return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 
loud music vs your ear
View this Thread in Original format
raveanddie
Hi Guys,

I have been meaning to ask you guys. How do you deal with a loud clubbing enviroment whilst trying to beatmatch with only one ear using your headphone.

i mix at home its fine, but when i try it at the club .. its hard to beatmatch. the music is playing so loud. so am i supposed to increase the loudness on the headphone? wont that kill your ear?

usually i only listen to the cue track using my left ear, and the live track playing out loud. Some people say that one should listen to both the LIVE and the CUE track on the headphone so its easy to beatmatch. i mean if you think about it, this will make it even harder. (incoming&live vs live)

i asked my dj friend on this question. he said that there is a trick to it .. but he refuses to tell me. i know he is just plain old selfish.

so hoping you guys can help me out. how do the big djs do it?
Nsonic
you could get sound-isolating headphones so you just gotta keep your headphones on (listen current and cue track)

and/or get earplugs
raveanddie
I am currently using a seinheisser HD25 SP headphone.

what sort of head phone are you referring to? it those those types technics that pvd and tiesto use? what model are they using anyway and how better is it compared to HD25 SP
Trogdor
I would say, just buy some Ultrasones and monitor in-ear, but no one would listen to me anyway. But, that's pretty much the best thing you could do for your ears, aside from custom earplugs.
raveanddie
quote:
Originally posted by Trogdor
I would say, just buy some Ultrasones and monitor in-ear, but no one would listen to me anyway. But, that's pretty much the best thing you could do for your ears, aside from custom earplugs.

but would that be defeating the purpose? If i buy those earplugs then i cannot hear the live music. And that means i cannot beatmatch.
Nsonic
quote:
Originally posted by raveanddie
but would that be defeating the purpose? If i buy those earplugs then i cannot hear the live music. And that means i cannot beatmatch.

they lower the volume so its safe for your ears, so you can still monitor in-ear, and at a volume loud enough to overcome the sound coming from the speakers
trancecadet
If I ever do play out, buying earplugs will be top of my list. Im like you. I mix with one ear. I hate being in a mix with both ears. I dont know why I just dont like it. Thing is you HAVE to learn how to mix like this because if you ever find yourself in a situation where the booth has no monitors you are ed if you can only mix one ear.

Earplugs are brillant though since they lower the high frequencies that kill your ears (you know when you walk out a club and your ears are ringing?? High frequencies do that.

I was given a set on a job once and I threw them away years back when before I ever started mixing. Sorta like these here. I was in a factory with amazing machinery where there was alot of stone cutting/drilling so imagine how irratating it would be without ear protection but whack in those earplugs and you could almost fall asleep in there but still be able to hear people talking to you!
hiram
im a noob so my opinion prolly wont be as valuable as these other guys..still learning to beatmatch. but i find it ALOT easier to match beats using both headfone cups, my dj friends say thats not the way to go but hey its wat seems to work for me
Zild
I use the one ear method without any problems. You have to realize that if you're playing music in a club without any ear protection then you are going to have some hearing damage. Check out Etymotic ER20 earplugs, or you could look for custom ones if you have the cash.
Pinokio
Is There really a rule for the way you use the headphones,

I see most of The Dj's uses the 1 ear method, but I find for myself that listening both tracks through the earphone, it;s better for me.

I am not 100 % sure , but in my bedroom, music is not as loud as in a club, so I don;t want to learn something that could be useful on my bedroom, but then find out that I can not use the method I am acustom to, because th emusic it's too loud in the club.

In resume, Should I start using the 1 ear method, or I can stay with the other method hearing both tracks trough the earphone?

Thanks..

trancecadet
Learn to mix both ways. It will prove invaluable. I know a guy who turns the monitors off in the booth he plays in purely because he only mixes with both ears.. Thankfully 3 years with a PC, Traktor and a set of headphones taught me how to mix comfortably with both ears. Back then I didnt have an amp and speakers just headphones.

I use both methods. Feels just as natural using one ear.

:)
Tony Morello
there is no set way to dj

the only good way to dj is the way that YOU find the most comfortable and what works for YOU

everyone is different and approaches things different

this is why we are constantly telling people to practice and try new things here and there

it's the only way to develop your own style and learn what's right for YOU

i hate when people tell people that you shouldn't do this or you shouldn't do that, if you can make the beats go together and it sounds good, who cares how you do it, just that you're doing it
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement