Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > First time to see John Digweed
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
_Ocean_Drive_
Supreme tranceaddict

First time to see John Digweed

So in the next month, I am 20 years too late in finally joining everyone else on here to see John Digweed and Sasha separately, but Saturday night, and next month, I have a chance to finally see them live.

Question: Anyone seen them recently, especially Digweed? Should I have high or low expectations based on current form?

inb4omgdeltaheavytwilohacienda

There's a word that sums up this sort of behaviour, and that word is 'reject.'

Old Post Sep-14-2018 06:23  Japan
Click Here to See the Profile for _Ocean_Drive_ Click here to Send _Ocean_Drive_ a Private Message Add _Ocean_Drive_ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I saw him about four months ago, and I've seen him twice in the last two years. My verdict is that when he's playing growling futuristic tech house he's great, but both times I've seen him he's thrown in a lot of very boring boom-y big room techno. His style of set programming and mixing has changed enormously since the prog years as well. It's not the same smooth journey style any more, and I don't agree with some of the directions he goes in with his flow.

I've not seen him play the more melodic end of his sound, so I would cross your fingers for more of that and less of the techno, because in my opinion he's a shit techno DJ.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Sep-14-2018 10:11  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
_Ocean_Drive_
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I saw him about four months ago, and I've seen him twice in the last two years. My verdict is that when he's playing growling futuristic tech house he's great, but both times I've seen him he's thrown in a lot of very boring boom-y big room techno. His style of set programming and mixing has changed enormously since the prog years as well. It's not the same smooth journey style any more, and I don't agree with some of the directions he goes in with his flow.

I've not seen him play the more melodic end of his sound, so I would cross your fingers for more of that and less of the techno, because in my opinion he's a shit techno DJ.

Cheers.

I assume you're referring to Digweed? I listen to Transitions fairly regularly. There seem to be a couple of tracks on there that I like each week, but even on that radioshow alone, sometimes it just 'flows', and other time it seems like a mish-mash of random tech for the sake of being random.

Assuming you were talking about Digweed; Same with Sasha?

Old Post Sep-14-2018 13:18  Japan
Click Here to See the Profile for _Ocean_Drive_ Click here to Send _Ocean_Drive_ a Private Message Add _Ocean_Drive_ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Yeah, I meant Digweed. I haven't seen Sasha for about six years. He was boring as piss then and every live set I've heard since then has also been boring as piss, with the exception of his Kumharas beach set for Ibiza Sonica.

Both of them are well past their best in my eyes, but people still suck their dick like it's 1998.

Old Post Sep-14-2018 13:28  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
_Ocean_Drive_
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Yeah, I meant Digweed. I haven't seen Sasha for about six years. He was boring as piss then and every live set I've heard since then has also been boring as piss, with the exception of his Kumharas beach set for Ibiza Sonica.

Both of them are well past their best in my eyes, but people still suck their dick like it's 1998.

You've pretty much summed up what I've read and/or heard elsewhere. Well, I feel like I gotta go see them once. Thanks for the feedback.

Old Post Sep-14-2018 13:38  Japan
SynthNinja
Suspended User

I still have yet to see Sasha or Digweed

Old Post Sep-14-2018 14:13  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SynthNinja Click here to Send SynthNinja a Private Message Add SynthNinja to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Scoops
4 bags deep

quote:
Originally posted by SynthNinja
I still have yet to see Sasha or Digweed

my condolences

Old Post Sep-14-2018 15:38 
Click Here to See the Profile for Scoops Click here to Send Scoops a Private Message Add Scoops to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SPANIARD
Supreme tranceaddict

Sasha has clearly fallen further down. His sets have no direction and he's not anywhere near his pre 00's self. Having said that, Digweed has also felt a heavy decline but he's clearly the healthier of the two when talking about DJing. I agree with Jack with the Digweed criticisms as I can totally see him going way off. I will say that in the 5 times I've seen John play, they have all been completely different stories and there is a noticeable effort towards giving his fans something different. I can' really speak for how he plays in the UK or else where since, well, I'm not there.

I was fortunate enough to have the chance to see them play together last year and it's evident that they do play tracks they wouldn't play on their own. It does have more of an older progressive vibe and the programming is more on point.

I doubt many people will tell you not to go as at worst, you'll be able to check off a line on your EDM bucket list.

Last edited by SPANIARD on Sep-15-2018 at 01:32

Old Post Sep-14-2018 16:07  Spain
Click Here to See the Profile for SPANIARD Click here to Send SPANIARD a Private Message Add SPANIARD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I'd still like to see them B2B, no doubt. I had the chance in Barcelona this summer, but they clashed with Lee Burridge's event across town and I wasn't about to miss that. I've seen a lot of clips of them playing together since they hooked up again in 2016, and every tune seems to be a bomb.

Old Post Sep-14-2018 16:51  England
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

I;ve seen digweed about a dozen times since the late 90's.

My most memorable was probably when he played for 6 hours straight at Heaven (Charing Cross, London) around 2005. He was playing stuff that right on the cutting edge at the time, very "renaissance" and it flowed seamlessly between bristling moody tech house to atmospheric prog. It was quite a tour de force.

Last time I saw him was here in LA about 4 years ago at The Exchange LA and frankly it was a bit of a miss. Granted it was somewhat booked as a techno night and Claude Von Stroke was playing as well so the mix was a bit odd, but the problem was that venue is a big room and Diggers basically attempted to bang it out rather than have any semblance of flow.

His mixes in other places in recent years seem to be hit or miss. I'm always a little wary of judging a live set while not in the actual venue but typically it's not been the sort of thing that makes me wish I was there.

I'd still probably go if it's a good venue though.

As for Sasha, I wholeheartedly agree with Jack - I haven't heard a single set from him in recent years that made me think I was missing anything worth a ticket price.

The last time I saw him was Sound hollywood, he was over an hour late (who the fuck flies across country straight to a gig these days?) and although did his best, the club was forced to close 1:45mins in to the set so it didn't really get going, Was such a fucking shame as it's one of the more intimate venues I've ever seen him billed for [insert small basement room pic with having fag lit etc).

I can't quite tell whether OP's post means they're playing b2b, which I've only seen once and it was fucking amazing but it was nearly 20 years ago and I didn't really understand the magnitude then of what I was munting to.

If it is back to back, I probably couldn't avoid going.

Old Post Sep-14-2018 17:46 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
_Ocean_Drive_
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
I can't quite tell whether OP's post means they're playing b2b, which I've only seen once and it was fucking amazing but it was nearly 20 years ago and I didn't really understand the magnitude then of what I was munting to.

If it is back to back, I probably couldn't avoid going.

This time, it would be separately.

Basically, this weekend is Ultra Japan where there is a Resistance stage. However, I don't wanna $130 to listen to a 90-minute set. So, the after party is at a club in town, so I thought about going.

Last year, Sasha & Digweed did B2B at Ultra, but the set length (90 minutes) didn't justify the cost.

Digweed did a 6 hour club set in Tokyo at Contact back at the end of April which I couldn't make 'cos I was out out of the country, but he released a 6-disc CD of the night, which I bought.

So it's by chance that Digweed is playing at this after-party, and that also by chance, Sasha is playing in October.

Markus Schulz is also back in Japan for the first time in 10 years (literally) at the end of the month, too!

Old Post Sep-15-2018 01:52  Japan
SPANIARD
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by _Ocean_Drive_
Digweed did a 6 hour club set in Tokyo at Contact back at the end of April which I couldn't make 'cos I was out out of the country, but he released a 6-disc CD of the night, which I bought.

This is actually quite good. Some on here may not agree but I felt it flowed very well for a club setting. Some of the transitions were jaw dropping at points.

After I read this thread yesterday, it did occur to me that over the past 10 years, there has literally only been two Sasha live sets that I'd re-listen to. That's incredible to me.

Have to say the Chicago set is still a killer.

Old Post Sep-15-2018 17:04  Spain
Click Here to See the Profile for SPANIARD Click here to Send SPANIARD a Private Message Add SPANIARD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > First time to see John Digweed
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackId_2 [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackMarkus Schulz pres. Elevation - "Somewhere" [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread