Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Need dark disco recommendations
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Paradox Lost
In This Twilight

Need dark disco recommendations

Putting together a mix along the above theme, but having trouble zeroing in on any one trove of this stuff because it's kind of a niche style in a niche sound. Still, I know it's out there, and have plenty of my own, so I'm looking for recommendations of artists and labels I can dive into, though track suggestions are fine (I'll take mixes, too).

Looking for those moody slow chuggers with heavy baselines and extra grit:

Watcha got, TA?

Last edited by Paradox Lost on Jul-17-2020 at 01:58

Old Post Jul-17-2020 01:48  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for Paradox Lost Click here to Send Paradox Lost a Private Message Add Paradox Lost to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I fucking love that Ghost Vision track. It mixes like a dream with this muthafucka. You can have this transition on me:

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jul-17-2020 09:54  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Also, Damon Jee is the king of this style, as well as under his aliases Nozz and Holographic Planes. He's like the Hardfloor of dark disco - the formula is always exactly the same but the end result is always satisfying.

And a few random favourites:

Vox Low - Galactic Pot Healer

Guero - Elektronique (the whole album is great)

Craig Bratley - Computer Controlled (again, the whole album is great)

Man Power - Kiloton (Hardway Bros Remix)

Kairos - Disco Nebula (Connor Remix):

Roliva & Technicism - Neumatico

Curses! - The Deep End (Holy Ghost! Dub)

I should also hype my mate Rob, as this sound is his speciality and I'm sure you can profitably strip mine his tracklists: https://soundcloud.com/freqlikeme

Old Post Jul-17-2020 10:19  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dykes_on_Jay
Ape me.

Do they need to be this slow?

Until then have an intro on me at 13:20

Old Post Jul-17-2020 14:29  China
Click Here to See the Profile for Dykes_on_Jay Click here to Send Dykes_on_Jay a Private Message Visit Dykes_on_Jay's homepage! Add Dykes_on_Jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Why bother replying if you have no clue about the music in question?

Old Post Jul-17-2020 15:25  England
Dykes_on_Jay
Ape me.

Because you're a faggot and I feel like it.

Old Post Jul-17-2020 15:28  China
Click Here to See the Profile for Dykes_on_Jay Click here to Send Dykes_on_Jay a Private Message Visit Dykes_on_Jay's homepage! Add Dykes_on_Jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

Check out slow motion records on Bandcamp. Also correspondent. Both are record labels if one was not aware

Old Post Jul-17-2020 15:43  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Paradox Lost
In This Twilight

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I fucking love that Ghost Vision track. It mixes like a dream with this muthafucka. You can have this transition on me:

Ohh, that is red hot. Fired them both up in Traktor and the guitar in Saturnus just glides so effortlessly over that rhythm. Might be a tad too acidic for the spirit of this mix, as I’m going for more of a ‘midnight cruise through 1970’s Times Square’ mix that plays out like a dark kaleidoscope of grit and vice in a Dante’s Inferno kinda way, but I'll keep this in mind for the uptempo stretches.

quote:
Also, Damon Jee is the king of this style, as well as under his aliases Nozz and Holographic Planes. He's like the Hardfloor of dark disco - the formula is always exactly the same but the end result is always satisfying.

I should also hype my mate Rob, as this sound is his speciality and I'm sure you can profitably strip mine his tracklists: https://soundcloud.com/freqlikeme

quote:
Originally posted by planetaryplayer
Check out slow motion records on Bandcamp. Also correspondent. Both are record labels if one was not aware

Perfect, thank you both! Yeah I've found this material scattered here and there over the years, but haven't been able to come upon any one hub, be it label or DJ, where I can just comb through it track after track, so this is exactly what I've been needing.

I recognize Kiloton from either the Waxwerks or Leftorium sets you posted in this thread from back, so if you know of any other Weatherall sets in a similar vein, feel free to post em up.

Last edited by Paradox Lost on Jul-18-2020 at 00:07

Old Post Jul-17-2020 18:13  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for Paradox Lost Click here to Send Paradox Lost a Private Message Add Paradox Lost to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

All of 'em. This sound wouldn't exist without Weatherall.

Old Post Jul-18-2020 09:13  England
Paradox Lost
In This Twilight

My compliments to your friend Rob. I've been trawling through his sets, and they've proved a steady supply of just what I've been looking for. I'm gonna have to pitch south pretty hard for a lot of these in order to get the sound I want, but this is the style I need.

One thing I don't quite understand is the relationship between acid and disco. I think Rob has it right when he refers to it as 'disco techno,' the latter of which probably accounts for the 'dark' feel it has, but what I don't understand is where acid comes in, and it seems to come in a lot.

From my own stash:

Old Post Jul-18-2020 19:29  Palestine
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by Paradox Lost
One thing I don't quite understand is the relationship between acid and disco. I think Rob has it right when he refers to it as 'disco techno,' the latter of which probably accounts for the 'dark' feel it has, but what I don't understand is where acid comes in, and it seems to come in a lot.

I've no idea what you mean. It comes in because producers put it in.

There are all kinds of disparate sounds thrown in this genre-not-genre: lots of electro-clash influence, lots of rock guitar, lots of Middle Eastern scales, lots of '80s synth-pop, lots of EBM. Why not acid as well?

Old Post Jul-19-2020 19:57  England
Paradox Lost
In This Twilight

quote:
I've no idea what you mean. It comes in because producers put it in.

There are all kinds of disparate sounds thrown in this genre-not-genre: lots of electro-clash influence, lots of rock guitar, lots of Middle Eastern scales, lots of '80s synth-pop, lots of EBM. Why not acid as well?

EDIT: Thought it through and never mind.

Last edited by Paradox Lost on Jul-19-2020 at 20:25

Old Post Jul-19-2020 20:13  Palestine

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Need dark disco recommendations
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackold trancer for i.d. [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackFire & Ice - Let There Be Light (Primer Remix) [2006]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread