Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Song lyrics
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Jon_Snow

Do you like to analyze song lyrics? In doing so do you kill some of the beauty and mystery by pining down it's meaning? Any lyrics you are particular fond of? This morning driving in I was reminded how much I like the song "Young Blood".

Old Post Jul-16-2014 14:20 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Halcyon+On+On
Liebchen

It's like IGK completely jumped the shark, and is now counter-meta-trollan.

IS THIS YOUR REVENGE ON US, PETE???

Old Post Jul-16-2014 14:24 
Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon+On+On Click here to Send Halcyon+On+On a Private Message Add Halcyon+On+On to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow

Can you whisper?

Old Post Jul-16-2014 14:29 
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

I have always been terrible at hearing the words in music so I just ignore the lyrics pretty much. I suppose the advantage to this handicap is that I don't care if a song is in a language I don't know because I'm not searching for the meaning.

Old Post Jul-16-2014 14:30  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Halcyon+On+On
Liebchen

I do like that song, too. It's nice to see you finally talking about music after, what, like 11 years of creeping people on a music forum?

Old Post Jul-16-2014 14:33 
Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon+On+On Click here to Send Halcyon+On+On a Private Message Add Halcyon+On+On to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Halcyon+On+On
Liebchen

quote:
Originally posted by Vector A
I have always been terrible at hearing the words in music so I just ignore the lyrics pretty much. I suppose the advantage to this handicap is that I don't care if a song is in a language I don't know because I'm not searching for the meaning.

I am absolutely garbage at hearing lyrics. I can't make out a damned phrase right (mondegreens galore!); I suppose this is why I gravitate toward a lot of stream-of-consciousness and spoken word stuff, not to mention electronic music in the first place.

Old Post Jul-16-2014 14:35 
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

lol:
quote:
The 1963 song "Louie Louie" by The Kingsmen, actually a sea shanty, was so difficult to understand, because of how poorly the Kingsmen's version of it was recorded, that many people suspected the song contained obscene lyrics. The FBI was asked to investigate whether or not those involved with the song violated laws against the interstate transportation of obscene material. The most notable misinterpretation of the lyrics presented by the parent who sent the complaint can be found in the verse "Me see Jamaica moon above; / It won't be long me see me love. / Me take her in my arms and then / I tell her I never leave again." which was misheard as "She had a rag on, she moved above. / It won't be long, she'll slip it off. / I held her in my arms and then, / and I told her I'd rather lay her again." No lyrics were ever officially published for the song, and after two years of investigation, the FBI concluded that the lyrics were unintelligible.

Old Post Jul-16-2014 14:41  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Halcyon+On+On
Liebchen

Old Post Jul-16-2014 14:45 
Jon_Snow

quote:
Originally posted by Vector A

I used to be the same way but with the advent of the internet I'll occasionally look things up. Sometimes I'm disappointed to discover the lyrics are shallow and other times I'm rewarded to find another level to enjoy the song.

Last edited by on Jul-16-2014 at 15:00

Old Post Jul-16-2014 14:46 
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

I recently analyzed Nelly Furtado's "Say It Right," and was completely put off. It was far better when I imagined what the lyrics might have been.

Old Post Jul-16-2014 14:52  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for AlphaStarred Click here to Send AlphaStarred a Private Message Add AlphaStarred to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Bierheld
Supreme tranceaddict

I do like lyrical music in concept. But it's by nature very reliant on context and I've had a hard time finding anything made after the '70's that I can identify with in that sense. At least so far as popular music and youth culture is concerned, for which that era was the last time it felt like it had any meaning.

In the end, music is about escapism for me. A grand operatic tale with established characters, powerful delivery and an imaginative setting still holds a lot of power in that regard. But the modern day music industry is cynical and geared toward playing to the most mundane aspects of humanity. Relationship problems and socio-political issues are already the main aspects of the majority of common conversation and as such a rather poor means of escape.

Also: why isn't this in MD?

Listens:
http://www.last.fm/user/bierheld

Old Post Jul-16-2014 15:12  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Bierheld Click here to Send Bierheld a Private Message Add Bierheld to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow

quote:
Originally posted by Halcyon+On+On
I do like that song, too. It's nice to see you finally talking about music after, what, like 11 years of creeping people on a music forum?

1. This is the COR not the music discussion section.

2. I've never really been inclined to discuss music especially edm.

3. Reading Nou posting unsolicited details of his depressing life made me snap.

4. I can't think of any other good reasons for my 11 years of bad behavior.

Old Post Jul-16-2014 15:22 

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Song lyrics
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHELP me ID: great trance tune played by Ferry Corsten in 1998 [2004] [5]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAnigye feat. Audio Architects - NL Boost (Remix) [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread