Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > Deadmau5 Disses A State Of Trance, Armin Van Buuren Fires Back
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
DjWoody
Chingon

Worm Popper Deadmau5 Disses A State Of Trance, Armin Van Buuren Fires Back

HA! Click on the link to read the tweets. Armin invites Deadmau5 to ASOT700 to show what "trance" is.

------------------------
http://www.djmag.ca/blog/2014/07/11...n-buuren-fires/
------------------------

Guess who’s at it again?

In the latest in a seemingly endless series of unrelenting tweets targeting anyone and everyone in the EDM scene, Deadmau5 took aim at the modern trance sound and in particular Armin Van Buuren’s famed A State of Trance series, calling it “as much ‘trance’ as Nelson Mandela is indie punk”.

The Mau5‘s intent was pretty clear, and was clarified further by way of a number of subsequent tweets in which he called to mind the genre’s early days as favourable to the likes of Van Burren and Tiesto.

“Settle down kids, I’m not picking fights. Love what u want. The version of ‘trance’ in my head is more antiquated than adagio for strings k?” He continued in response to a largely indignant Twitter audience coming to Van Buuren’s defense.

Van Burren recently shot back with a tweet of his own challenging Deadmau5 to step up and tell everyone what’s what.

The whole debacle has us at DJ Mag Canada taking bids on who the Mau5 sets his sights on next.

You can read the exchange in greater detail below:

Old Post Jul-11-2014 21:04  Mexico
Click Here to See the Profile for DjWoody Click here to Send DjWoody a Private Message Visit DjWoody's homepage! Add DjWoody to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
modthispny
Supreme tranceaddict

I was actually going to just post about this.

To Deadmau5' defense, what Armin is playing isn't trance. I know Armin is trying to hold onto the trance genre as hard as he can, even saying 'trance' is up to interpretation and how the sound has evolved, yadda yadda.

No, trance is still trance.

Armin has evolved from a trance DJ to a DJ that places other genres. It's not the trance genre that's evolved, but the DJ that has actually evolved.

Old Post Jul-11-2014 21:32  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for modthispny Click here to Send modthispny a Private Message Add modthispny to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GPC
#trance

GPC

I think people are taking this way to seriously. Looks like he (Deadmau5) is just playing around. I actually like Deadmau5's dickish attitude these days and I agree with him. A lot of current trance is anything but trance. By and large, if it has a drop, it's not trance. And all those shitty builds. Ugh. ASOT is A State Of Trouse. Not saying Armin or any of the other festival "trance" headliners don't know how to play good trance, they just aren't. Yes, they will bust out a GIA set once in a while to shut up the complainers but what about the rest of the time. You want to see what real trance is, check out the Luminosity lineup. That is trance with maybe the exception of Andy Moor. This is all strictly in my old world fart's opinion.

Old Post Jul-11-2014 21:38  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for GPC Click here to Send GPC a Private Message Add GPC to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DaveT
NEED PERSONAL COPY-EDITOR

I think it's all funny, but in the end if he's going to talk-the-talk...then he should walk-the-walk. If he knows what Trance is...and wants to call other people out, whether jokingly or not, he should be ready to prove he knows what he's talking about.

Old Post Jul-11-2014 22:10  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveT Click here to Send DaveT a Private Message Visit DaveT's homepage! Add DaveT to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GPC
#trance

quote:
Originally posted by DaveT
I think it's all funny, but in the end if he's going to talk-the-talk...then he should walk-the-walk. If he knows what Trance is...and wants to call other people out, whether jokingly or not, he should be ready to prove he knows what he's talking about.

So by the same terms, I should be able to produce or DJ a trance set because I say what Armin is playing isn't trance?

Old Post Jul-11-2014 22:14  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for GPC Click here to Send GPC a Private Message Add GPC to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
modthispny
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by GPC
So by the same terms, I should be able to produce or DJ a trance set because I say what Armin is playing isn't trance?

the funny thing is, i've seen armin reply to people that tweet that to him, and he says, and you decide what trance is because?

that's armins issue, he thinks 'trance' music can be interpreted into other genres.

Old Post Jul-11-2014 22:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for modthispny Click here to Send modthispny a Private Message Add modthispny to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GPC
#trance

quote:
Originally posted by modthispny
the funny thing is, i've seen armin reply to people that tweet that to him, and he says, and you decide what trance is because?

that's armins issue, he thinks 'trance' music can be interpreted into other genres.

Ha ha yeah, I've seen that too. And by other DJ's as well. Gareth Emery comes to mind. So I guess we should just be saying they are playing shit because how could they argue with that? Both ways of saying it are obviously our opinion but he seems to be ignorant to that fact.

But the crowds at festivals love it so who are we to say anything Guess what, the crowds love Paris Hilton too. Doesn't mean shit. They are there to party and party they will!

Old Post Jul-11-2014 22:50  United States
jonmitz
mixcloud.com/mitztronic

two non-relevant DJs walk into a bar...

(they're both just looking for publicity, IMO, which threads like this and the article linked in OP is giving them)

Old Post Jul-11-2014 23:00  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for jonmitz Click here to Send jonmitz a Private Message Add jonmitz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
modthispny
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by jonmitz
two non-relevant DJs walk into a bar...

(they're both just looking for publicity, IMO, which threads like this and the article linked in OP is giving them)

i think as far as mainstream popularity, AVB and Deadmau5 are still quite relevant.

Old Post Jul-11-2014 23:10  United States
modthispny
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by GPC
Ha ha yeah, I've seen that too. And by other DJ's as well. Gareth Emery comes to mind. So I guess we should just be saying they are playing shit because how could they argue with that? Both ways of saying it are obviously our opinion but he seems to be ignorant to that fact.

But the crowds at festivals love it so who are we to say anything Guess what, the crowds love Paris Hilton too. Doesn't mean shit. They are there to party and party they will!

yep, Paris hilton can DJ and the crowd will go crazy for her.

the issue is also, DJs use the crowds reaction as positive-reinforcement, so they think, 100k people are going crazy at what i'm playing, so i must be doing something right, and they continue to play this crap, even though it's absolute garbage.

I'll ALWAYS respect Markus Schulz, but more and more he's sounding a lot like W&W with the buildups and 'rave anthems', like the following.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9I_2sDIAAc

recently i've been listening to AVB's ASOT 650 warm-up sets, i know, ironic, and old 2004-2006 AVB and Markus Sets...i've just recently discovered these so have some time to enjoy them.

Old Post Jul-11-2014 23:20  United States
jonmitz
mixcloud.com/mitztronic

quote:
Originally posted by modthispny
i think as far as mainstream popularity, AVB and Deadmau5 are still quite relevant.

as far as I'm concerned, they are completely irrelevant to the state of electronic music. i could care less if they are relevant to the scene, the population in general is stupid when it comes to music (guess I should be careful what i say here...) and will take whatever you spoon feed them.

neither of them is contributing anything unique, or even interesting, anymore. (psst... deadmau5 never was lol)

e: and i regret posting this. oh well! #internet

Old Post Jul-11-2014 23:27  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for jonmitz Click here to Send jonmitz a Private Message Add jonmitz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
modthispny
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by jonmitz
as far as I'm concerned, they are completely irrelevant to the state of electronic music. i could care less if they are relevant to the scene, the population in general is stupid when it comes to music (guess I should be careful what i say here...) and will take whatever you spoon feed them.

neither of them is contributing anything unique, or even interesting, anymore. (psst... deadmau5 never was lol)

e: and i regret posting this. oh well! #internet

ohhh, 100%.

when i mean relevant, i mean to the scene.

Old Post Jul-11-2014 23:32  United States

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > Deadmau5 Disses A State Of Trance, Armin Van Buuren Fires Back
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbacktune 2 ID(IV) [2002] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSupermarco May - W.A.P (Psycho Vrs) [Sigma Records] [Sigma 037] [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread