Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > free alternative to waves rbass
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
meriter
-

found a very suitable replacement in the most unlikely place... just got logic 8 up and running on this ancient ppc mac

http://mda.smartelectronix.com/effects.htm

the Sub-Bass synthesizer plugin on the "key osc." setting

40hz on any kick with the level way up sounds massive, very pleasantly surprised with this

Old Post Jul-22-2014 18:53 
Click Here to See the Profile for meriter Click here to Send meriter a Private Message Add meriter to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

I know you probably know this but Rbass is a really bad idea in 99% of situations; It adds harmonics across the rest of the spectrum as a psycho-acoustic trick to make you think it's enhanced the bass.

The end result of one sound solo'd is indeed most phat, but it will in the long run totally fuck with your frequencies on a full mix.

Rbass can be used when you have an instrument that's lacking bass content (i.e. only weak mid basses etc), but putting on to an existing bass sound is a really bad idea. You should just make sure the bass sound is right in the first place rather than adding the band-aid.

Old Post Jul-22-2014 20:26 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
meriter
-

really only use it for kick samples that are lacking, mostly just use it to add a long tail in certain instances...

i have heard of people even using it on a send to enhance the low end but if its just the kick I dont see how that would cause any problems

Old Post Jul-22-2014 20:33 
Click Here to See the Profile for meriter Click here to Send meriter a Private Message Add meriter to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PaULiN0
Twinkle, Twinkle..

Yeah Rann's right, I tried using logic's internal Sub Bass Enhancer on a bass synth and man it was terrible.

Old Post Jul-23-2014 00:11  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for PaULiN0 Click here to Send PaULiN0 a Private Message Add PaULiN0 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
derail
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by meriter
i have heard of people even using it on a send to enhance the low end but if its just the kick I dont see how that that would cause any problems

Which people? What was wrong with the low end that needed enhancing? If you don't provide specific examples, some people new to production might just start adding bass enhancers to sounds "just because someone on some forum mentioned it". In terms of the kick you're adding the bass enhancement to, what specifically are you trying to achieve? I find that most of the kicks in commercial libraries work fine with minimal adjustment.

As Rann already said, in the vast majority of cases, bass enhancers are going to ruin your mix. Choose the right kick and bass sounds in the first place, rather than choosing sounds which are so deficient that you need to reach for a major band-aid such as bass enhancement. Particularly for producers in their first couple of years mixing, bass enhancers are a tantalising option (I definitely went through a phase of using them). People think "wow, that's so much oomphier and bassier" without noticing how much they've just compromised their mix.

Of course, there are probably creative ways that producers can use these tools, and that's fine. In general though, I'd recommend that people don't touch bass enhancers for the first few years, until they've learnt how to create great sounding mixes. Bass enhancers are probably going to get in the way of that process.

Old Post Jul-23-2014 04:12  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for derail Click here to Send derail a Private Message Add derail to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Richard Butler
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN

I know you probably know this but Rbass is a really bad idea in 99% of situations;

What a timely call, I was in the process of getting this on my new set - up. I bought it ages ago but never installed it because in the back of my mind I had thought it is probably superfluous, that its just better to make the right bass anyway.

Last edited by Richard Butler on Jul-28-2014 at 10:06

Old Post Jul-25-2014 13:55  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Butler Click here to Send Richard Butler a Private Message Add Richard Butler to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > free alternative to waves rbass
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDaft Punk style tune ID needed! [2006] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackWay Out West - "Activity" [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread