Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > CDJs....Rekordbox and USBs
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
A.B
Supreme tranceaddict

So after not Doing for a few years, I find myself having a couple of gigs over the weekend....

Man, so much has changed...
The last time I played out was on CD's....

Now call me a technophobe but this whole thing about me having to analyse my tracks on Rekordbox sounds like a right pain in the arse....
I googled a few tutorials and if you strip back on all the hype about 'cue point's and all the wonderful stuff rekordbox does.... it doesn't really seem like something I have any interest in doing.
I'm pretty much a play track and mix into the next type of guy (it was what I enjoyed on vinyl, what I enjoyed on CD and something I would like to continue to do on USB)

Now, here is all I need to know:

1 - Can I simply plug my USB into the CDJ and go?!

2 - I'm not fussed if the BPM analysis on the display is inaccurate as I'm comfortable to mix by ear.
How long does it take to analyse the full USB though? If I'm a few comfortable minutes into track A then track B / C / D etc should have the waveform display instantly when I go to that particular track...? All present and correct within a minute or so in a manner of speaking.

3 - If I was to analyse my tracks via Reckordbox for use on Pioneer equipment, could I then use the same USB / folders to play on a Denon controller?

Any advice appreciated and thanks in advance.

Old Post May-26-2018 00:09  Scotland
Click Here to See the Profile for A.B Click here to Send A.B a Private Message Add A.B to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Welcome back!

Can't help too much as I'm not a Rekord box guy either, and weirdly, I'm soon going to be in the same position; I've somewhat been out of the game (my decks were packed up for the best part of a year while we moved house and I got the studio set up etc.

I've always hated DVS but with the new phase controller coming out in a couple of months, I'm finally going to bite the bullet.

I can help a little with the USB though.

1, Yes, you can just plug in the UBS stick and go in to a CDJ. What format are your files in? I personally prefer wav all the way but as long as you're not mp3 vbr and just normal say 320 or I suppose at least 192 mp3 you'll be fine.

However, as I understand it, to use rekord box, you can't play any tracks that haven't been analyzed. You have to drag all/any track you want to play in to rekord box.

Here's a dummies guide but it should help with the basics:

https://www.wikihow.com/Analyze-and...ks-in-Rekordbox

3. As I understand it (and I could well be wrong though) you can use the same usb to play on both denon and pio kit. They wanted to make it cross platform. I have no idea about the specific limitations.

Maybe someone else more familiar (Freak? Woody? Nem?) can chime in?

Old Post May-30-2018 14:46 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Freak
Insert witty comment here

1) Yes. Plug and play.
You don't have to use rekordbox if you don't want to - my soundcheck USBs are just straight wavs dragged from my mac into folders on the USB without going anywhere near rekordbox, and the folders appear and work on the pioneers just fine.

2) If they have been put through rekordbox, waveforms will load instantly. If not, they will still load, just not instantly.

3) There was a firmware update for the denon sc5000 last year which means it can read rekordbox data, so it is heading the way of full cross platform compatibility. No doubt pioneer will fuck it up at some point.

Oh, and for the love of god, take a spare duplicate USB with you and make sure to hit the usb stop button before removing.

Old Post May-30-2018 16:09  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Freak Click here to Send Freak a Private Message Add Freak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

See , TA delivers again.

+1 on the duplicate USB's. I can'tt you how many times I've seen a DJ get the sweats because for some reason their ONLY USB drive is playing up. Like, what's the problem with bring two? Not enough space in your pocket?

Old Post Jun-01-2018 15:23 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
A.B
Supreme tranceaddict

Cheers for the feedback guys....

what I found was that the folder I had analysed through Denon 'engine' was not compatible via the Pioneer controller on the gig on the Saturday.

The gig on the Sunday was far more fun. I did find the bpm jump up and down slightly but mixing by ear didn't alter that (if anything, I hate having that visual as it can become very distracting)
As I was playing to an 'old skool' house crowd, a lot of the tracks were vinyl rips. As time has taught me, vinyl rips do have a strange habit of 'drifting slightly' even when BPMs are locked and again, this can fluctuate.

I still don't trust the damn things though.... Yeah, USB's are great for carrying in your pocket, but I never had an issue carrying a bag with 60 vinyl or a UDG CD case.

I was contemplating getting a couple of brand new CDJ's but reckon I'll get the RXDJ2 and plug in my good ol' reliable CDJ 850 MK2s to use in conjunction.
I guess it's simply a case of moving with the times for gigs so having the home set with the RX23PO (or whatever the fuck it's called) removes the uncertainty factor.
Let's face it, for small bars and clubs.... controllers are now the industry standard because management are quite happy for DJ's to bring their own and it saves their expense, right?

The only advantage I see with Rekordbox is the instant waveforms (which would be nice) and not having the distracting BPM drift visual.
I guess that made me slightly nervous being my first gigs in a while (Hell... is the beat locked or not??!!)

@ DJ RANN - thanks for the guide. Much appreciated.

Old Post Jun-09-2018 23:46  Scotland
Click Here to See the Profile for A.B Click here to Send A.B a Private Message Add A.B to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Freak

quote:
Originally posted by A.B

The only advantage I see with Rekordbox is the instant waveforms (which would be nice) and not having the distracting BPM drift visual.

There are others. Quantize for one which will only work with rekordbox analyzed tracks....helps massively if you are using four and looping lots for example, as you can choose where it snaps to, but all depends how you play. Like anything, it is a tool that is there if you want it.

Old Post Jun-11-2018 02:33  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Freak Click here to Send Freak a Private Message Add Freak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

@A.B. Glad it worked out and I pity the generation of "DJ's" that rely on sync buttons and don't have years of beatmatching experience. It's inevitable that at some point you're going to walk up to kit and have it crap out on you so the ability to actually play on basic equipment is a fundamental.

@Freak - Had no idea about the quantise thing. Good info.

Actually what's you're preferred platform?

As soon as it comes out in September, I'm jumping on these:

https://www.phase-project.com/

But I'll need to use either traktor, rekord box (and I think it works with serato too?).

Old Post Jun-13-2018 17:44 
miamitranceman
Extreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
@A.B. Glad it worked out and I pity the generation of "DJ's" that rely on sync buttons and don't have years of beatmatching experience. It's inevitable that at some point you're going to walk up to kit and have it crap out on you so the ability to actually play on basic equipment is a fundamental.

@Freak - Had no idea about the quantise thing. Good info.

Actually what's you're preferred platform?

But I'll need to use either traktor, rekord box (and I think it works with serato too?).

Been using Traktor Scratch Pro 2 with external control for about 3 years now and love it. Easy to use and customizable.

www.mixcloud.com/jluger

Old Post Jun-13-2018 21:13  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for miamitranceman Click here to Send miamitranceman a Private Message Add miamitranceman to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Freak

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN

Those phase project things look awesome and I have been following them closely...although truth be told, I wasn't expecting them to be at that price point. A bit high imho.
Will try and blag some for a test.

Check ya PMs too

Old Post Jun-16-2018 02:20  United States

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > CDJs....Rekordbox and USBs
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackVocalist on 'The Opera Song (Brave New World)' [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHatiras – Money Shot [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread