return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

What would you do in this situation?
View this Thread in Original format
Mebot
Got a question for all DJs out there:

When i was spinning at school i was transisting between tracks. I had the beats matched and i was just easing the crossfaded over to the other track. The beats started getting off a little, so i reached over to adjust the pitch.

I dunno how other ppl have their setup (like the turntables tilted up scratch battle style or just conventional side by side with mixer in the middle) but due to limited space the decks were set up in battle mode so i had to reach over the spinning record to adust the pitch.

A drop of sweat fell on the spinning record near the middle of the track. SO heres my question.... what do u do in this situation?
i didnt want the needle to pick up any wetness and short out but i culdnt just leave the drop there.
so i stopped the record and quickly dried it up with my cleaning cloth. i tried to get the record back in sync but the damage was done and the mix sounded horrible.

anyhoo, i learned from my mistake and now i make sure to wipe my sweat off before i do anything.

Im just curious as to what someone else would have done. Thankx for the feedback
Project T
even if your sweat had stayed on it would have made no difference, so long as your cleaned the record and needle afterwards
JohnSmith
i'd have just let it play. like luke said, even if it went right through the sweat, it wouldn't have "shorted out" the needle, it's not like it's electrical, it's just a vibration.

in any case, i wouldn't have done ANYTHING while in the middle of the mix. I'd have just kept going, and maybe tried to dab it up later.
DJ_Shockwav
i was djing in a club
mid-mix i took a swig of beer and it foamed up and splashed a bit on the record, i just let it play and cleaned up after
djdawn
had similar problems at Loveparade 2001, people with super-soakers shooting at you and also it started raining at some point. Just keep spinning :)
That's what your records are there for, anyway!
big dave
quote:
Originally posted by djdawn
had similar problems at Loveparade 2001, people with super-soakers shooting at you and also it started raining at some point. Just keep spinning :)

sounds like a good laugh
ChavezHype
quote:
Originally posted by djdawn

yea man... i had that same problem when i was playing out in Homelands 2001... ahhh who am I kidding:D .
Maybe if I get as good as dawn. :)
Flash Bastard
hehehe :) .. the vinyl is plastic so no problem if it's get wet i guess
Ghostface
surely though if there was too much liquid on the record then the needle would lose traction and skip across?:conf:
Tiger777
Water is no problem, on the contrary, I've seen a dj spoil water (deliberate) on his record (I got an explaination why he did that, but, I forgot it :D ) and I couldn't hear any difference.

But when sweat dries, it leaves staines, and they may cause a dissortion. So, next time, whipe it off when you take the record of the tt...
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement