return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Anybody uses a workstation (Triton/Fantom/Motif) to make trance?!!
View this Thread in Original format
Dance123
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody here uses a workstation like the Triton, Fantom or Motif to make trance?!

If so, would it be possible to post an audio file of how well it produces essential sounds like the supersaw pad. For instance, the Triton has that Trance Attack board but the online mp3's don't demonstrate what I consider trance allthough the patch list mentions supersaw sounds. Anybody could post a sound example of that if you have that synth.

Or if you have another workstation like Fantom or Motif then please also post an audio example to see how well it can do things like the supersaw sound.

Fact is I would like to have a workstation to make music outside my studio, so therefore I was wondering which can deliver those essential trance sounds we all love. You would expect that especially with all those expansion boards they have, but so far I haven't heard any good demos, so hopefully people who have these synths can post them! Thanks very much!! - Mike.
Perry
i dont like em at all
they are too syncy and glassy
:)
fits to ambient actually
anyway those babes arent for trance if u ask me :D
ilalin
I use Motif, it's very good for natural sounds, like pianos, guitars, strings. It is very powerfull in shaping the patches and as a workstation. The reverb is crystal pure and natural sounding, you don't need any outboard gear for effects. You won't find any typical trance patches, even though you can create weird and full sounds and arppegiated sequences. If you're into ambient or chillout trance, this is for you....it's expensive though...
DeSpErAtOs-X
i use a triton Le76 ... its kinda nice for pads, strings, and things like saxophone or a piano ... but if you would buy a workstation .. go for a motif or a fantom ... the sound of gitar, piano ... etc is way better than triton , i'm quite dissapointed about the quality of a piano in the triton ... but hell yeah, 1300 euro's and an incredible amount of sounds, ... i can't blame the pianosound if all the rest is ok :D
bachatu
well on the same realm of the triton and motif.. i use xv-5080.

I can also tell you that the natural instruments sounds extremely good. As far as trance saws and so on, depends on what wave forms are included with the module or if you can find any expansion board with those wave forms.
i purchased the srx dance expansion board and use it withy my xv-5080. I find it has many useful waveforms like JP supser saw waveforms and differnet sawtooth, square, etc..

As long as you have the right wave forms, you can make decent sounding patches. The key is to how you combine and modulate the waveforms. I myself dont find most all preset patches useful that come with that dance board, or even the preset bank on the module for trance. So basically, i think its best to work the way up .
Now, i dont know how strong modulation is on the Motif or triton.. but i believe they are fairly the same as the xv series. You most likely can route LFOs to pitch, Cut off filter, pan, etc.

As far as the supersaw sound it can be achieved as long as you program and tweak it.. involves layering along with slight modulation techniques. I find its a quiet easier creating the big saw sounds on VAs ... using pulse width modulation ...

Dance123: give me an example of the supersaw pad that you want to hear... perhaps a song or sample.. so i get an idea of how bright or fuzzy you want the sound to be.
Dance123
quote:
Originally posted by bachatu
Dance123: give me an example of the supersaw pad that you want to hear... perhaps a song or sample.. so i get an idea of how bright or fuzzy you want the sound to be.

Here's an audio example: http://users.skynet.be/soundfiles/superstring.mp3 Bright, but at the same time warm and full sounding. That pefect Roland JP8000 sound. If you open the filter on most VSTi's, it doesn't get so bright or it becomes screamy. The JP8000 has that magic of sounding bright, warm and full at the same.

Could you pleae post an audio example of how good the XV or perhaps that dance expansion board can get this sound? Same question to people who own a Triton or Motif.

Thanks very much!! :)
bachatu
quote:
Originally posted by Dance123
Here's an audio example: http://users.skynet.be/soundfiles/superstring.mp3 Bright, but at the same time warm and full sounding. That pefect Roland JP8000 sound. If you open the filter on most VSTi's, it doesn't get so bright or it becomes screamy. The JP8000 has that magic of sounding bright, warm and full at the same.

Could you pleae post an audio example of how good the XV or perhaps that dance expansion board can get this sound? Same question to people who own a Triton or Motif.

Thanks very much!! :)

Dance123: ill work on the patch when i get home from work and see if i can find a host to post a sample.

hey.. keep in mind that yes the JP8000 can indeed bright fuzzy saw sound, but also has to do with eq used and fx. I have a buddy with a couple of jp80xx and ive noticed a big difference pre and post fx and eq...
As far as software... you can get pretty good results off Vstis.. i believe there thread on this board where ppl were posting all their super saw samples and I remember ppl getting some pretty good results. It has to do a lot with the programming and fx. Anyways, as i said, ill see when i can post a sample

Cheers,
Rick
TXHARP
These days I create most of my tracks on only a Motif ES6 w/ 3 PLG150-AN plug-in expansion boards & 256 RAM. This is not due to a lack of other options, as I own several other synths and samplers. It's mostly due to the fact that I no longer like using a lot of equipment to write tracks and I live at two different locations. Traveling with the Motif ES between both locations is very convenient for me.

In my opinion, after a person really learns how to operate the Motif ES and use all of its useful features (sampler, expansion boards, etc), it works great for trance. I will say that I did not always feel this way about the Motif ES. It took some time to learn how to get the most out of the instrument. My favorite aspects of the Motif ES is the effect systems, plug-in expansions and sampler. In addition, there are some nice trance-ish type presets, when tweaked, and the sequencer is fairly decent.

In the end, I would recommend testing a few workstations at a music store. Not only listen to the presets, but tweak some sounds, try out a few different effects, etc. Basically, envision what you, the user, can do with the instrument. If your not "feeling it", then look for something else.

Ted
bachatu
Dance123: I have put together a supersaw patch with my xv-5080, using the actual JP super saw waveform from the SRX dance board. Everything you hear is from the module and did not use any external processing or fx
As far as what fx i used onboard....
used some delay + some chorus and reverb... no eq

Link is below (hosted by soundclick)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/rickydelmarmusic.htm

Prob can be done better with the xv-5080, but didn't spend all that much time trying to get it right...

Cheers,
Rick
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement