Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Phono to 6.35mm cable?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
the-sixth
Supreme tranceaddict

Phono to 6.35mm cable?

HI All

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface and previously I used an RCA phono cable out of the mixer and at the other end as input into the focus rite I had 2 6.35mm connectors that went into the front of the focusrtie

I've went to buy another cable as the previous one I got with the unit however I am now concerned that any cable i google says MONO !

Can anyone advice what the best stereo cable would be for taking an DJ mixer RCA phono output and pumping it into the focusrite?

Thanks

Rare Vinyls spinning on video If you like that sort of thing

Old Post May-20-2018 13:07  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for the-sixth Click here to Send the-sixth a Private Message Add the-sixth to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
the-sixth
Supreme tranceaddict

An example of the cable

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2m-6-35m...X8AAOSwkNZUbmhM

Old Post May-20-2018 13:07  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for the-sixth Click here to Send the-sixth a Private Message Add the-sixth to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

don't worry, of course they're mono. Each side is just two conductors, hence RCA to MONO 1/4" (6.53mm) jack. Two of them make a stereo signal.

That ebay cable is right, albeit a little cheap.

EdIT: was too late to go in to last night, but you could also go Pseudo balanced. It's where you use a TRS (3 conductor jack) instead of the Mono (TS jack) and then use a three conductor cable, wired TRS as normal on the jack, but then at the RCA end, you solder the ground to the neutral.

Unlike a normal balanced cable, the pseudo balanced will still attenuate over distance, but it will have the EMI and RFI advantages over unbalanced.

The only thing is, it really only is of benefit when the source is balanced and you're going to an unbalanced destination. In this case (mixer to soundcard) you may not get any real benefit unless you're doing a long-ish run and there's chance for interference (i.e. past power cables and other unbalanced signals)

Last edited by DJ RANN on May-21-2018 at 15:31

Old Post May-21-2018 06:22 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
the-sixth
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
don't worry, of course they're mono. Each side is just two conductors, hence RCA to MONO 1/4" (6.53mm) jack. Two of them make a stereo signal.

That ebay cable is right, albeit a little cheap.

EdIT: was too late to go in to last night, but you could also go Pseudo balanced. It's where you use a TRS (3 conductor jack) instead of the Mono (TS jack) and then use a three conductor cable, wired TRS as normal on the jack, but then at the RCA end, you solder the ground to the neutral.

Unlike a normal balanced cable, the pseudo balanced will still attenuate over distance, but it will have the EMI and RFI advantages over unbalanced.

The only thing is, it really only is of benefit when the source is balanced and you're going to an unbalanced destination. In this case (mixer to soundcard) you may not get any real benefit unless you're doing a long-ish run and there's chance for interference (i.e. past power cables and other unbalanced signals)

Excellent post thank you very much for this. I am luckily not running too far so should be ok with unbalanced but this was excellent work thank you

Old Post May-22-2018 11:03  United Kingdom

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Phono to 6.35mm cable?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackinteresting tune... really just need to listen to it. [2006] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackJurgen Vries - The Opera Song (Full Vocal??) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread