Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Dynamic EQ's
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Teezdalien
Supreme tranceaddict

Dynamic EQ's

Hi All. I felt we need a new thread here, so I want to ask y'all for thoughts opinions on different Dynamic EQ's. I'm thinking along the lines of Soothe, Gulfoss and DSEQ. A few questions I have.

Are these devices worthwhile seeing as they're not exactly cheap?
Are there significant differences between these EQ's?
Why would one choose to use one of these over typical parametric EQ combined with ear training?
Are there any other good alternatives I've overlooked?

Old Post Aug-11-2020 20:23  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Teezdalien Click here to Send Teezdalien a Private Message Add Teezdalien to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mel David
Supreme tranceaddict

🦉 There are two from MeldaProduction. I've had the MDynamicEq since launch but I've only used it one or twice. There are a lot of useful applications for it & it has similar controls to a compressor, but whereas a compressor messes with transients, a dynamic eq processes only target frequencies. Wait for a 50% sale if interested.

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MDynamicEq
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MAutoDynamicEq

🦉 I'm sure you've read the blurb on soothe & Gulfoss. These are newer plugs & have much more bands to analyze the audio. Soothe is meant for vocal & instrument recordings & will tame harsh frequencies--it will de-ess & get rid of room resonances. Gullfoss is more for mastering use & will add the extra 5% sparkle & clarity to your mix. It is the audio equivalent of the Photoshop hi-pass sharpening technique. I have Gullfoss on my wishlist, waiting for a Black Friday sale. I think it is expensive but my DAW suite of plug-ins is pretty complete now. I don't really need much else apart from sample libs. I remember they had it on an introductory sale for $99 & I passed at the time, telling myself I'll just EQ manually or use RX 7's tools for enhancement.
I don't record vocals or instruments so soothe hasn't interested me yet but I think some tools from Sonible or iZotope do a similar job but in a different way. If you don't mind fixing audio manually in a graphical waveform editor you can probably get by without these new-fangled plugs but a lot of people claim they save a lot of time. Demo all of them.

FYI: If you purchase Gullfoss with a discount code it automatically becomes a Not-For-Resale version.

Sonible Smart:EQ: Based on a unique ability for automatic learning, the smart:engine™️ recognises disturbing resonances or notches & automatically calculates individual filters to optimise single tracks or the mix as a whole.

https://www.sonible.com/freiraum
https://www.jrrshop.com/tokyo-dawn-...leman-s-edition
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/ozone.html

Last edited by Mel David on Aug-15-2020 at 11:57

Old Post Aug-14-2020 19:31  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Mel David Click here to Send Mel David a Private Message Visit Mel David's homepage! Add Mel David to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Teezdalien
Supreme tranceaddict

Cheers Mel. Guess I was just fishing for others' thoughts on these kinds of devices.
I've been demoing some of these, finding quite a few similarities and different takes on the same sort of ideas. Like there's also MSpectralDynamics from Melda, Intensity from Zynaptiq and some others.

I'm leaning towards TBAudio's DSEQ as it seems a bit more affordable and sounds as good if not better than Soothe2 to me and I like the interface.

I'm mostly interested as I'm working in a space that's really not ideal for mixing and likely compromising my mixes, so I thought these may help with mix issues I would have trouble detecting otherwise.

Maybe I should just post some shit in the WIP thread haha!

Old Post Aug-15-2020 01:44  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Teezdalien Click here to Send Teezdalien a Private Message Add Teezdalien to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mel David
Supreme tranceaddict

🦉 Sound Theory's Gullfoss mastering plugin is 30% cheaper with voucher PLAP30 (provided by Produce Like a Pro). Do take note it automatically becomes a Not For Resale license once activated in your iLok account.

🤠 I purchased it. B'day present to me.

Old Post Aug-24-2020 18:15  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Mel David Click here to Send Mel David a Private Message Visit Mel David's homepage! Add Mel David to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Teezdalien
Supreme tranceaddict

Thanks for the heads up on that offer. Is there any expiry on this offer?

Old Post Aug-24-2020 20:19  Australia
Mel David
Supreme tranceaddict

🦉 MAutoDynamicEq is currently 50% off.

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MAutoDynamicEq

🦉 I've mastered a few of my old tracks & currently I'm using tame settings of 30% on Gullfoss. Sometimes I get a quieter track by 3dB & I have to apply gain & re-render. I do like this plugin. It's like pulling wool out of your ears. Now I'm trying it on Katy Perry's MTV Unplugged CD & the clarity it gives the recording is awesome.

Old Post Sep-17-2020 07:44  Australia
sr126
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Dynamic EQ's

quote:
Originally posted by Teezdalien
Hi All. I felt we need a new thread here, so I want to ask y'all for thoughts opinions on different Dynamic EQ's. I'm thinking along the lines of Soothe, Gulfoss and DSEQ. A few questions I have.

Are these devices worthwhile seeing as they're not exactly cheap?
Are there significant differences between these EQ's?
Why would one choose to use one of these over typical parametric EQ combined with ear training?
Are there any other good alternatives I've overlooked?

Have you checked out Tokyo Dawn's dynamic EQ? They have a fee version.
I use DMG Audio Multiplicity and sometime Pro-MB for my dynamic EQ needs. So if you have a good multiband compressor, you might not need a dynamic eq. -Your multiband can do the same thing. The interface is different, that's all.

Old Post Jun-28-2021 02:03  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for sr126 Click here to Send sr126 a Private Message Add sr126 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mel David
Supreme tranceaddict

🤠 You're all probably customers of pluginboutique.com already but for those that aren't, their giveaway this month with any purchase is MDynamicEQ from MeldaProduction. So just look for a $5 plug to get it free.

Old Post Aug-05-2021 03:39  Australia

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Dynamic EQ's
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHeeellllp Me Plse [2003] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackMental Theo - "Revolution" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread