Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Does quality of mp3 suffer if I first lower volume and then increase it again?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
andiess
Senior tranceaddict

Does quality of mp3 suffer if I first lower volume and then increase it again?

hi all

I put my mp3 collection 3 years ago on one equal volume level (db were of course mostly higher, I think I put everything on 92 db) but I find that just bit too low.

If I increase the volume now again to let's say 98 db, is there any loss in quality or can I just switch back and force and the quality stays untouched?

Cheers and Thanks

Old Post Sep-16-2018 22:09  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for andiess Click here to Send andiess a Private Message Add andiess to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

This can get a bit complicated:

Depending on how you "changed the volume" it could have either changed the file itself (i.e. a destructive process and the file was reencoded) or just the metdata which means the audio itlsef remains untouched, all that changes is the instruction at what level it should be played back at.

I only ever use MP3Gain to change the level as it's non destructive and can be undone easily. The best thing about it is that is raises the level akin to how we hear so it actually make many tracks the same level as percieved, unlike peak normalisation does.

There is still one caveat though; if you raise the gain beyond what it was originally recorded at, you'll also be including the proportionate noise floor meaning ifit started out a quiet recording but need it louder, you'll hear more noise once the gain is raised.

Old Post Sep-17-2018 18:21 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
andiess
Senior tranceaddict

thanks for the reply.

I always used to use mp3 gain indeed but I think the last time I did the volume change it was with Mediamonkey, is mediamonkey also non destructive?

Old Post Sep-22-2018 09:59  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for andiess Click here to Send andiess a Private Message Add andiess to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Have no idea. You'll need to google, I don't ever use anything else than MP3gain.

Old Post Sep-25-2018 19:22 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Does quality of mp3 suffer if I first lower volume and then increase it again?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playback5 HardTrance ID tracks (track1) [2007] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSaints & Sinners - Pushin too hard (Futureshock's confession) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread