return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Cleaning a record
View this Thread in Original format
WhiteBlade
I'm a noob dj that as just start getting able to beat match most of the song I own ( 10 vinyls hehe ).I'm always taking good care of my equipement and I was wondering how do you clean your records, cause mine are getting dirty a bit and before it cause damage to anything I was wondering.

First of all , why do you clean records usually ?? Does it reduce sound quality ? Does it break your needle ?

Second what do you use to clean your record if your cleaning them ??

I was looking into this and I was wondering if it was any good ?
http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/s...rack=VPIXALLMK2

If this is not good or you have something better please tell me what it is and where to get it on the net or in Montreal Canada :P

Third of all I did a search and I found nothing so before anyone flame me I search for about 30 minutes before posting here :P

Hope it can help others too :D
Cheetah86
I use this brush:

The one you posted looks pretty good, too though. I prefer dry methods, however, a lot of people will suggest wet ones too(ones that include liquid based solutions to put on the records). There's nothing wrong with these, but if I have to deal with chemicals then I worry about putting too much or too little on, plus its easier to run out of a liquid than a solid(I think...)
`pr0digy
quote:
Originally posted by WhiteBlade
Third of all I did a search and I found nothing so before anyone flame me I search for about 30 minutes before posting here :P

Guess you didn't search well enough, it's been covered extensively a few times. I personally use lighter fluid + swiffer wipes every play.
tu_face
search is not currently fully functional.
Freak
Calotherm cloth
Not expensive- dust and crap is unavildable in a club environment, so i clean them before i put them on the platter
WhiteBlade
Is that what your talking about ???

http://www.calotherm.co.uk/branded/cloth.htm
Tiger777
quote:
Originally posted by WhiteBlade
First of all , why do you clean records usually ?? Does it reduce sound quality ? Does it break your needle ?

Second what do you use to clean your record if your cleaning them ??

1: Cuz otherwise, you get huge crackling during breaks.
2: Swiffer :D
rabbitjoker
quote:
Originally posted by Cheetah86
liquid based solutions

Good old Amyl nitrite ...

I can feel the vessels dilating now.
Psiweaver
Groove Glide and that Audioquest brush for me.
TwoPlow
Record cleaner I jacked from my dad. Works very nicely. Has a needle brush, and some liquid solution to use on the records inside of it.

cheesy
Gruv Glide, but I need to get a simple anti-static brush too. my friend has a cool vintage one that I think is from Japan. It's beige and has a red brush I think...anyone know where I can get one?
nrjizer
I just swiffer em before each play. They don't really need much more, the swiffer gets the dust and hair, and I don't worry about grime and finger prints because I'm anal and pick them up by pinching the sides
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement