Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > dj's that you are surprised still tour ???
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
LoveHate

dj's that you are surprised still tour ???

i have to say darude.

but in all honestly some people that haven't had a release in years or do nothing in terms of trying to integrate to social media...magda comes to mind ... now maybe its because they have built a reputation with club goers , however to the casual fan we don't really see them on like instagram or twitter so they seem ancient.

they say deejaying is a young mans game, but to me this is a pretty healthy schedule for artist who aren't necesesarily known for their releases or really promoting themselves in an eccentric way..

Old Post Jun-22-2018 04:43  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for LoveHate Click here to Send LoveHate a Private Message Add LoveHate to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Paradox Lost
In This Twilight

Honestly, anyone who was touring since at least the late 90's and who continues to tour to this day. Granted, that's nothing compared to rock bands who formed 30+ years ago and who still manage to tour, but bands generally tour off new material with plenty of downtime when they want it, and their shows- while more intensive- span 90 or so minutes. Headliner names like Sasha and Digweed go out there weekend after weekend, to country after country, banging it out hour after hour, and even though they're behind the house system with their custom fit earplugs surrounded by their nice clean monitors, playing out all night on your feet under those conditions sounds downright grueling- and that's just *one* night in one club. I don't know how these old timers keep it going.

Old Post Jun-22-2018 11:07  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for Paradox Lost Click here to Send Paradox Lost a Private Message Add Paradox Lost to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Pete Tong once called DJing the "ultimate manual labour" because no matter how much you get paid, you have to go and do something physically demanding to collect every paycheck.

To be honest, I don't think DJing is a young man's game, and it hasn't really been since the original land grab of the early rave scene. Even relative "newcomers" are normally in their late 20s or early 30s, because it takes a solid decade of hard work to build a profile. And most of the best DJs are the ones who've been playing for years and years.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jun-22-2018 12:13  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

I did a studio session with Sharam from Deep Dish and he was basically saying it's completely grueling, and those guys didn't even tour like Sasha and Diggers, or Carl Cox and Danny Rampling etc.

I realized early on that you have to have such an overwhelming passion to stay up late every single weekend, in clubs (often shitty), living out of a suitcase and on planes, eating plane food 80% of the time, and probably spending a few weeks a year in your own bed.

Personally I didn't want the life which is why I suppose is why became an engineer rather than out and out pursuing the DJ life.

All the older guys from the 90's did indeed get in to in their 20'a and 30's (rampling is 56 now and retired, Cox is 55, Sasha is 48, Digweed is 51) but these days it's WAY younger.

Zedd is 28, Martin Garrix is 22, Madeon is 24, Avicii was 27 and all these guys have been around for 8 years plus, making them teens when they hit the big time.

It becuase of the rise of the EDm producer being an instant path to touring (moreso than ever before) and not having to grind away on the club circuit for 10+ years to make a name.

Shit marrix basically had one big tune and rode it all the world to world tours.

Madeon was 16 when Pop Culture went viral and he went on tour by 17.

I think they guys who have been around since the 90's and are still touring have two things;

1, They love it so much they're made for it.

2, They wouldn't know how to do anything else and just keep going both personal reasons, and for financial.

I have to say, I respect Digital Blonde's most recent rant about him being a Road Construction worker and still playing out for the love of it even though it make no sense financially.

A lot of guys form the 90's and 00's tried to get in to other industries.

Oakenfold wanted to become a score composer and while he could have done worse, I think the stark reality of how difficult it is became apparent and I don't think he's working on any score now.

The Trouser Enthusiasts became commercial music composers/library guys and I think are doing OK.

Dave Ralph now lives in Boston where I think he owns a nightclub.

Old Post Jun-22-2018 19:56 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
the-sixth
Supreme tranceaddict

Carl Cox was hospitalized a while back cant remember exact year.

I've done a lot of flying (not Dj related) and I was bloody sick of it, hated the journey to the airport even. Always some bullshit to deal with, delays etc etc

Real troopers anyone who can cope with that weekend after weekend and I am not talking about A list, first class flying DJs I mean guys who are slogging it on easyjet and budget airlines

Rare Vinyls spinning on video If you like that sort of thing

Old Post Jun-22-2018 20:06  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for the-sixth Click here to Send the-sixth a Private Message Add the-sixth to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Zedd is 28, Martin Garrix is 22, Madeon is 24, Avicii was 27 and all these guys have been around for 8 years plus, making them teens when they hit the big time.

What's the point in comparing circus performers like them to Carl Cox or Sasha? Why not compare the ages of new generation DJs who have remotely similar styles or profiles?

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jun-22-2018 20:53  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

Yeah, most underground DJs that break out are in their early 20s at least. And then most of them will probably quit or fade out within a few years years. The people that reliably tour the underground circuit are almost all 30 or over.

I think a big part of it is that, unless you hire a ghost producer, making an underground club hit requires fairly solid technical skills, which takes years to aquire and you need to compete with people that have been making club bangers for 10 or 20 years. Most 18 year olds just aren't there yet.

Old Post Jun-23-2018 12:20 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > dj's that you are surprised still tour ???
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackWhat's This Stunning Track? [2004] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackFire & Ice - "Silent Cry" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread