return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Cartridge tracking force
View this Thread in Original format
Zoso
I am currently using Numark CC-1 carts. The recommended tracking force is 3 grams. My question is this: what negative effects, if any, will using less than the recommended 3 grams cause? I have noticed that if I have the tracking force set on 2 grams or so that my sound quality suffers and that skips are easier when cueing. I bedroom mix only, but I would still like to extend the life of my stylus and vinyl. Thanks for your input, TAs. Cart link http://www.topdjgear.com/numcc1car.html
Allied Nations
quote:
Originally posted by Zoso
I am currently using Numark CC-1 carts. The recommended tracking force is 3 grams. My question is this: what negative effects, if any, will using less than the recommended 3 grams cause? I have noticed that if I have the tracking force set on 2 grams or so that my sound quality suffers and that skips are easier when cueing. I bedroom mix only, but I would still like to extend the life of my stylus and vinyl. Thanks for your input, TAs. Cart link http://www.topdjgear.com/numcc1car.html

Less weight = less damage to records

More Weight (Within Reason) = Better tracking, fuller sound.

I suggest keeping it in the medium range Numark reccomends. I use the m44-gs and only have 1.5 grams on them and they sound great.
Zoso
Thank you for your reply, Allied Nations. What have you found to be the average life of a record, assuming it's not overly abused or something. Much of this is still new to me, but I do know that I want to make my vinyl last as long as possible. That's expensive stuff, and I don't foresee the kids cutting back to one meal per day any time soon! :D
Allied Nations
quote:
Thank you for your reply, Allied Nations. What have you found to be the average life of a record, assuming it's not overly abused or something. Much of this is still new to me, but I do know that I want to make my vinyl last as long as possible. That's expensive stuff, and I don't foresee the kids cutting back to one meal per day any time soon! :D

Keep ur weight normal and your records clean, your records will out last you.
Zoso
quote:
Originally posted by Allied Nations
Keep ur weight normal and your records clean, your records will out last you.

With that in mind, are the vinyl cleaners that several DJ outlets offer a gimmick, or are they indeed legit?
mzvirbulis
that reminds me :eyes: i havent cleand my vinyl in ages because i ran out of cleaning fluid.

*runs somewhere to find record cleaning product and a new cloth*:D

ohhh and also i saw this dj and i know plenty of them do it but,
fark some dj's treat there vinyl like !:whip: clumsy bastards.
and i dont care if they earn an alright buck!
;)

not sure save for car or pioneer cdj 1000 mkII (X2) Tuff decision!
kadomony
quote:
With that in mind, are the vinyl cleaners that several DJ outlets offer a gimmick, or are they indeed legit?

way overpriced. get a bottle of lighter fluid and use that. same stuff, much cheaper.
mzvirbulis
could someone tell me why one of my vinyl needs >5 anti skate force to play without skipping i thought it was stuffed but fiddled with the antiskate settings and everything works fine.
ZeJayMan
I second the lighter fluid option, all you want to do is take the static away from the record and clean out the dirt and dust from the grooves. I'm positive theres a whole section on cleaning tips.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement