return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
You can probably relate to this!
View this Thread in Original format
Digital Aura
Im just gettin the hang of Project5 (kind of) and Im working on this tune and after about 2 days of fiddling and tweaking, I came up with something workable if not half-decent! So I'm hammering out the melody of the lead synth and after I've heard it about 20 times I get this funny feeling like, "um...is this already a song?".
In walks my wife and when I play it to her she goes, "Oh! I like that song...what was that one called again?". After I tell her ITS MINE not someone elses she laughs and says that she thinks she's heard it before...
So I spent the last week or so going through possible trance songs to find the culprit that I think I copied and I've come to the conclusion that the repetition of playing my song over and over has caused "COPYCAT SONG HALLUCINATION SYNDROME"!

ARRRGHH!!:eyes:
dbl
i think it can be pretty easy to copy something without knowing it.. atleast a couple of notes.. but that doesn't mather really.

but i know what you mean... i made a melodie a coupe of days ago and was sure that it was already a track so i gave it to some to help me find the track.. but they didn't recognise it.. soo i guess i didn't copy anything.. hehe

hehe... was gonna do a string like a week ago and kinda recognised the first notes i got, but i just keept working on it... but in some freaking way i made as the rush comes.. haha

well.. not the full melodie, but like half of it without thinking about it.. then i just made the rest for fun.. hehe
Damie Mckeown
its because in our heads, we have a place where we want the next note to go, and that is normaly based on what were used to hearing in tracks.
I do this alot:(
Digital Aura
So...should we all take a hiatus from listening to anything for a few months to gain inspiration from ourselves??

Maybe I'll move to Tibet.:nervous:
Etherium
Vert, you could have done that with a private message. Uncool.
Damie Mckeown
THIS BLACK ON BLACK CRIME MAKES ME SICK!!
Etherium
I'm holding my tongue.

Anyway, DA, this is very common. Think about how many poorly produced tunes that have been made since the advent of Fruity and other pick up and play music making programs and how many melodies have been used. You are bound to end up copying sooner or later and it shouldn't diminish the value of your song just because you happen to have a familiar melody. A song is so much more than just the melody.
Digital Aura
Etherium..so true...I just wondered about how many others experience this...I figured it was pretty common.
I only mentioned it to get a chuckle...sorry about posting so much.
Vert is right...I have been very active in here especially about Project5.
I'll go into hibernation now...

;)
dbl
quote:
Originally posted by Digital Aura
Etherium..so true...I just wondered about how many others experience this...I figured it was pretty common.

;)

talking about it is no problem... just that you could always stay too 1 thread with P5..

btw... how's it going with that P5 discription you where gonna do for the READ HERE BEFORE YOU POST thread?
doesn't need to be anything big.. just something short about the prog like there is for the others... would be nice too have it there too among the others :)
Vert
quote:

;)

Well, If it is as good as you say it is, maybe I'll give the demo another try. :D I gave it 3o seconds and said this (did that to reason though too)..

es

Nemesis44
quote:

;)

Hey there DA,

I get this from time to time also... although it's usually not your wife that tells me. ;)
With a finite amount of notes in an octave, music is a pretty amazing thing and it's not surprising that you get similarities sometimes. Besides if it's so similar that people think it's another song just say it's a remix. :)

Cheers
Nem
Digital Aura
quote:
if it's so similar that people think it's another song just say it's a remix.

HAHAHAH Nem...hilarious!:haha:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement