return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Using ableton live 5 w/ out a midi controller?
View this Thread in Original format
discobiscuit
I wanna get ableton live 5, but was wondering if i could even use it and (most importantly)have fun w/ it w/out a midi controller... i'd get a midi in like a month, but just dont have the $ right now. plus i wanna get a good midi controller and not just buy a cheap one on the spot.

one more quick question... if i did get ableton, could i just turn it on and jam out on the spot, or will i have to buy a bunch of other stuff (softwear, cd's etc...). does ableton give you the ability to jam; on the spot, just as if you were using a beat box or something
Danila
How much is ableton? Its like 500 dollar software I wouldnt think you need to buy additional software in order for it to function. check the website
IKKI-ZUVK
You won't need any addition software, Live5 comes with a bunch plug-ins, VSTs, and some other things which you'd probably find handy.

What's gonna be the main function of Live5?
discobiscuit
i was going to use live 5 like an instrument... i just want something that i can walk up to and jam on... beats, loops, synths and stuff. i'm going to get serato scratch next so i can play the tracks i create/remix on my tt's. also my friend has a band and they said that they'd love for me to bring a techno aspect to their improv jaming. they are a jam band and want someone to bring another demension to their music... that would be months down the road though...

would live 5 give me what i needed to jam along with a band? i am getting a midi controller so i can do synths and stuff (but just not at this moment).. if you can think of a better program, i would love to hear it... ableton is the only one that really tickled my fancy.

thanks
bisco
IKKI-ZUVK
quote:

i'm going to get serato scratch next so i can play the tracks i create/remix on my tt's.

There's no need for Serato. you can do pretty much the exact same thing with Live5.

quote:
would live 5 give me what i needed to jam along with a band?

Yes, it would.

quote:
i am getting a midi controller so i can do synths and stuff (but just not at this moment).. if you can think of a better program, i would love to hear it... ableton is the only one that really tickled my fancy.

Live5 is exactly what you need.

If you have any other question, feel free to IM me ---msn---> globaldj2k@hotmail.com

Cheers
discobiscuit
thank you thank you

bisco
Psiweaver
yeah you are looking for live 5
punjabi
bisco, off topic, but have you heard of the new disco biscuits tour? only the first leg has been announced...i'm catching at least 4 shows.
discobiscuit
HEAR ABOUT IT!!! I WANT TO SHOOT MYSELF... I'm in f'n college and will b missing all of it... I'm goin to every single show this summer though (i predict 30 - 40 shows in the summer). The Biscuits are hittin' the ground runnin'....

bisco
Zild
I saw Jake Childs a few months ago and he did a set of his own music on Ableton using only a laptop and a mouse. And he rocked the damn house.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement