return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

old beaten up techs...
View this Thread in Original format
Inertia
in my room next to me are 2 Technics 1200SL MK2 Direct Drive Turntables, and they've been beaten up to hell. my friend left for miami last week and left them to me to have fun, along with his records. so in this past week, i've learned a great deal, seeing as i have yet to get my own setup. however, even though i could mix decently 2 weeks ago, based on practice on these same decks, i can do it a whole lot better now. but the decks are in pretty messed up shape, no armrests, popup lights are dead, all scratched up, motor seems a bit on the weak side, pitch is definitely out of whack, and the dots on the platter feel a bit worn out to me for some reason.

so we go to a friend's house on thursday to spin a bit. he has his DJ shrine with his mint pair of red MK2's. i tried to spin on the things, and even though i could tell they functioned as a deck is supposed to, it felt like a completely different deck, like when i first migrated from being used to Stanton STR8-80s to the first time i used techs. i couldn't mix a damn record. not well, anyways. so i just think i was pulling flukes all week long at home, yet i get back, put a record on, and i'm mixing like no one's business. i then noticed i seem to be very used to these decks' shortcomings, their quirks and glitches. when i was on the good ones, i would either over correct or under correct.

last night we had a bit of a house party, i spun on these decks, first time in front of more than 8-10 peeps, and i did pretty well. afterwards our buddy shows up (the one with the mint decks) with his record case, and goes at it for a while. within 30 seconds of trying to mix he asks me "HOW THE HELL DO YOU MIX WITH THESE THINGS?!", but quickly adapted (he is an excellent DJ, and one of the fastest mixers i've seen.)

according to him, once i get my own decks, given they are in better shape than these, i will have an easier time spinning and be able to keep my records in time for longer. technically, this makes sense, but my experience on thursday sort of points to otherwise....

discuss, what do you think? any similar experiences?
Vlad
Getting used to different decks is one of the many qwerks of being a DJ. Most clubs all over the world will have Techs, so its not that big a deal.
SUNWmsf
When one of my tech's had a pitch wavering problem, I replaced the pitch slider and all the problems went away.

it only took ~30 minutes to replace and 30$ for the part.

I hate spinning on shotty equipment. It blows my mixing vibe.
tu_face
quote:
Originally posted by Inertia
in my room next to me are 2 Technics 1200SL MK2 Direct Drive Turntables, and they've been beaten up to hell. my friend left for miami last week and left them to me to have fun, along with his records. so in this past week, i've learned a great deal, seeing as i have yet to get my own setup. however, even though i could mix decently 2 weeks ago, based on practice on these same decks, i can do it a whole lot better now. but the decks are in pretty messed up shape, no armrests, popup lights are dead, all scratched up, motor seems a bit on the weak side, pitch is definitely out of whack, and the dots on the platter feel a bit worn out to me for some reason.

so we go to a friend's house on thursday to spin a bit. he has his DJ shrine with his mint pair of red MK2's. i tried to spin on the things, and even though i could tell they functioned as a deck is supposed to, it felt like a completely different deck, like when i first migrated from being used to Stanton STR8-80s to the first time i used techs. i couldn't mix a damn record. not well, anyways. so i just think i was pulling flukes all week long at home, yet i get back, put a record on, and i'm mixing like no one's business. i then noticed i seem to be very used to these decks' shortcomings, their quirks and glitches. when i was on the good ones, i would either over correct or under correct.

last night we had a bit of a house party, i spun on these decks, first time in front of more than 8-10 peeps, and i did pretty well. afterwards our buddy shows up (the one with the mint decks) with his record case, and goes at it for a while. within 30 seconds of trying to mix he asks me "HOW THE HELL DO YOU MIX WITH THESE THINGS?!", but quickly adapted (he is an excellent DJ, and one of the fastest mixers i've seen.)

according to him, once i get my own decks, given they are in better shape than these, i will have an easier time spinning and be able to keep my records in time for longer. technically, this makes sense, but my experience on thursday sort of points to otherwise....

discuss, what do you think? any similar experiences?

basically, once you get used to a certain deck it takes time to adjust. whenever i go round to my friends house to mix, i always have a spot of trouble on the first mix or two as i find technics lack in torque (which is why i go round there the night/day before i play out, to technify my mind :p). once you get into the swing of things, all will be good! also, as you get better and better at djing, you will find it much easier to adapt to situations like this.

to be honest, you may as well stick with those shot up technics until you find they are limiting your progress as a dj. it will do you more good than harm to gain experience of decks ;)
Mike Vicious
Its best to get used to Technics, They are the standard for clubs. I am used to Vestax..
tu_face
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Vicious
Its best to get used to Technics, They are the standard for clubs. I am used to Vestax..

I am also used to vestax, but its hardly a 10 minute job to get yourself adjusted :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement