceberg Festival

Good rundown of Mtl and I've found this link to be helpful for events:
http://www.montreal-nightclubs.com/montreal-dj-events/

Also, if you go out only few times a year like you mentioned, you may want to consider Bal en Blanc.

BeB may be the one big party (15,000 ppl) that's worth it as you're guranteed good music, good weather (indoors) and a good vibe from at least one of its three stages (room to move, girls, lights, ppl dacing til noon, etc).

Once I took a piss in front of everybody at Stereo. Put the garbage under the mixer, and did it right there while people were dancing and screaming. people thought I was playing with the mixer but I was playing with my zizi.

quote:
Originally posted by Enjoy
a classic from the aria days:
me: are you on TA?
girl: uhhhh... im on speed

Old Post Feb-27-2014 15:27  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Spin Laden Click here to Send Spin Laden a Private Message Add Spin Laden to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Col
Strachan

Sounds encouraging guys, thanks!

I'm looking to go out a lot more often than a few times a year btw - it's just here I have no real desire to do that, because I've lost faith in the scene a bit.

Old Post Feb-28-2014 10:28  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Col Click here to Send Col a Private Message Visit Col's homepage! Add Col to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Atho
Senior tranceaddict

Visited Montreal a few weeks ago and the scene is miles ahead of Toronto. We were at a Joverse which is a typical bar/club in the Old Port, however downstairs was a proper house rooms with great tunes and a great vibe. It amazes me how wide spread house music is in the city and how even the kids in university know the scene so well.

For me personally it's enough of a reason to consider making the switch to MTL.

Old Post Mar-13-2014 14:10  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Atho Click here to Send Atho a Private Message Add Atho to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Brian Blanc
Supreme tranceaddict

Apollon!

xoxo

Old Post Mar-18-2014 20:35  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Brian Blanc Click here to Send Brian Blanc a Private Message Add Brian Blanc to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Spin Laden
Nick Vachon approved

Stacey Pullen and Dan Ghenacia at Circus, Sven at Stereo, Umek at Beach Club and Piknic lineup comes out May 15, things are alive and well in Montreal

Once I took a piss in front of everybody at Stereo. Put the garbage under the mixer, and did it right there while people were dancing and screaming. people thought I was playing with the mixer but I was playing with my zizi.

quote:
Originally posted by Enjoy
a classic from the aria days:
me: are you on TA?
girl: uhhhh... im on speed

Old Post Apr-30-2014 01:21  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Spin Laden Click here to Send Spin Laden a Private Message Add Spin Laden to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
oldskool94
Supreme tranceaddict

Piknic line-up out in fact on May 1st - trust me, I'm awaiting on that to make my summer plans and request summer vacation days off :P

Last year planned around Gerber at Piknic and was best event for me of the summer!

Hoping for Voorn, Wink, Burridge & Dekay, Luciano, Loco Dice, Ricardo V, Maceo Plex....

Old Post Apr-30-2014 02:09  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for oldskool94 Click here to Send oldskool94 a Private Message Add oldskool94 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Adam420
Trance Free Since 2003

Oh God please not Joris Voorn...

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Levels is...decent...damn better than a lot of the shite dominating the charts at the moment. It sounds absolutely nothing like...a billion and one similar tracks in this big-room style. I always had a soft spot.

Old Post Apr-30-2014 03:06  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Adam420 Click here to Send Adam420 a Private Message Add Adam420 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

He was great when he played Piknic. I haven't kept up with what he's doing lately though.

Old Post Apr-30-2014 18:39  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for WittyHandle Click here to Send WittyHandle a Private Message Add WittyHandle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
technoaddict
Senior tranceaddict

yea voorn does have one of the greatest piknic sets ever recorded, wouldn't mind seeing another ownage set from him!

Old Post May-01-2014 03:04 
Click Here to See the Profile for technoaddict Click here to Send technoaddict a Private Message Add technoaddict to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal > What's the scene like in Montreal?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (8): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackKool but un-IDed track :( [2005] [4]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDominic Plaza - Sounds Rushing (David West Remix) [2016]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread