return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

shortening the breakdowns and climax of tracks
View this Thread in Original format
raveanddie
Hi guys..

I have soundforge 6.0. I am trying to trim off the breakdowns and shorten most of my trance tracks. Problem with most of the new trance tracks is that they have too many breakdowns.. i want to remove them or cut short their breakdowns and put the climax closer to just before the breakdown point.

I have no music knowledge and what i am doing so far is just deleting off the parts of the tracks by opening it using soundforge, click and drag the points i do not want, and hit the DELETE button.

now i know this is not a good way to do it. can someone tell me of a better way? im sure most of you guys already know how to do such a small thing. If i am using the wrong software, please advise me on what to get and how to use it to achieve my intention.

some examples
A force - Atomic Outbreak (around the 2min mark - 3min mark)
Starr - Sunstroke (around the 3min mark)

pls help
danielrong
ur insane..:rolleyes:
Thunder5
quote:
Originally posted by danielrong
ur insane..:rolleyes:

Yeah, I've wondering the whole day why would he like to do that.. :D
danielrong
aight, ill try and answer ur question best i can.

theres no software except a normal wave editor to do this kind of thing. all you can do is delete and try and make the edges smooth by using fades and reverb etc.

to make it sound good though, u need the source(cubase/reason project file etc.) as theres no way to change an audio render the way ur asking.
Dj Thy
If you're looking at it the producers way, then you'll need to adjust the arrangement (ie change the structure of the song at the composition stage).

If you're looking at it the editors way (as like editing a mix cd, megamix, etc...), well then yes, you'll have to use an audio editor like Soundforge. Then your editing skills need to be solid, and you'll need some music knowledge too (you can't expect to cut three beats here, and another 5 there. You need to respect musical structures a little). But it can be done no problem on a lot of tunes (on some you'll hear if it's edited right away).

If you listen to most "Protoolsed" mix cd's, it's not only the mixing in itself that has been done in DAW, but some parts have been cut out to make the flow faster (and if you guys think I'm out of my mind saying this, you probably still believe in santa clause too :D)
h.vox
quote:
Originally posted by raveanddie
Hi guys..

I have soundforge 6.0. I am trying to trim off the breakdowns and shorten most of my trance tracks. Problem with most of the new trance tracks is that they have too many breakdowns.. i want to remove them or cut short their breakdowns and put the climax closer to just before the breakdown point.

yeah, i know what you mean ... too many tracks have that 'put your hands up in the air' wankerage with 2 minutes long drops ....

quote:

I have no music knowledge and what i am doing so far is just deleting off the parts of the tracks by opening it using soundforge, click and drag the points i do not want, and hit the DELETE button.

now i know this is not a good way to do it. can someone tell me of a better way? im sure most of you guys already know how to do such a small thing. If i am using the wrong software, please advise me on what to get and how to use it to achieve my intention.

and why it would not be a good way? i saw a friend of mine (was a pretty respected producer two years ago here) who cut one of his own tracks like that, and cut it from 6.30 to 3.15 which was needed for radio edit - opened the mastered wave in wavelab and cut it in 5 minutes. and that was the version that got on the radio and tv. if the final result makes you happy, it is a good way and you use good software. that's all there is to it. but you need to be aware of the song structure anyway to do it properly.

[/QUOTE]
h.vox
quote:
Hi guys..

yeah, i know what you mean ... too many tracks have that 'put your hands up in the air' wankerage with 2 minutes long drops ....

quote:

and why it would not be a good way? i saw a friend of mine (was a pretty respected producer two years ago here) who cut one of his own tracks like that, and cut it from 6.30 to 3.15 which was needed for radio edit - opened the mastered wave in wavelab and cut it in 5 minutes. and that was the version that got on the radio and tv. if the final result makes you happy, it is a good way and you use good software. that's all there is to it. but you need to be aware of the song structure anyway to do it properly.

[/QUOTE]
lexiconavenue
quote:
Hi guys..

I have soundforge 6.0. I am trying to trim off the breakdowns and shorten most of my trance tracks. Problem with most of the new trance tracks is that they have too many breakdowns.. ....

wtf???
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement