return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Mixing from vinyl to cd and vice versa?
View this Thread in Original format
DJFrostie
I was just wondering since there is a difference in format is there a significant change in the sound when mixing from vinyl to cd or vice versa? And my other question is if there is a great deal of change in the sound is it ok to have two TT's and a cd player? I love vinyl to death but i want a cd player also since beatport has awesome prices for downloads.

Thank You
Tony Morello
the sticky at the top
http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...&threadid=75921
zizack
there's no real difference when you're mixing. When I first started djing I always thought there was but it was a mental thing. A lot of people say that vinyl sounds a lot better and it may sound a little better on a loud system, but not enough to not get a cd deck.
Psiweaver
vinyl sounds a lot better because it has infinite information on it. its a different pressing of the wave form on it where as cd is bound by the data it can store on itself so some has to be cut. not to mention its warmer and richer because of its analog nature and natural harmonic distortion.
Xtracktor
quote:
Originally posted by Psiweaver
vinyl sounds a lot better because it has infinite information on it. its a different pressing of the wave form on it where as cd is bound by the data it can store on itself so some has to be cut. not to mention its warmer and richer because of its analog nature and natural harmonic distortion.

Sorry psiweaver, but that is only true if the source is analog...in this case with edm, usually the source is digital, so in terms of stored "information" the cd (.wav) will have just as much as the vinyl. (No hard feelings psi, I used to think the warmer idea too before I tried them) I personally mix from vinyl to cd always now, and really if you keep your records clean, needles clean and only have 320k mp3s or uncompressed cds...you may notice that the cds will sound just as good and in some cases better! (I am a vinyl junkie too)

PS: Lets not continue the endless debate here :p
Nic
quote:
Originally posted by Xtracktor
Sorry psiweaver, but that is only true if the source is analog...in this case with edm, usually the source is digital, so in terms of stored "information" the cd (.wav) will have just as much as the vinyl. (No hard feelings psi, I used to think the warmer idea too before I tried them) I personally mix from vinyl to cd always now, and really if you keep your records clean, needles clean and only have 320k mp3s or uncompressed cds...you may notice that the cds will sound just as good and in some cases better! (I am a vinyl junkie too)

PS: Lets not continue the endless debate here :p

I think studio standard is 24 bit 96khz, but it could have gone up to 192khz (anyone want to jump in here and verify?). Most (if not all) audio that is pressed to vinyl nowdays is a digital signal anyway. HOWEVER a digital signal on a cd is 16 bits 48khz, so a record usally contains more information than its cd counterpart.

The only way you will hear this additional information is with a really good setup and really good ears. Often a cd will sound better than vinyl because lasers dont wear out like carts do, cds dont wear out like records do, and cds have error correction to deal with dust and scratches.

So to the original poster, i wouldnt worry about a differance in the sound :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement