Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > [Marathon mix] Theme Challenge 4 (COMPLETE)
Pages (13): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
ziptnf
Programming your future

[Marathon mix] Theme Challenge 4 (COMPLETE)

Hello everyone, and welcome to the TA DJ Challenge Series!

Challenges
Original threads
March 2009 - Genre Challenge Round 1
May 2009 - Genre Challenge Round 2
July 2009 - Genre Challenge Round 3
July 2010 - Genre Challenge Round 4
February 2011 - Genre Challenge Round 5
April 2012 - Genre Challenge Round 6

New Challenge series
January 2014 - Theme challenge
September 2014 - Genre challenge
September 2016 - Theme challenge 2
June 2017 - Theme challenge 3

The Rules

The rules for this year's Theme Challenge will be much more relaxed than previous years. Traditionally there was a signup period, a mixing/posting period, and a deadline. Additionally there was a relatively severe penalty of permanently banning participants who did not submit a mix. Those rules will be dissolved this year, as well as the "bans" of any of those previous participants. Whoever wants to sign up may do so at their leisure. Life is challenging enough by itself, there is no need to attach penalties while this forum struggles to attract and retain members.

If you are going to participate, please comment in this thread so I know you are signing up and I can attach your name below.

Theme Mix schedule
Competition begins: July 16th, 2018
Competition ends: whenever everyone submits a mix!

Theme suggestions
Top 40 remixes
Video Game soundtrack
3-6 hour marathon set

The Participants
Ziptnf - Relative Eternity
refuge
Sand Leaper - Dancing on MIR
SYSTEM-J - All Night Long
mphreak - Autumn Living Room Session
the-sixth
Mr Game+Watch - 2019 Extended Mix
wotyzoid - YEEEET
djdk - Lost in ShangriLa
Singularity55
chris1011 - Timeless

Good luck and happy mixing!

Set Archive | TA DJ Challenge

Last edited by ziptnf on Jun-01-2019 at 17:05

Old Post Jul-05-2018 15:07 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
refuge
That 303 Guy

You can sign me up for a chiptune / game set. I've done a bunch of Mega Man mixes in the past, been exactly 2 years since my last chiptune set, and I have been itching to do a new mix... bought a ton of game music on vinyl within that timeframe and this'll finally give me the push I need to do it.

Old Post Jul-05-2018 19:58 
Click Here to See the Profile for refuge Click here to Send refuge a Private Message Visit refuge's homepage! Add refuge to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

Well, if the Video Game category doesn't win the straw poll, you have to do whatever does win.

Or not, it doesn't matter really.

Old Post Jul-05-2018 23:49 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sand Leaper
Tension hunter

Sign me up.

quote:
Originally posted by refuge
You can sign me up for a chiptune / game set. I've done a bunch of Mega Man mixes in the past, been exactly 2 years since my last chiptune set, and I have been itching to do a new mix... bought a ton of game music on vinyl within that timeframe and this'll finally give me the push I need to do it.

That wasn't the idea, though, was it? The idea was to make a mix with music that wasn't made for a video game but still sounds like it would be a good fit for a video game soundtrack.

Old Post Jul-06-2018 08:20  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Sand Leaper Click here to Send Sand Leaper a Private Message Add Sand Leaper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

quote:
Originally posted by Sand Leaper
That wasn't the idea, though, was it? The idea was to make a mix with music that wasn't made for a video game but still sounds like it would be a good fit for a video game soundtrack.

I guess it was open to interpretation. My original idea mentioned making a soundtrack that would fit the game that you designed, of any game or music genre. As long as it was cohesive enough to believe it was all from one video game, I don't see why a chiptune mix wouldn't meet the challenge requirements.

Old Post Jul-06-2018 08:34 
the-sixth
Supreme tranceaddict

Im up for a marathon vinyl only set of some unknown prog classics ive been buying up.

Rare Vinyls spinning on video If you like that sort of thing

Old Post Jul-06-2018 09:09  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for the-sixth Click here to Send the-sixth a Private Message Add the-sixth to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I've voted for my own idea. Obviously. I'll be in if it comes out on top. I feel video game soundtrack is too close to past mixes I've done, and Top 40 remixes is far too limited.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jul-06-2018 09:31  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

Refuge could easily make a 6 hour chiptune mix. I bet Luke and I would be the only listeners

Old Post Jul-06-2018 11:32 
mphreak
Supreme tranceaddict

I'm in.

Old Post Jul-06-2018 12:46  Croatia
Click Here to See the Profile for mphreak Click here to Send mphreak a Private Message Add mphreak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
the-sixth
Supreme tranceaddict

@ziptnf

add me

Rare Vinyls spinning on video If you like that sort of thing

Old Post Jul-06-2018 18:42  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for the-sixth Click here to Send the-sixth a Private Message Add the-sixth to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr Game+Watch
Luka Luka * Night Fever

I'm in! Can I do a 6 hour mix of old videogame music?

I'll actually be hosting a "Videogame Name That Tune" panel at a local (and rapidly growing) retro game expo this August so I have a lot of that...

Quarantine Music Festival 2020

All My Mixes!

Old Post Jul-07-2018 15:22  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Game+Watch Click here to Send Mr Game+Watch a Private Message Visit Mr Game+Watch's homepage! Add Mr Game+Watch to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Game+Watch
Can I do a 6 hour mix of old videogame music?

Seriously though, I don't see why not. I think Jack's original intention was that you are headlining some sort of show or event and playing all (or most of the) night, so I'm sure you could easily justify that. I don't think it's specific to a prog-only rooftop party or something. Jack, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Post Jul-07-2018 16:03 

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > [Marathon mix] Theme Challenge 4 (COMPLETE)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (13): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackNick Warren / Blake Jarrell tune! HOT [2006] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAyla - "Ayla" (Dj Taundu Remix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread