return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Technics SL-1200
View this Thread in Original format
hydrobromide
I currently have the chance to purchase an original SL-1200 (NOT MK2, 3 or whatever). It's fully functional, clean looking and comes with "all the original parts - counterweight, slip map and Shure MV15 Type 3 cartridge - all in the original shipping box. Stylus is not included."

What do you think this is worth. Are there MAJOR differences between the original and the newer MK2 and above models? This is going to be my first turntable if I get it. Any comments/suggestions?
DJ Lazy
The original is not something you would want to purchase to use for DJing... its more or less for listening... So if thats what you plan on doing then go for it.. But I am assuming you are looking for something that you can learn how to spin with... in which case, save up a bit more money and get the Mk2 etc...
hydrobromide
what are the major differences between the two? it's kind of hard to search for stuff on the original model. is it completely useless from a DJ standpoint? could i just use it to learn with until i can afford some mk3's?

i'm getting a pretty ok price for it, and it's just going to be for home use to practice.
Dirk W.
I know nothing about the original model but I am guessing it has a pitch adjust.... if not, then it is worthless for DJing
hydrobromide
quote:
Originally posted by MrJiveBoJingles
Umm...how will you practice on just one table? :conf:

I guess you could play a song on a normal cd player and try to match the record to it. :p

Well that, and I'm planning on buying another one as well very soon. I can hook my computer up to the mixer as the 2nd channel until I get two.

The original model has a pitch adjust just like the others. Actually on the outside it looks very much like the other models. I know there are some minor differences, I just wanted to know if they are big enough to make me not want to buy it. I can probably get this for less than $100.
beats and beeps
I'd buy it at that price for sure.
hydrobromide
thanks for the replies people. unfortunately the guy was lying about the pitch adjust. after some more research i found that the original model DOESN'T have a variable pitch adjust feature.
Dirk W.
quote:
Originally posted by hydrobromide
thanks for the replies people. unfortunately the guy was lying about the pitch adjust. after some more research i found that the original model DOESN'T have a variable pitch adjust feature.

Thats what I was thinking....
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement