return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

2 problems when I spin
View this Thread in Original format
UnBracKo
Hi folks!! In my recent experience spinning I found two problems I can't solve by myself so I need your help.

- 1 st problem:
Well I've been spinning for a month and a half + or -, and of course I've could beatmatch some records but most of the times I can beatmatch the two tracks only 10 seconds and then they start to gallop.

Is this a phase of your Dj'ing learning or what? What I have to do?

- 2nd problem:
The other problem I have is that when I move the pitch fader of one deck for beatmatch with the track of the other deck then I have to readjust the pitch to 0, right??. But how?? Can I move the pitch to 0 while is playing out the track?? This is a bit unprofesional for me, isn't it? How do you do this??

Well I wait your answers, Thanx in advance!
Mr.Mystery
quote:
Originally posted by UnBracKo
Hi folks!! In my new experience spinning I found two problems I can't solve by myself so I need your help.

- 1 st problem:
Well I've been spinning for a month and a half + or -, and of course I've could beatmatch some records but most of the times I can beatmatch the two tracks only 10 seconds and then they start to gallop.

Yep. You can fix this by something called "practice" ;)

quote:
- 2nd problem:
The other problem I have is that when I move the pitch fader of one deck for beatmatch with the track of the other deck then I have to readjust the pitch to 0, right??. But how?? Can I move the pitch to 0 while is playing out the track?? This is a bit unprofesional for me, isn't it? How do you do this??

Ehm... I'm not sure I understand you here... readjust the pitch to 0? Why?
trancinchink
quote:
Hi folks!! In my new experience spinning I found two problems I can't solve by myself so I need your help.

- 1 st problem:

- 2nd problem:

Well I wait your answers, Thanx in advance!

????????? readjust the pitch to 0? ok.... forget everything you were just doing. basically... there are two ways to beatmatch that most people use. some people touch the record and platter, some people only use the pitch control, (oh wait... 3) and some people do a combination of both. if you want to use strictly just the pitch fader (which i mostly do except for certain cases), you have to realize that you are moving the pitch slider "off" the correct position in order to get it on beat. basically you are either moving it faster or slower than the actual speed of the other record for the beats to line up. so you basically just have to adjust accordingly backwards toward the direction you moved it from in order for them to stay beatmatched. now what some other people do is push the record (faster) or touch the platter to slow it down and match up the beats, and then afterwards they use the pitch adjust to try and match the speeds. basically my advice is to keep practicing and eventually in a nother month or more.. you'll start getting the hang of it.
[UK]Trancedewdİ
quote:
beatmatch the two tracks only 10 seconds and then they start to gallop.

yup, i used to do this a lot as well...its just part of learning - keep practicing and try to make smaller adjustments on your pitch slider...the tinyiest touch can make a hella big difference (well on my crappy decks anyway)

quote:

i was wondering about this as well...if its only a small bit away from 0, then i just leave it there. but if its at +-2/3 then i usually put it back to 0 very slowly during the breakdown. dunno if thats what other people do though.
UnBracKo
Ok first problem is solved: PRACTICE heh

But in the second part, I dunno if I explained correctly. I meant I use the pitch for match the two records in the same speed. And for line up the two tracks I push the center of the vinyl or I touch the platter of the deck to slow one track and line up the beats with the other.
But my question was if I have one track with 0 % in the pitch and the other in 2 %, then I take out the 0 % vynil and I put another one. So what I have to do with the 2 % track which is playing out??

p.d. I think [UK]Trancedewdİ realized what I was asking. I do the same as he but I dunno if it's the best way.
Ygrene
quote:
But my question was if I have one track with 0 % in the pitch and the other in 2 %, then I take out the 0 % vynil and I put another one. So what I have to do with the 2 % track which is playing out??

For me, it depends on how the track sounds at that pitch and what track I'm playing next. If I'm playing at 2% now and it sounds ok, I'll leave it. But if I know I'm going to have to adjust my next track to 4% to match then Ill slow down a bit. My choice is to make minor adjustments on both tracks rather than make a major adjustment on one track.
`pr0digy
So your saying you have Track 1 playing live with say a +2 pitch. You leave the live track alone and beatmatch the incoming (Track 2) track to the live one. No need to set Track 1 back to 0 pitch...
trancinchink
yea... there's no need to move back to the original tempo of the vinyl.
Dirk W.
Don't worry about getting it back to 0 after you finish a transition. With a +/- 8% pitch slide almost all songs will sound okay in any pitch position.
Spuds6s
the only reason i would consider putting it back to 0 pitch is if the song just sounds ridiculous at a higher or lower pitch (above or below 7%). If that is the case, you should consider the way you plan out your mixes, I usually try and avoid mixing tracks that have too big of a difference in BPM. I guess another reason I would re-pitch during the track is if I couldn't reach the target BPM while beatmatching the incoming track. Again, you need to consider why you are mixing such contrasting BPM's. The only other reason I can think of is if your turntables don't have a solid key lock, the song can sound nasty if the pitch is turned up or down too much. In these cases, I would advise adjusting a little bit, but slowly or during a break so it is not noticeable. Otherwise, keep the BPM's where they at young man!!!!!
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement