return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
Drum Rolls
View this Thread in Original format
ManTrance
Kinda having problems with drum rolls.

Was wondering if anyout there had any advice for alternatives/variations.

Guessing I'm probably not the only person wanting sum advice on this topic.
Mr.Mystery
Um... what kind of problems, exactly?
ManTrance
That it sounds crap and boring. Just a standard drum roll. 16beats to a bar stuff, getting louder from the beginning to the end.

Have mucked about with increasing the beats per bar, but sounds too logicial.

Do you know of any gud drum roll patterns or samples, to be used in trance productions?
Mossy
Try creating your 'roll' in your sequencer and applying a steady velocity increase (using the straight line tool) to the climax.

Obviously these rolls vary but most I have done start with the full sample - say a 16th, then change to a 32nd, then for the last bit switch to 64ths ... but it really all depends on style / speed / desired effect.
Limit
also if you feel that your roll is still to boring try adding a flanger to it with some good moevement. Just play around till you get the sound you want.

Also when you are changing speed variations in the roll try doing a change in the middle of the the bar or just after instead of changing at the end of the bar. Hope this helps.

Limit Out!
Mr.Mystery
I personally have tried moving away from drum rolls altogether and have tried to replace the fills with white noise swooshes etc.

Also, try a different pattern for the snare than the plain 16/16.
Limit
Mystery that a good idea as well as using both to determin the change would do well...but for this case I wouod drastially reduce teh volume in thr roll but just enough so that it still has a little presence and add a swoosh on top of it would do the trick.

Limit Out!
Mossy
it depends on the both the piece and the genre, but if your doing a harder tune, a sudden drop into a 4 note breakbeat loop can be just as effective as the more 'obvious' drum roll.
FuzzyGreen
I have stopped using drum rolls in my productions, but when I did I found that doing a filter sweep gave the best results for quality and tension.
ManTrance
Limit - I like the idea of a flanger, will play about with tommorow. Also like the idea of changing the note (4th,8th,16th,32nd,64th) inbetween bars. Will also play about with tommorow.

Mossy - Thats what I've got at the moment.P layed about with the breakbeat idea, can sound wicked, but not really with my latest production. Allready got an old-school break drop in there.

Mr Mystery - I want to be able to do the white noise swooshes, but have no idea of how to do them. I have no hardware. Am using FL Studio with soft synths. Got pro53, novation v-station, absynth, z3ta+ (awesome), fm7 and a few others. Any ideas on how I can create these wooshes with the stuff I've got?

Cheers for all the help guys.

Can't believe how much I'm learning everyday.

MrCowski
make a 30sc

Make only 1 osc active

Change the wave to nose

Put a filter on it (bandpass works well)

Make an cutoff sweep from 0 (LP) or 100 (HP or BP) down/up to about 50, or whatever

Add effects as needed.

The easy way.:D
ManTrance
Cheers cowski.

Will try out later!!!
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement