Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > Bestival Will Enter North American Music Festival Market in Toronto
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
CMR
Supreme tranceaddict

Bestival Will Enter North American Music Festival Market in Toronto

Bestival Will Enter North American Music Festival Market in Toronto

By Ben Sisario
February 15, 2015 9:01 pm

The North American pop festival market is about to get more crowded this year with the arrival in Toronto of Bestival, a British import with a tradition of electronic dance music, alternative rock and dressed-up crowds.

The new Bestival will come to the Toronto Islands — a park area in Lake Ontario, just offshore from the city’s downtown — on June 12 and 13, its founder, the D.J. Rob da Bank, said in an interview. The lineup for Toronto is not ready, but a glimpse at Bestival’s latest British edition, on the Isle of Wight in September, gives a sense of the festival’s Coachella-like aesthetic, mixing superstar dance acts (Chemical Brothers, Underworld) with some rock and pop nostalgia (Duran Duran) and rap (Action Bronson).

In partnership with the international festival giant SFX Entertainment and the Canadian company Embrace, Bestival will build a temporary space for the Toronto event that will hold up to 20,000 people a day, said Rob da Bank, a BBC radio D.J. whose real name is Robert Gorham.

The North American festival market, once barely existent compared with that of Europe, has grown extremely competitive in recent years, after the success of events like Coachella and the dance festival Electric Daisy Carnival. New York now finally has its own annual festival, Governors Ball, and this year new ones have popped up like the Eaux Claires Music & Arts Festival in Eau Claire, Wis.

Part of Bestival’s advantage is its interest in communal spectacle. In 2010, the festival had 55,000 attendees don their own “fancy dress,” and a similar kind of stunt could be in the cards of Toronto.

“No disrespect to the festivals in North America, but a lot of them are very much stages, bars, food tents,” Rob da Bank said. “This festival will look very different. It will have theatricality, ambition.”

An earlier version of this post misstated Rob da Bank’s position. He is currently a D.J. for BBC radio. He is not a former BBC D.J.

A version of this article appears in print on 02/16/2015, on page C3 of the NewYork edition with the headline: British Pop Festival Coming to Toronto in June.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2...n-toronto/?_r=1

Old Post Feb-16-2015 19:19  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for CMR Click here to Send CMR a Private Message Add CMR to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mach X
DEMF Ambassador

Buying tickets as soon as possible for even a chance to see Chemical Brothers!

Old Post Feb-16-2015 20:47  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Mach X Click here to Send Mach X a Private Message Visit Mach X's homepage! Add Mach X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kotsy

I will faint of they book chemical brothers

Download my latest podcast or go to hell

Old Post Feb-16-2015 21:46  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for kotsy Click here to Send kotsy a Private Message Add kotsy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mach X
DEMF Ambassador

quote:
Originally posted by kotsy
I will faint of they book chemical brothers

They said it will be similar to the UK event for lineup.

*fingers-crossed*

Old Post Feb-17-2015 02:54  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Mach X Click here to Send Mach X a Private Message Visit Mach X's homepage! Add Mach X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kotsy

I think my ultimate dream lineup would be Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Underworld, The Prodigy and The Crystal Method

Old Post Feb-17-2015 03:15  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for kotsy Click here to Send kotsy a Private Message Add kotsy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ItalianPoiSon
Mr. Rager

would like to see hot natured, the chems, and maceo plex announced...

Old Post Feb-17-2015 16:44  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for ItalianPoiSon Click here to Send ItalianPoiSon a Private Message Visit ItalianPoiSon's homepage! Add ItalianPoiSon to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
loopdokter
Senior tranceaddict

I wouldn't be surprised to see Underworld as a headliner considering they're touring off the back of the Dubnobasswithmyheadman 20th Anniversary and have yet to list North American dates.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Leftfield either, considering they're working on new material.

Outside of that, I don't expect to see as strong of a lineup as the UK edition because bands/Djs often book tours off the back of geographical location.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jaykaufman
RA: http://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/jaykaufman
Beatport DJ: http://dj.beatport.com/jaykaufman
Blog: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/jaykaufman

Old Post Feb-17-2015 17:15  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for loopdokter Click here to Send loopdokter a Private Message Visit loopdokter's homepage! Add loopdokter to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PurpleHaze
Supreme tranceaddict

Bring me some Basement Jaxx and Outkast!

Old Post Feb-17-2015 17:41  Romania
Click Here to See the Profile for PurpleHaze Click here to Send PurpleHaze a Private Message Add PurpleHaze to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dior Homme
Hedi Slimane

I saw Underworld when they were at KH several years ago and they were amazing!

Old Post Feb-18-2015 03:30  France
Click Here to See the Profile for Dior Homme Click here to Send Dior Homme a Private Message Visit Dior Homme's homepage! Add Dior Homme to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kotsy

Me too. Amazing is an understatement!

Old Post Feb-18-2015 05:40  Canada
smuncky
Architect

quote:
Originally posted by Dior Homme
I saw Underworld when they were at KH several years ago and they were amazing!

that was a great show.

"The best car-related innovation we have is not to improve the car, but eliminate the need to drive it everywhere we go.” -Alex Steffen

Old Post Feb-18-2015 12:43  Russia
Click Here to See the Profile for smuncky Click here to Send smuncky a Private Message Visit smuncky's homepage! Add smuncky to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ItalianPoiSon
Mr. Rager

it looks like DJ Tennis is playing Bestival

Pan-Pot is playing Victoria Day EI and AP
Lee Foss is playing Canada's Day EI

Old Post Feb-18-2015 14:17  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for ItalianPoiSon Click here to Send ItalianPoiSon a Private Message Visit ItalianPoiSon's homepage! Add ItalianPoiSon to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > Bestival Will Enter North American Music Festival Market in Toronto
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackwhat is this deadmau5 song from the "on the move" set? [2009] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackN.O.I.P. - Be Good [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread