Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Armin Van Buuren Answers Many Questions About Tiesto, Trance, etc
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Dj Pluviose
Supreme tranceaddict

Armin Van Buuren Answers Many Questions About Tiesto, Trance, etc

Old Post Jan-12-2018 03:39  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Dj Pluviose Click here to Send Dj Pluviose a Private Message Add Dj Pluviose to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dj Pluviose
Supreme tranceaddict

I dont think people being positive and optimistic about things is weird, but considering the subject of EDM and knowing how far back this man goes, he seems to be hiding a little bit of his truest inner feelings. He seems a bit dodgy about more touchy subjects regarding EDM. but whatever. what do you guys think?

Old Post Jan-12-2018 03:41  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Dj Pluviose Click here to Send Dj Pluviose a Private Message Add Dj Pluviose to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Titanium
Supreme tranceaddict

He uses that beatles reply a lot. I don't think people are referring to sounding the same but they are saying the feeling has gone and sounding more noisy and terrible.

What a load of crap, maybe deep techno stuff sounds more like trance but the shit he plays nope it doesn't anything like it.

What's up with that fake british accent?

Old Post Jan-12-2018 11:48 
Click Here to See the Profile for Titanium Click here to Send Titanium a Private Message Add Titanium to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Kilixpree
Supreme tranceaddict

I will not lie, after knowing that he likes the orb that much almost gives me hope for him doing something decent in the future lmao

Old Post Jan-12-2018 12:14  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Kilixpree Click here to Send Kilixpree a Private Message Add Kilixpree to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr.Mystery
Static Guru

quote:
Originally posted by Kilixpree
I will not lie, after knowing that he likes the orb that much almost gives me hope for him doing something decent in the future lmao

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old Post Jan-12-2018 12:21  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.Mystery Click here to Send Mr.Mystery a Private Message Add Mr.Mystery to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Paradox Lost
In This Twilight

quote:

He's expressed his fondness for ambient during interviews way back in the past, even implicitly as a preference to trance. I think this interview was taken some time around 2006 or 2007:

quote:

5. Your live sets and ASOT radio show has grown so diverse, all the genres of EDM can be found from minimal to house, why has this evolution occurred ?

Armin van Buuren: I DJ for the crowd, not for myself, if it was for me the music would be real ambient, weird sounding. These track lists are for the crowd. I want to make sure the people are dancing and into the music, sometimes you have to play a track that's different...

Nearing the end of his career, and with the decline of trance, I get the feeling that it's more for the crowd now than it ever was before.

Old Post Jan-12-2018 12:34  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for Paradox Lost Click here to Send Paradox Lost a Private Message Add Paradox Lost to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
lacksesepsotygh
;B

5. Your live sets and ASOT radio show has grown so diverse, all the genres of EDM can be found from minimal to house, why has this evolution occurred ?

ASOT really is the "go to"-place for finding new and innovative releases from the whole spectrum of electronic music. Where's that cringe smiley when it's needed?

Old Post Jan-12-2018 18:56  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for lacksesepsotygh Click here to Send lacksesepsotygh a Private Message Visit lacksesepsotygh's homepage! Add lacksesepsotygh to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

quote:

Many many years ago he already said what he most liked is ambient.
What he often says about old trance is being slow is such a bullshit as it's only half the story. Hard trance was huge in early 90's, but I think it just wasn't in his field of view at the time. Even Sven Vath played it in 1993:
Edit: an old video with Jam El Mar saying that bpm increased within 5 years from 114 to 140 and up in 1994: https://youtu.be/QfhVbHj4mPs?t=57

I never actually heard him talk about his early tracks which clearly are influenced from the Club music (which I also liked a lot, just not as much as trance).

Longest (classic) Trance playlist on YouTube (5000 tracks released up to and including 1997), click here

Last edited by Trance-M on Jan-14-2018 at 20:22

Old Post Jan-12-2018 22:10  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Titanium
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:

It's a smoke screen dude it just to shut people up. He is clearly doing it for the money now. The fact that he mentioned that music back then was better gives you an indication.

Old Post Jan-13-2018 01:51 
Click Here to See the Profile for Titanium Click here to Send Titanium a Private Message Add Titanium to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Come on guys, I don't know you;re taking any of this seriously.

For those of us that knew Armin's records back in the 90's (like Communication, Lost Soul Society etc) he used to make music that was half decent.

By the mid-late 00's he'd completely sold out, playing the same lowest-common-denominator "trance" (if you could still call it that) and what he's playing in past 2012 was juts absolute dross - there's no conceivable way that someone that claims to like the orb and ambient, and put out records like he did, would actually be passionate about the dreadful line array EDM sound he's been putting out.

It's about money. He's a lawyer by education (probably why some of his answers are evasive) and he made a conscious decision to play EDM and devolve ASOT to widen the cash flow. It's earned him millions. I get it though; there's plenty of guys who kept their integrity and had to go get a proper job or another source of income when the scene turned to crap.

Old Post Jan-13-2018 18:45 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

When you look at making of video's of his shows you can see that's something he really loves to do (and is good at). Not only doing the shows but also everything to get there. Only with huge crowds he will be able to achieve that. Possibly or likely commercial crap music is a part of that.
I get the feeling the only way to make some money in Trance is to be in ASOT, so I'm not happy with that. It's not good for the scene, but now even JOOF and Airwave are in that direction so the feeling gets stronger although JOOF is convinced some things are going to change for the better (at least for progressive, which could be true). Negative thing is that Armin probably will get the credits.

I totally agree, there's always something in the back of my head telling that something is not right when listening to Armin. Why can he be so happy about something which obviously is far from Trance and the music he claims to love? And at the same time he remains holding on to that Trance tag. Money is the most obvious explanation.

Longest (classic) Trance playlist on YouTube (5000 tracks released up to and including 1997), click here

Old Post Jan-13-2018 20:32  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Titanium
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Trance-M
When you look at making of video's of his shows you can see that's something he really loves to do (and is good at). Not only doing the shows but also everything to get there. Only with huge crowds he will be able to achieve that. Possibly or likely commercial crap music is a part of that.
I get the feeling the only way to make some money in Trance is to be in ASOT, so I'm not happy with that. It's not good for the scene, but now even JOOF and Airwave are in that direction so the feeling gets stronger although JOOF is convinced some things are going to change for the better (at least for progressive, which could be true). Negative thing is that Armin probably will get the credits.

I totally agree, there's always something in the back of my head telling that something is not right when listening to Armin. Why can he be so happy about something which obviously is far from Trance and the music he claims to love? And at the same time he remains holding on to that Trance tag. Money is the most obvious explanation.

Speaking of JOOF It looks like he is trying to get a piece of the pie of the commercial crowd. The beating tactics did not work for him so he is now joining the guy who basically stopped supporting their music for a number of years. Armin stopped supporting tracks by Airwave for a number of years and now all of a sudden they ask Armin for a stage and he accepts.

Old Post Jan-14-2018 01:24 

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Armin Van Buuren Answers Many Questions About Tiesto, Trance, etc
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackUnknown song from a NYE set [2004] [3]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackKyau vs Albert - Velvet Morning (Megara vs DJ Lee Mix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread