Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Splice | Any subscribers? Reviews? Thoughts? Is there a better alternative?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

Splice | Any subscribers? Reviews? Thoughts? Is there a better alternative?

I've been thinking of getting a Splice account for the sample packs and the rent-a-plugin thingy, and I wonder if it really is a good idea.

What say you?

Old Post Feb-04-2018 04:26  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vernon Wanderer
Eye Q'ed

Absolute best thing that has ever happened since MIDI was invented. Complete game changer. Never looked back. Selection of sounds is grand, even for vocals. 11/10.

The only negative side to it is just a side effect. Your splice folder will have hundreds of folders as you build up, so unless you take action to reorganize your samples in an efficient manner, it will soon be an unnavigable jungle of folders. I'd recommend organizing as soon as you're done with a downloading session.

The Rent to own thing works well as well, gives you a 3 day offline window with Serum, so you only have to make Splice authenticate Serum once per 3 days, and you can produce offline if that's how you work.

Unlike the Sylenth's rent to own system(at this point it is not yet on Splice), where you have to be online 100% of the time.

I'm looking forward to the day when more shiny plugs will be available via Splice.

Vernon Wanderer will rediscover his roots back unto wandering vast endless plains miserably....

Old Post Feb-04-2018 13:09 
Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon Wanderer Click here to Send Vernon Wanderer a Private Message Add Vernon Wanderer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

Well, I'm sold! Creating an account as I type

Thanks, couldn't find a previous topic about it here though, for some reason

Old Post Feb-05-2018 21:42  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Wait, why have I not heard about this dark magic?

Can someone give me the idiots guide to splice? I can't stand these websites that use videos to explain shit, when a couple of sentences would suffice.

It's a DAW sharing platform? Or is it a project management tool?

Old Post Feb-14-2018 23:32 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

I would imagine most people use it as a sample subscription tool.

I looked at it for a month (when it was free) and decided that if I haven't already got what I'm looking for in 600GB of samples, pissing more money into the cloud every month probably wouldn't help any.

Old Post Feb-15-2018 00:25  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

lol true. To be honest, I need to organize my samples and probably buy a ton more; I think the last ones I bought were vengeance packs. Makes me feel very 2007.

Old Post Feb-15-2018 15:42 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SystematicX1
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Wait, why have I not heard about this dark magic?

Can someone give me the idiots guide to splice? I can't stand these websites that use videos to explain shit, when a couple of sentences would suffice.

It's a DAW sharing platform? Or is it a project management tool?

Splice is actually very cool. You can rent to own plugins and even some vst synths (serum,massive,sylenth) It has multiple DAWS to choose from and at one point you could rent to own those as well.
The studio feature allows people to work on a project without having to generate files and send back and forth to another. Since this is client side you can literally work on a project simultaneously from different parts of the world.
The sample library is enormous yet stores all the tones you need via cloud

Old Post Feb-16-2018 06:25  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SystematicX1 Click here to Send SystematicX1 a Private Message Add SystematicX1 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Seems interesting and probably better for wither people that want to collab remotely, or those starting out that don't know what DAW they want.

I've always done dropbox which while it takes a little organization, isn't too much of a ballache.

The thing I never get about live collab (unless it's producer/artists) is that usually you can't work on the same track at the same time.

Old Post Feb-17-2018 03:47 
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

Their plugin financing is actually a really good idea. Goes some way into combating the rampant piracy amongst the entitled masses.

Old Post Feb-17-2018 14:16  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by tehlord
entitled masses.

I believe you spelled "Millennials" wrong.

I've never really understood the plugin market model in this respect. Just make a demo that only has half the features then sell the real thing for fairly cheap.

If your pugin costs $100-$500 then there's only going to be small number of people that buy it. You make it $20-$60 and people won't bother wasting their bandwidth on finding a dodgy trojan laden version, and if they are willing to go through all that, then they're too much of a miser in the first place to have ever shelled out.

I never got why certain companies couldn't understand they'd sell more (both volume and total revenue), not to mention build better brand loyalty by pricing lower.

Old Post Feb-18-2018 02:09 
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
I believe you spelled "Millennials" wrong.

I've never really understood the plugin market model in this respect. Just make a demo that only has half the features then sell the real thing for fairly cheap.

If your pugin costs $100-$500 then there's only going to be small number of people that buy it. You make it $20-$60 and people won't bother wasting their bandwidth on finding a dodgy trojan laden version, and if they are willing to go through all that, then they're too much of a miser in the first place to have ever shelled out.

I never got why certain companies couldn't understand they'd sell more (both volume and total revenue), not to mention build better brand loyalty by pricing lower.

You'd think that was true, but it's not.

Even Reaper has been pirated to remove the nag screen, and so has all the Valhalla stuff. I do a lot of work for KV331 and they regularly have sales on so that you can buy Synthmaster for about $50. He had some kick ass anti piracy code in there but a team still spent three years cracking it and his sales dropped 75% overnight.

People, are cvnts. Entitled, greedy, entitled cvnts.

Old Post Feb-18-2018 18:44  United Kingdom
cryophonik
Boom shanka

quote:

I think you're probably right, but I wonder much the additional support requests would factor into the price. From a small developer's (e.g., 1 or 2 person shop) perspective, all those extra support tickets could be a huge PITA. Selling fewer licenses at a higher margin would probably be preferable???

Sonar Platinum | Ableton Live 9 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Lead 4R | NI Maschine

Old Post Feb-18-2018 20:20  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Splice | Any subscribers? Reviews? Thoughts? Is there a better alternative?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackWOOW! What a tune! [2003] [3]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackClub Royale - Losing Sleep [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread