Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > DJ (or Artist) is in town this weekend... I'm there!!
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
72hrpartyanimal
Supreme tranceaddict

Location: West LA, California (where retired party people live)
DJ (or Artist) is in town this weekend... I'm there!!

So for my other Jaded Old Farts out there who prefer to stay home and watch netflix...

What DJ (or artist) will you not miss out on?

For me it's Sasha and/or Digweed, Dixon and/or Ame'. They don't play often in CA so when they're here, I'm there! It's funny because S&D are playing in October and Dixon and Ame' (Live) are playing in September. Unfortunately, I don't think I can see them all because 1) $$$$ (not much of it) 2) the kid 3) I know i'm gonna get fuckkeedd up and will be hurting for a few days. We did purchase tickets for Sasha though. I'm not ruling out that will skip out on the other 3 through

Old Post Aug-14-2019 15:23  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for 72hrpartyanimal Click here to Send 72hrpartyanimal a Private Message Add 72hrpartyanimal to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Scoops
4 bags deep

Dave Clarke!

probably because I've seen every other DJ that I have wanted to see and have yet to see Dave Clarke. He was supposed to play NYC a while ago but stupid politics by the club promoters and owners forced them/him to cancel.

Old Post Aug-14-2019 16:53 
Click Here to See the Profile for Scoops Click here to Send Scoops a Private Message Add Scoops to your buddy list Scoops is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Probably Sasha on his current form (and yes, tix bought for October) but otherwise Carl Cox. He never disappoints - it's only ever the venue that sucks and maybe the reason I won't go (i.e. Exchnage).

Old Post Aug-14-2019 19:02 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
72hrpartyanimal
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Probably Sasha on his current form (and yes, tix bought for October)

fuck yeah bro! see you there!

Old Post Aug-14-2019 19:11  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for 72hrpartyanimal Click here to Send 72hrpartyanimal a Private Message Add 72hrpartyanimal to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Re: DJ (or Artist) is in town this weekend... I'm there!!

I like how you listed four DJs you will not miss if they're in town, and then immediately explain why you will, in fact, be missing all of them when they're next in town.

Like Scoops, the DJs now that make me snap tickets up immediately are not so much my established favourites, but DJs I haven't seen before, or haven't seen for years. I get excited by the idea of something different, not by a DJ I've seen 5-10 times coming to play again. I'm not one of these people who worships DJs and downloads every radio show and knows every tune they've been playing before they've set foot in the club. I like a bit of variety.

Also, the party has to be right. I won't do massive venues or overcrowded line-ups anymore. I won't do festivals. I want small clubs and long sets. At Christmas Laurent Garnier was playing all night long in a 500 capacity club in Manchester. I was waiting at 8:58am in the morning for tickets to go live. That's the kind of thing that I will not miss.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Aug-14-2019 19:38  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Kilixpree
Supreme tranceaddict

To be fair, prices here in Brazil are so ridiculous that I can't name a single DJ that I would, for sure, be there.

Also, I was just thinking and I would be way more hyped to hear live kiskelfacit (can't remember if his nick here is the same) than other big names

Old Post Aug-14-2019 19:46  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Kilixpree Click here to Send Kilixpree a Private Message Add Kilixpree to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
72hrpartyanimal
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Re: DJ (or Artist) is in town this weekend... I'm there!!

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I like how you listed four DJs you will not miss if they're in town, and then immediately explain why you will, in fact, be missing all of them when they're next in town.

I know right! I'm fucking whacked yo!! But wifey and I are checking credit card balances because the FOMO is already kicking in. I can survive a hungover day at work and babysitter situation... the homeless guy down the street could suffice.

Old Post Aug-15-2019 17:03  United States
72hrpartyanimal
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Re: Re: DJ (or Artist) is in town this weekend... I'm there!!

quote:
Originally posted by 72hrpartyanimal
I know right! I'm fucking whacked yo!! But wifey and I are checking credit card balances because the FOMO is already kicking in. I can survive a hungover day at work and babysitter situation... the homeless guy down the street could suffice.

Looks like Dixon is doing an after party. Sitter is scheduled. We're in!

Old Post Oct-10-2019 17:00  United States
idoru
You Can Call Me Al

quote:
Like Scoops, the DJs now that make me snap tickets up immediately are not so much my established favourites, but DJs I haven't seen before, or haven't seen for years. I get excited by the idea of something different, not by a DJ I've seen 5-10 times coming to play again. I'm not one of these people who worships DJs and downloads every radio show and knows every tune they've been playing before they've set foot in the club. I like a bit of variety.

I always prefer hearing something new and different, but there are definitely certain artists out there that I know will consistently bring something new to the table and are always redeveloping themselves. On the flipside, while some artists might always sound the same, to me they might do something really well - better than most artists doing something similar - to the point where I know what I'm getting into but they're worth seeing time and again. Someone like Audion from my list below is a great example - it's a particular sound, but I know that each time I see an Audion live set (at least these days, not so much in the past) it's going to be chock full of unreleased and live, improvised material and he'll do it really well.

I also cannot spend every waking hour soaking up recordings from the same handful of artists. I'll definitely listen to some sets, particularly to see if they're worth checking out live, but I need variety and always want to find something new and different.

quote:
Also, the party has to be right. I won't do massive venues or overcrowded line-ups anymore. I won't do festivals. I want small clubs and long sets. At Christmas Laurent Garnier was playing all night long in a 500 capacity club in Manchester. I was waiting at 8:58am in the morning for tickets to go live. That's the kind of thing that I will not miss.

This definitely plays into it hardcore for me. I've opted not to see certain artists I love, or have wanted to see for a long time, simply because I know the crowd would be insufferable, or the space sucks, or anything like that. Small, intimate venues with extended sets where you know the majority of the crowd is there for the music and the artist above all else have time and again proven to be the best places to experience music.

With that said, this is a list of artists who have impressed me live the few times I've seen them, and unless they get repetitive/predictable, I would absolutely go out of my way to see again.

Nils Frahm
Rhadoo
Raresh
Petre Inspirescu
Barac
Afriqua
Leif
Kai Alce
Lusine
Matthew Dear/Audion
Francis Harris
Tim Hecker
Lawrence
Derek Plaslaiko
Donato Dozzy/Voices From the Lake
Sammy Dee
Chez Damier
St. Germain
Robert Glasper
Fred P

Last edited by idoru on Oct-10-2019 at 18:53

Old Post Oct-10-2019 18:40 
Click Here to See the Profile for idoru Click here to Send idoru a Private Message Add idoru to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MR STROKE
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:

Also, the party has to be right. I won't do massive venues or overcrowded line-ups anymore. I won't do festivals.

crusty old man

For me it's only really legacy act's that will either never play again, or just pure nostalgia DJ's I loved growing up, that generally never play in the US.

-Sasha & Digweed
-LTJ Bukem
-Daft Punk
-Massive Attack
-Danny Tenaglia

maybe: Carl Cox (depending on the location)

Old Post Oct-10-2019 19:22  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MR STROKE Click here to Send MR STROKE a Private Message Add MR STROKE to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
idoru
You Can Call Me Al

Re: Re: Re: DJ (or Artist) is in town this weekend... I'm there!!

quote:
Originally posted by MR STROKE
crusty old man

But why? Not to pivot to a different subject that's been beaten to death time and again, but hour-long festival sets where artists are pandering to the lower common denominators are never as interesting, musically, as intimate venues with a more open-minded audience that lets artists take their time and take more risks. You can party just as hard in either setting, but there's definitely a stark difference in the quality of the music between the two.

Old Post Oct-10-2019 19:45 
Click Here to See the Profile for idoru Click here to Send idoru a Private Message Add idoru to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MR STROKE
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Re: Re: Re: DJ (or Artist) is in town this weekend... I'm there!!

quote:
Originally posted by idoru
But why? Not to pivot to a different subject that's been beaten to death time and again, but hour-long festival sets where artists are pandering to the lower common denominators are never as interesting, musically, as intimate venues with a more open-minded audience that lets artists take their time and take more risks. You can party just as hard in either setting, but there's definitely a stark difference in the quality of the music between the two.

Agreed, but both have their positives and negatives.

Also: why does everyone assume a festival these days is either TomorrowLand or Coachella ?

There are plenty of smaller festivals that allow for longer more open sets.....

Old Post Oct-10-2019 20:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MR STROKE Click here to Send MR STROKE a Private Message Add MR STROKE to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > DJ (or Artist) is in town this weekend... I'm there!!
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackFunky/Prog ID Help! [2005] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSvenson & Gielen - "We Know What You Did" [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread