Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Copyright / sues
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
MSZ
godspeed

Copyright / sues

Ok obviously this doesnt apply to us, just the rich folk after the other rich folk with their jewish lawyers but I cant get over this nonsense of a judge and jury deciding whether or not a track is plagiarising based on strong influence or a using a common natural chord progression. The most recent one, the Lana del ray track copying the chord progression from creep(a track that was sued for copying another track...the irony). The phharel one with the strong influence(I get it, rhythm aesthetic x length of time etc.) but come on plagirism? I feel its just going to be a tool going forward to gain exposure/drama and making sure these artsists lawyers have something to do while they're employed as musical possibilities get more saturated. Just some more bs thats grinding my gears, maybe I have it wrong though; interested to hear any thoughts.

Old Post Jan-10-2018 07:27  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for MSZ Click here to Send MSZ a Private Message Add MSZ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr.Mystery
Static Guru

Del Rey made the mistake of offering partial compensation to Radiohead, which is basically admitting guilt. But yeah, the copyright trolls in the music business (and others) are a fucking cancer.

The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony has to be the most infamous example of this. They used a string sample with permission and then got sued anyway, and lost all the rights to the song.

Old Post Jan-10-2018 08:57  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.Mystery Click here to Send Mr.Mystery a Private Message Add Mr.Mystery to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

Cases like this should be resolved with a blind poll.

Ask 100 people 'does this song sound like another song?'

If 50 or more of them say yes, then fair cop.

If not, case closed. If case closed, the claimant pays the defendant 50% of the perceived loss.

Music theorists will just wank over the technicalities.

Old Post Jan-10-2018 09:07  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

I couldn't agree more; the Blurred lines case literally made me go what the fuck.

Firstly, the tracks don't contain the same chords or note progressions. It was based on "atmosphere" and "aesthetic". How in the name of fuck can you be accused of plagiarism because there's crowd/party noise in the background and you use similarish sounds like cowbells and shakers? The only thing that was a bit close was the bassline, but you can't copyright a bassline (see Tall Paul's Camisra - Let me Show you and Deep Dish - Make the world go round, for more info).

I honestly think that case was one of the most dangerous precedences in music law history.

Having said that, it really wasn't helped by the fact that Pharell's answers were apparently a bit evasive in court, and when they got around to Thicke's testimony, he basically said I was super high at that period, missed all the production stuff and I have no idea because I just sang on it.

Old Post Jan-10-2018 18:00 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Copyright / sues
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbacksander k @ icon track [2002] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackInfexious - "Let Me Fly" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread