return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

A question about VSTs
View this Thread in Original format
svens_bath
ive not actually started producing yet, as im waiting till i can afford a new computer of my own. Thing is i was wondering if it is possible to download VSTs and then like, save them onto cd so i could transfer them to another computer?..at the moment i have a pc which the whole family uses and have broadband, so i was thinking of downloading things such as VSTs and then trasnferring them onto my new pc in my room , so that i dont have to get a sepoerate modem.....is this actually possible?? im not really too clued up in computers and production etc. thanks:)
dbl
offcourse you can ;)
Vert
quote:
Originally posted by svens_bath
ive not actually started producing yet, as im waiting till i can afford a new computer of my own. Thing is i was wondering if it is possible to download VSTs and then like, save them onto cd so i could transfer them to another computer?..at the moment i have a pc which the whole family uses and have broadband, so i was thinking of downloading things such as VSTs and then trasnferring them onto my new pc in my room , so that i dont have to get a sepoerate modem.....is this actually possible?? im not really too clued up in computers and production etc. thanks:)

Might not be legal, unless you are talking about freeware vsti's ...
es
Sloouh
The illigal bit would be downloading them if they were warez. If not you can save a file how you want, you buy the VST, it doesn't matter what you do with it unless you distribute it. You can copy it for back up reasons.
KilldaDJ
half of the best VSTis out there r free :)

however some of the others like the novation v-station and pro-53 etc r pretty dear...

btw if u r to purchase a sinth, get the v-station, this sinth is my best friend :D
Vert
quote:
Originally posted by KilldaDJ
half of the best VSTis out there r free :)

however some of the others like the novation v-station and pro-53 etc r pretty dear...

btw if u r to purchase a sinth, get the v-station, this sinth is my best friend :D

It's synth.

es
DJMikeyP
Sounds like you just need to convince your family to let you network the 2 computers. Buy some cable, a hub, 2 network cards, and then go on over to http://www.wown.com/ - its a site that has lots of tutorials on networking your computers. Once you've networked them, you can share your internet connection, trade files between computers, whatever you want. I'd also recommend looking into disabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP and instead using IPX (TCP/IP netbios will get you hacked/wormed eventually, but IPX is incapable of anything past your LAN so its safer).

So yeah, I'd recommend doing as much research and downloading of free synths as you can now, so when you finally get your computer you can have it all ready and start producing sooner.

Mike

EDIT: I guess you can just go to www.zonelabs.com and look for their free version of zonealarm, that might help the netbios situation without disabling it.
KilldaDJ
quote:
Originally posted by Vert
It's synth.

es

its written phonetically.
svens_bath
hey thanks a lot everyone, quite a few things ill have to look into there, cheers:cool: :cool:
Sebraaa12
its all about the VST'is!! http://www.kvr-vst.com/
check it out!

:)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement