return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
What would you get?
View this Thread in Original format
n3lly
How's it going lads,

Just wondering.. And i'm only asking for opinions here, not some all out debate about which is better etc.

I've been looking at getting serato for a good while now. Always like the idea of it plus never really liked the idea of spending the amount needed to get cdj1000's.

However i've been reading away and i never ever considered the cdj800's. After doing a good bit of reading they seem to hold their own quite well. And i'm only into trance/house/progressive stuff and wont be doing any fancy scratching or anything too complex (for the time being anyway)

Now i'm stuck, i'm wondering, what would you go for. A set of CDJ800's to compliment my 1210's or serato?

i know it's a personal question but does it make sense owning both? (Eg, buy the cdj800's now. Then get serato at a later date?)

nelly
thanks
Zild
To supplement my decks I want a pair of CDJ200s or Serrato. Probably the CDJs because I'm not going to buy a laptop. I don't want the 800s or the 1000s because I use the real vinyl decks for scratching.
n3lly
quote:
Originally posted by Zild
To supplement my decks I want a pair of CDJ200s or Serrato. Probably the CDJs because I'm not going to buy a laptop. I don't want the 800s or the 1000s because I use the real vinyl decks for scratching.

lol.. i was just looking at the 200's as well.

They've got a better pitch increment as well of .02 compared to the 800's .05 (Not that i think that's a HUGE difference)..

Hmmm.. i feel like i'm getting more with the 800's compared to the smaller 200's lol, stupid i know but just a visual thing i'm guessing.

Choices choices! AHH!! i've got a small mac mini which would solely be used with serato, but i'm just wondering whether i'd get better use out of the 200's. I'm scared if i get the 200's i wont use my decks as i haven't got that much vinyl.

nelly
mylespower
i will tell you right now...

0.02 = :)
0.05 = :(

i have a pair of 1000's and you will get a 0.02% accuracy when your pitch range is btn +/- 6%

once you up it to 10% range and beyond it transfers to 0.05 and you will find yourself correcting more often

the jog wheel on the 800 and the 1000 is absolutely great for corrections if you are smooth with it and it is great for beatmatching... nice, quick and easy tweaks here and there

so if you don't mind correcting during the mix more often than not... even with good beatmatching, go for the 800... you will save a couple of bucks

but if you want the best accuracy (so far)... and would like to be able to think less about beatmatching and more about eqing and such... spring for something with 0.02% step increments... they are the way to go

sure sure... i was left with little money after buying the 1000's but i was left with even fewer regrets (none to be specific)!!!

1000's all the way for me

but if cash is an issue... go for the 200's over the 800's because of the 0.02% step increment... it makes a world of difference for mixing

i personally am all about smooth mixing and the smoothest mixes are those with the fewest corrections and the most accurate beatmatching as a basic requirement (among other things... eqing etc)
n3lly
I see where you're coming from.. cheers for the reply as well :)

I'm gonna try and find a good cdj200 demo video, and see exactly what it can do :)

I've seen the 800 and 1000 in action. The 1000 is the only one i've seen in the flesh and it's a beast! But i can't afford two of them.. Not while owning a car as well anyway lol

Didn't realise it made that big a difference having .02% compared to .05%

Cheers for clearing that up

nelly
Illuminati
Hey..
On the local disco I play on 2 CDJ 200, and they realy do the job well.
I can't compear them to any of the other new pio CDJ though, because i never played on 800, or 1000... But they beatmatch easy, and the jog works very well...

Take in mind that they also play mp3... Very nice when you are at home.
Nemesis44
I actually see the CDJ200 as a better option than the 800. A bit more bang for your buck if you will. Every time I have spun on 200s I have been impressed where as with the 800s they have just felt like a large lump of plastic (and yes I know they are all made from plastic).

In my own opinion you can't really compare either with the CDJ1000 or the top of the range Denons, they just feel different and generally out perform the other two in the long run.

Cheers
Nem
n3lly
I see what you're saying nemesis..

I just found a video at long last on the cdj200..
Seems nice, but ah fook! Saving starts again now :(
And i thought i had everything sussed! lol

It's the looping abilities that have always caught my eye with cdj's..I love the feel of vinyl though!!

Might just get the 200's for the time being then get serato on top as well after a while.. Might be a little overkill though.

Some good replies here :) Cheers for the help.

nelly
ZeJayMan
Personally i'd go for the CDJ 800's, i had my doubts for a while, but they are rock solid, the 1000's are fantastic, used in clubs everywhere for a reason, but for bedroom use 1000's are expensive. There's no problem with the 200's but you're missing out on the essential vinyl control of cd's which is lovely to have when you do decide to do more advanced techniques.
You'd have no problem moving from 800's to 1000's if you were to go into the club scene.
Serato or indeed Finalscratch are both great too. At over 400 pounds though they're pretty pricey.
You're a pretty thrifty guy, making your own sweet Sefour x30 styley table, get another bargain with the 800's.
Either that or do both, buy one cdj and serato haha! Loadsa Fun
Illuminati
all of you in america are so god damn lucky...
In Norway, where I am living DJ stuff is really expensive.
CDJ200 cost about $800 and a CDJ1000 MKII lists between $2000-2300

I am sick of the high price levels here in Norway... :whip:

n3lly
quote:
Originally posted by ZeJayMan
Personally i'd go for the CDJ 800's, i had my doubts for a while, but they are rock solid, the 1000's are fantastic, used in clubs everywhere for a reason, but for bedroom use 1000's are expensive. There's no problem with the 200's but you're missing out on the essential vinyl control of cd's which is lovely to have when you do decide to do more advanced techniques.
You'd have no problem moving from 800's to 1000's if you were to go into the club scene.
Serato or indeed Finalscratch are both great too. At over 400 pounds though they're pretty pricey.
You're a pretty thrifty guy, making your own sweet Sefour x30 styley table, get another bargain with the 800's.
Either that or do both, buy one cdj and serato haha! Loadsa Fun

lol at the Sefour table comment but cheers. I have an idea to get serato to work nicely with the table but i'm confused now. Hence the thread.

Essentially it is the vinyl feel that i'm looking for plus ultimately like/enjoy, if i had a table with a vinyl mode switch i don't think i'd ever switch it off, also i'm not looking for mp3 compatibility... (it would just be an added bonus)

Here's another way of putting the question.

If i were to get serato, would any of you see the point in getting a set of cdj's as well? Bar being able to loop etc and cut and slice tunes a little faster i suppose. Serato would allow me to use any mp3's i have or will purchase in the future.

And seeing as my style is just your basic beat/phrase matching (eg. Nothing exciting) I'm thinking serato would be enough.

Bollox i don't know...

nelly
n3lly
quote:
Originally posted by Illuminati
all of you in america are so god damn lucky...
In Norway, where I am living DJ stuff is really expensive.
CDJ200 cost about $800 and a CDJ1000 MKII lists between $2000-2300

I am sick of the high price levels here in Norway... :whip:

I often see people selling cdj's from germany on ebay.

Obviously you'd have to make sure the people were legit etc, but deals do come up on there.

Not only that but why can't you just order from an internet company in the uk or something along those lines? (i don't think you get stung for tax do you?)

I don't think i'm ever going to set foot in a Dj Shop here in Dublin. CDJ's cost something along the line of 1400 or more i think. Compared to internet prices of around £750 (€1102).

Use the internet to save money.. :)

nelly

ps.. hmmm thinking about it, you might just get shafted with import taxes, not being part of the EU etc. I'm not quite clued up on the postal system of norway? :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement