return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
Audio Cable Q...
View this Thread in Original format
neil_f
Received my Genelec 1029a's today but I'm not totally sure on which audio cable to get. I'm thinking I need 2x single Male XLR to single RCA phono. Each speaker has the same on the back, an XLR input and a 1/4" phono input. Anyone can confirm I'm buying the right thing for me before I spend my money?

[edit] Using an Audiophile 2496 with RCA L+R outputs.
Swing
You only need a basic RCA to TRS cable

Because RCA is unbalanced, there is no point getting balanced outputs. Once balancing is lost in the chain no gain can be had by using balanced pins at one point.

Furthermore, RCA to XLR and TRS to XLR are quite difficult to find as standard. Stores often will have to make them.

Just buy a basic RCA to TRS mono. As long as it's oxygen free copper cabling then you'll be fine, though I challenge anyone to be able to hear the difference over a short distance in a home studio.

Sure you can buy really expensive cables. But for 1 metre across your desk, I doubt you'd really notice it.

While we're on this topic, has anyone noticed a real sound difference with cabling apart from the very cheapest ?

I've heard no difference with my equipment.

I use average RCA cables for the coaxial digital. The 'digitally certified' coaxial RCA cables were about $US70 each ! That's each. LOL. that $US140 for a stereo pair.
h.vox
quote:
Originally posted by Swing
While we're on this topic, has anyone noticed a real sound difference with cabling apart from the very cheapest ?

I've heard no difference with my equipment.

I use average RCA cables for the coaxial digital. The 'digitally certified' coaxial RCA cables were about $US70 each ! That's each. LOL. that $US140 for a stereo pair.

Well yeah, that's a serious LOL :)
I changed my speaker cables from cheapass copper cables to VanDenHul Clearwater (7 euros per meter), and I noticed the difference, somehow the sound was more 'open', I cannot really describe it .... but it was a bit better.
Then I changed the standard cheapass connection cables (from audigy soundcard to onkyo stereo receiver - 2xRCA to stereo 1/4") for some better cables (cannot remember the manufacturer though) and didn't hear any difference whatsoever.
And speaking about prices - a guy here is trying to sell XLO Signature 2 interconnection cables with WBT 0144 cinch connectors, 1 meter long, for 250 euros, and Synergestic Resolution Reference speaker cables, 2x180 cm, with connectors, for 1200 euros!
RungeKutta
quote:
Originally posted by h.vox
Well yeah, that's a serious LOL :)
I changed my speaker cables from cheapass copper cables to VanDenHul Clearwater (7 euros per meter), and I noticed the difference, somehow the sound was more 'open', I cannot really describe it .... but it was a bit better.

Were the cheapass cables unshielded and/or un-twisted but the VanDenHul ones are? The more expensive ones might have less impurities in the metal and thus have a lower resistance and reactance. Maybe the cheaper cables were just crimped but the more expensive cables were soldered. Not sure but that all can make a big difference in quality. Like you say, its hard to describe because it isn't night/day but it is there.
broken silence
sorry if this sounds stupid, but why would you buy genelecs if you're going to be monitoring out of audiophile 2496?

Wouldn't you be better upgrading your soundcard first? Or Investing in decent outboard convertors for your monitors (Apogee's )

You arent going to get a proper representation of actual sound when being converted from the 2496 to those genelecs (not the cables, the convertors)
Etherium
I agree with Broken Silence. I'm not trying to piss on anyone's cornflakes, really, but without proper conversion (ala Apogee or the likes) and acoustic treatment, Genelecs are a complete waste of money.

I only mention this because there is still a chance you could sell them on Ebay and get something more reasonable and still have money left over for room treatment.
neil_f
Can I ask you to explain further why I'd need a better soundcard and can you make any recommendations? Money isn't really that much of a problem, I can afford to get a new soundcard, besides - the 1029a's were £300, it seemed stupid to spend £100 less on a new pair of Alesis m1's or something similar.
h.vox
quote:
Originally posted by RungeKutta
Were the cheapass cables unshielded and/or un-twisted but the VanDenHul ones are? The more expensive ones might have less impurities in the metal and thus have a lower resistance and reactance. Maybe the cheaper cables were just crimped but the more expensive cables were soldered. Not sure but that all can make a big difference in quality. Like you say, its hard to describe because it isn't night/day but it is there.

these cables were not soldered and unshielded. it is a speaker cable, which is just cut and sold that way, no terminals. speaker cable does not need to be shielded, the interference does not make any difference at the signal levels these cables provide.
and i did not say it can make a big difference in quality - but it was audible.
broken silence
If money isnt a problem, then I'd definatley invest in a top card like a motu. The reason is because the converters on low end cards such as an audiophile are , so when its converting the sound from digital to analog to your monitors, it doesnt do a good job of converting it. and if you've got top end monitors such as genelecs, theres no point in having them, if you;ve got ting converters, because flat monitors such as genelecs would be reading a flat response from convertors that are ty in the first place, so it wouldnt really be flat, now would it :D

i hope that makes sense... appogees are really amazin too, but those are just convertors. if you're lookin for a top end card, check a motu deffo.
neil_f
Damn those ting converters ;)

[edit] Haha, quite expensive those motu's...money is an issue at those kind of prices. Seen as I haven't even given the Genelecs a go coming out of my Audiophile I'll wait and make a decision then.

Cheers for the help ;]

broken silence
its still gonna sound really great with that combination, but with monitors such as genelecs, it would be a shame to not use top end convertors for top end monitors :D post back once you get the genelecs, give us a review!
Vert
quote:
Originally posted by broken silence
The reason is because the converters on low end cards such as an audiophile are , so when its converting the sound from digital to analog to your monitors, it doesnt do a good job of converting it. and if you've got top end monitors such as genelecs, theres no point in having them, if you;ve got ting converters, because flat monitors such as genelecs would be reading a flat response from convertors that are ty in the first place, so it wouldnt really be flat, now would it :D

While the Motu converters may be better, claiming that the audiophile is garbage is un-called for, unless you can back it up.

es
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement