Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Close Chords vs. Open Chords
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Trancelover03591
Trained tranceaddict

Close Chords vs. Open Chords

I know that sometimes producers take the middle note of a chord and place it up an octave. I never really did this until recently, and was looking for the term for it. Some quick looking and I think the term for this is an open chord while a chord with all three notes within the same octave is a close chord.

I like doing this sometimes now to prevent crowding in the mix especially since most of the music I write is based on chord progressions. Though, I imagine there are times when a close chord is favorable.

I made a quick example in G minor. First a close chord followed by an open chord and then it repeats close/open with a different rhythm.

My Soundcloud

Old Post Mar-31-2014 00:05  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Trancelover03591 Click here to Send Trancelover03591 a Private Message Add Trancelover03591 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
farris
Supreme tranceaddict

Inversion.

Old Post Mar-31-2014 01:24  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for farris Click here to Send farris a Private Message Add farris to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Boom shanka

quote:
Originally posted by farris
Inversion.

Open/closed chords aren't exactly the same thing as inversions. An inversion can also be open, if the notes are spread across more than an octave. Basically, you can think of inversions as the sequence, or order, of the chord notes from bottom to top, while open/closed refers to spread of the notes.

Sonar Platinum | Ableton Live 9 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Lead 4R | NI Maschine

Old Post Mar-31-2014 04:48  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
farris
Supreme tranceaddict

Today I learned...
Thanks cryo!

Old Post Mar-31-2014 11:42  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for farris Click here to Send farris a Private Message Add farris to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
farris
Supreme tranceaddict

This is my basic understanding of inversions (for triads):
First inversion = move the root note up (an octave)
Second inversion = move second note up (an octave)
Third inversion = will move you to the same position for the chord, but an octave higher

Hence my confusion earlier with open/closed chords.
There are of course people on this forum who can explain it way better...

Old Post Apr-01-2014 19:46  Netherlands
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

Inversion is just a rotation of the root.

Closed form uses the most parsimonious setting so for c major , if the first inversion doesn't have the root as the soprano line, it would be open.

Third inversion is used for 4 note chords ie dominant v , diminished 7, half diminished 7 ....
To correct cryogenic or elaborate on his purposefully simplistic explanation which is adequate but wrong . Inversion only accounts for the bass tone. It does not dictate the order. In fact closed and open chords usually both dictate the order and the spread as they are usually intertwined.

Honestly these are pointless terms for dance music.

If anything, the concept was tought for pianists who accompany other musicians. Or a way to describe pieces in doctoral thesis'. It has very little practical value at least I'm anything that inst common era classical.

I thought Farris response enough to explain what is going on. The change in timbre is not a matter of open or closed but just the use of consecutive chords with inversions to give movement.

Last edited by Looney4Clooney on Apr-01-2014 at 20:37

Old Post Apr-01-2014 20:31 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Close Chords vs. Open Chords
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackeasy track from Johan Gielen live at Matrixx(This is a good song) [2002] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackMarco V - "Solarize" [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread