return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Music Discussion

Pages: [1] 2 
could trance be more complex ?
View this Thread in Original format
Trancevision
Hi everybody !

I am listening to trance since a long time now. Sometimes I wonder.

The repetitive element and a quite simple structure of many tunes made me think about if this is one of the secrets why trance has become so popular.:D

"techno haters" often say: bla bla bla...always the same melodies...bla bla bla...too repetitive...no intelectual depth...bla bla bla":whip: :whip: :whip:

Could trance become more complex, I mean like classic music, having lots of different melodies in it, lots of changing harmonics ?

I wonder what you all think about it ?

Trancevision
Sevari
I think that if you ever tried to produce trance yourself you would see that trancemusic IS very complex....
SYSTEM-J
If trance was complex, it wouldn't be trance.
Boomer187
well if its not complex now, I like it like that.

Keep it.
Radagast
Na, it dun get much more complex than GOA/Psy.
Cobalt
quote:
Originally posted by Trancevision
The repetitive element and a quite simple structure of many tunes made me think about if this is one of the secrets why trance has become so popular.:D

I'm sorry, but this statement is just begging for an anti-epic smackdown. I'll leave the brunt to people more bitter about it than I ever will be.

Simple structure does not equal overdone melodies. Minimalism does not equal creative laziness.

quote:
"techno haters" often say: bla bla bla...always the same melodies...bla bla bla...too repetitive...no intelectual depth...bla bla bla"

And as far as today's most popular trance is concerned, they would be right.

quote:
Could trance become more complex, I mean like classic music, having lots of different melodies in it, lots of changing harmonics ?

It's not so much having lots of different melodies as having innovative structure and sound. Trance has been complex in the past, many times in fact, but popular trance of today is making no effort at serious musical progress. It's a structure that was once fresh and new, but now rotting from insane overuse and reluctance to evolve.
Mebot
quote:
Originally posted by Trancevision
Hi everybody !

Hi Dr. Nick! :D :p

nrjizer
Goa
Haak
quote:
Originally posted by Sevari
I think that if you ever tried to produce trance yourself you would see that trancemusic IS very complex....

haha i think he knows how to produce
and trance doesn't have as complex melodies as classical music. classical music often, like he said, has alot of different melodies in it and changin harmonies completely, like going from sad to happy within a piece etc. i don't really like that about classical, and i don't think it would work in trance
SYSTEM-J
Psy and Goa are not complex.

Cobalt
quote:
Originally posted by Haak
haha i think he knows how to produce
and trance doesn't have as complex melodies as classical music. classical music often, like he said, has alot of different melodies in it and changin harmonies completely, like going from sad to happy within a piece etc. i don't really like that about classical, and i don't think it would work in trance

Yeah, I always found classical's rapid changes in mood rather jarring. Trance fosters a richer atmosphere in a much more subtle way, but sacrifices the compact weight of classical in the process. In other words, I feel trance covers less ground than classical, but in richer depth.
Radagast
quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Psy and Goa are not complex.

Compared to most other forms of EDM, GOA is. You can't even really mix GOA properly since the music is so busy and complicated, each track is meant to stand by itself...so goa DJs rarely try, merely piecing together the ambient bits or throaway beats at the beginning and end of songs.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement