return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

audio spike at the start of my riff (big picture)
View this Thread in Original format
Mossy

The area highlighted in blue above is really loud compared to the entire riff, which is weird cus it all sounds fine when playing in fruity loops before exporting. All of my exports are doing this too me though, and its making my cubase arrangments sound , full of abnormal sound jumps which surely I shoulnd't have to keep touching up with fader automation???

I tried normalising the entire sample in Recycle, but when it loops round it still clips and sounds unnatural. Any advice? Im probably doing something glaringly obvious wrong.
iLLicit
Maybe this has to do with resonance. Resonance creates a peak at a certain frequency in the spectrum. You can easily solve this problem with compression. Just find the average db-level of the main part of the riff, put a compressor on it at this threshold and use the gain to compress the sound. Should get rid of the peak this way.
Passiva
Make sure you start the filter cutoff automation before the actual riff begins. Like this (made in Reason):

And not like this:

This causes often a peak. Hope it helps!

Cheers,
Galen
hey cheggy
More likely that you have a compressor running on that sound and it is not getting the first bit of data. Same thing happens in reason and some other programs. You can try shortening the attack on the compressor but that might make other changes to the sound.

If they're loops you are exporting, is it only the first hit that is louder? If so, make the loops twice as long as you need them, then cut off the first half of the loop in cubase and use the second half which should sound okay. If you're using stuff with a lot of reverb and/or delay on it though, this won't work too well cos the delay will come in straight away from sounds before rather than after the first sound (make sense?).

You could also try using a limiter but you would have to use one on every channel which could be annoying.
Tranc3
quote:
Originally posted by hey cheggy
If they're loops you are exporting, is it only the first hit that is louder? If so, make the loops twice as long as you need them, then cut off the first half of the loop in cubase and use the second half which should sound okay. If you're using stuff with a lot of reverb and/or delay on it though, this won't work too well cos the delay will come in straight away from sounds before rather than after the first sound (make sense?).

I was thinking of adding some silence before the loop so the free radical (so to speak) is taken care of in the silence beforehand, although it can get very annoying very quickly to keep deleting silence from your loops. I dunno...check the attack envelopes of your filters and such.

Maybe fruity takes a bit to load up everything, that is, it doesn't keep it in RAM and that would account for the delay...in which case perhaps you could start the riff a bar later and export. Assuming fruity loads everything up from the start of the piece and not the selection, you could be taking care of your problem without having to delete unwanted silence in the exported loop.

I dunno, I'm just making a wild guess. I've only used demo versions of fruity, and even then not for long.
iLLicit
I do know for sure the problem isn't with Fruity. It loads all samples in ram and plays them instantly. It has to do with some other cause...
kewlness
i think it's your compressor settings...
if you have a compressor in the kick or master channel that has a low attack that would explain the problem
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement