Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > New Djrum album
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

New Djrum album

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/djr...wood/694963-01/

Clips sound nice although nothing is blowing me away, I think he suffers from the 'DJ Shadow syndrome' where he was "unlucky" enough to put out a near flawless record early in his career (Mountains EP), which is almost impossible to top.

Old Post Jul-05-2018 08:29 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

More than a little unfair. Mountains probably created an expectation that he would be more experimental, whereas he's ultimately made stuff that's more akin to hardcore-influenced trip hop. However, some of the tracks he's made since, such as Induction and Thank You, are far more beautiful than his early stuff. His first album felt underwhelming at the time, but I still listen to it. If you want this kind of stuff, he's a cut above the likes of Synkro.

Haven't heard the samples of the new album yet, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. And hopefully he'll do a new concept mix to promote. The Clash Music one in particular is a stone cold masterpiece.

> Skipton's Only Prog Night [Warm Up Grooves]
> Welcome To the Future [Driving Progressive]
> Autumn Drive [Progressive]

Old Post Jul-05-2018 09:42  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

I mean, I still like his newer stuff but it's "just" nice to listen to. I think in that way he is very similiar to James Blake, where they developed into a more acoustic, musically accomplished and emotionally frail sound but it's not nearly as radical as their first records. The Mountains EP and some of the early James Blake records made me go "what the fuck is this, I've never heard anything like that before", which is something very few records have ever accomplished for me and 7-8 years down the line they still sound radical and unchallenged in the way they play with musical conventions.

But perhaps you are right and the DJ Shadow comparison is a little unfair, considering his newer records aren't necessarily worse in terms quality, they're just not as innovative and singular.

Old Post Jul-05-2018 13:41 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MSZ
deepressive

amazing stuff, hes doing something fucky with the tuning it hits so nice.

Old Post Jul-05-2018 17:37  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for MSZ Click here to Send MSZ a Private Message Add MSZ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SPANIARD
Supreme tranceaddict

Can't say I'm any expert on this side of experimental music but this seems totally bland and boring with the exception of showrreal part 3.

Old Post Jul-05-2018 17:57  Spain
Click Here to See the Profile for SPANIARD Click here to Send SPANIARD a Private Message Add SPANIARD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MSZ
deepressive

quote:
Originally posted by SPANIARD
Can't say I'm any expert on this side of experimental music but this seems totally bland and boring with the exception of showrreal part 3.

what are the qualifications of being an expert in a genre of music?

Old Post Jul-05-2018 18:16  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for MSZ Click here to Send MSZ a Private Message Add MSZ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by SPANIARD

Bit of an odd one to pick out as more interesting than all the rest.

I've listened to the samples now. Apart from "Sex", which sounded very grating, I like the sound of all of them. Seems like it will be a little more out-there than Seven Lies, still without being hard work to listen to.

Interesting to read that he's moved away from sampling on this occasion, and written and recorded the instrumental parts himself.

Old Post Jul-05-2018 18:57  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Anyone had a listen yet? It's a lot more experimental than Seven Lies, and the mood much is darker and bleaker. It flows very well as an album and it's immaculately produced. Amazing that he's managed to translate his sound so seamlessly from sampling to composing and recording real instruments and vocals. However, while the opening stretches are very beautiful, I feel it lacks a radiant moment at the climax to really elevate it. Even so, this is high calibre mood music.

Old Post Aug-20-2018 22:32  England
SynthNinja
Supreme tranceaddict

My favorite is waters rising, I guess maybe it reminds of Flying Lotus style, very ethereal and warm atmosphere it has plus the vocals sound something like lotus would use also.

The rest is just intricate contextual art.

Old Post Aug-20-2018 23:42  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SynthNinja Click here to Send SynthNinja a Private Message Add SynthNinja to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > New Djrum album
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread