return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Music Discussion

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Time Required to Learn Beatmatching
View this Thread in Original format
armandzadza
I need to settle a bet. How much time do you think does one take to learn how to beatmatch?

A clarification: I know I am making a sweeping generalization here, as the time required would vary from person to person. I just need a rough idea, i.e., does it take 50 hours of practice or 500 hours of practice?

For the purposes of the thread, let us assume that "beatmatching" means pulling off 80% of transitions without a trainwreck noticeable to an average clubber.

Thank y'all!
LXJ
"Easy to learn, difficult to master"?

5 minutes.
knowname
Its a talent you either have or dont if you ask me. The first time I tried to mix, I beatmatched nearly perfectly. After that I learned a few tricks on how to predict whether they will stay on beat or not, and I never had a problem after that. Some people have it easy, others have a hard time hearing totally different sounds and putting them together correctly. I have a friend who has been spinning for years and still his records go off beat. Sometimes hes ed up, other times excited to be playing for people. We all have our little flaws LOL. Also Id say the BPM of what youre mixing matters, the faster the beat the easier it is to know if youre on beat or not, and easier to fix. Slower beats, like house, are much more difficult.
Laushinameee
about an hour
DannyO
quote:
Originally posted by knowname
Slower beats, like house, are much more difficult.

If thats true, then I'm messed up, as I find trance harder to mix, out off all the styles I've mixed before which include, house, hard house, hard trance, breaks, drum and bass, techno, hardcore, and I bet I could mix hip hop without a problem, I hardly ever mess up a mix but when it comes to trance I seem to have a problem with some tracks, but it also depends on my mood though, if I ain't feeling the music, I ain't gonna mix very well.

quote:
"Easy to learn, difficult to master"

So true.
sandstorm03
quote:
Originally posted by Laushinameee
about an hour

u must be a pro by now :). paul looking to sign u? :D

quote:
Also Id say the BPM of what youre mixing matters, the faster the beat the easier it is to know if youre on beat or not, and easier to fix. Slower beats, like house, are much more difficult.

:conf: :conf: I think it just depends on the tracks that you are mixing.

I notice that when im spinning it is a bit easier to mix prog, and house, then trance, because more tracks(at least out of the ones i own) seem to flow together easier.
AlphaStarred
it really hinges on the individual i should think...

i also found some house, especially deep houes into tribal/prog, rather difficult to mix, when i was messing with some techno and tech-house tho i found it nearly a cinch..
isoterra
I could come up with a well matched, unrehearsed transition after about an hour or two, and it took me about a month after that developing techniques with the decks/mixer that I was happy with. That was about 7 months ago... I still make the odd error but can correct it fairly quickly.
isoterra
quote:
Also Id say the BPM of what youre mixing matters, the faster the beat the easier it is to know if youre on beat or not, and easier to fix. Slower beats, like house, are much more difficult.

Hah.. I'm the same. I don't get why that's the case, since logically having the beats slower should give you more time to notice errors.. but I find it easier when playing with the pitch right up for some reason.
Disco_Gibson
how long is a piece of string?

c'mon wot kind of a question is that.

In my personal experience starting from scratch in terms of playing days it took me about 4-5 months to be able to do it properly.ie hardly makin a mistake throughout a mix.

it comes naturally.i was always a music fan (rock listener for ten years) and recognised structure so it was easy for me to know wot bars/beats came next etc.

all it really boils down to is being able to determine if the track is slower or faster than the other.

Mike_Foyle
well, id say.. if you get on a set of decks with lots of records and no experience, it would take about 5 mixes to learn to beat match roughly, but it takes in ages to perfect it.
Mike_Foyle
quote:
Originally posted by isoterra
Hah.. I'm the same. I don't get why that's the case, since logically having the beats slower should give you more time to notice errors.. but I find it easier when playing with the pitch right up for some reason.

I always found slower beats much easier to mix! hehe. i think because there is more time between the beats so you can get away with a slightly off mix without it sounding completely off. I find it hard to mix faster stuff. Also find it hard to mix alot of the prog stuff with really weak kicks.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement