return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
View this Thread in Original format
Boinked
Any tips out there for people, like me, who want to get some sort of DJ starter kit but don't know the first thing when it comes to what to buy?

I'd appreciate any advice.
Seakr
Well, since i've never heard of a cdj starter kit, i'm assuming you're talking about a vinyl oriented package, yes?

well, my advice is not to get one.

despite all the advice i heard online to go with technics first, and to save for quality equipment, i was just too impatient. i started with a Stanton package, cost $500.

It's cool to LEARN on, but that's really the extent of it. you will reach a point when the only thing holding you back is your equipment.

It's an expensive hobby, no doubt. i lucked out when i got my Technics. $525 for 2 Technics M3D
leph555
there are cdj starter kits like this one here: http://djdeals.com/stantonDIGIPAKPRO.htm
Trance Nutter
quote:
Originally posted by Boinked
Any tips out there for people, like me, who want to get some sort of DJ starter kit but don't know the first thing when it comes to what to buy?

I'd appreciate any advice.

read read read.

Read everything you can find about djing styles, equipment, how to hook up, tutorials.

Google and find information, read it all (www.Recess.co.uk is not bad). Search here and read it all. This should become your obsession.

Look on online shops and look at information about equipment and try to work out what it all means. It helps a hell of a lot if when you buy equipment you can look at stats and be able to think it through yourself rather than having people point and say "buy".

Watch other djs and try to work out what they are doing while they are mixing.

oh, and once you start, practice practice practice.
mzvirbulis
you have to be Disciplined to teach yourself to some extent.

trance nutter says read read read! and i agree;) ohh listen too.

also i think it was like 8 months i bought my first 7 vinyls before i actually bought my gear lol.
Low Profile
Well, the big question is: Vinyl versus CD's ??? Are you ready to give up "the vinyl touch" to save money? IMO, the vinyl is all about looks, unless you're a scratcher there's no solid reason why vinyl is better than CD's, it's all preference (well, it's cool to see a DJ spin vinyl, so you get +respect from the crowd for that ;):D ) .. I know I'll be flamed for saying this :)

Basically, you'll need 2 players (turntables (record players), or DJ CD players), a mixer and a truckload of music to play (probably the most expensive part of being a DJ). Vinyl costs alot, but CD's don't come free either... Also, many CD DJ's these days are buying their music online in the form of mp3's and burning them to CD's (since EDM CD's are hard to find, compared to vinyl and online mp3's).

There is a third alternative, a cross between these methods, and that's using a digital vinyl setup, such as Serato Scratch Live or FinalScratch. These are special computer perpherials that allow you to play so-called control vinyl, connect turntables to your computer and control mp3's as if it was music on a real vinyl. It's something to look into if you wanna try vinyl, but don't have money to buy an infinite amount of records.
jun139
MAKE SURE U LOVE DJING BEFORE U DIVE IN AND WASTE ALL UR MONEY ON EXPENSIVE EQUIPMENT...its so annoying to see all those ppl who bought expensive TT or CDjs.. and after a few months or so .. decide to give up .. thats just so retarded..
Boinked
alrighty,

got the numark battle pak (http://www.planetdj.com/i--BATTLEPAK!!20NEW) for 200$ from my friend, plus 8 vinyl.

is that a good deal? :conf:

also,

what would be a good amp and good speakers to get with this set?
pkcRAISTLIN
quote:

what would be a good amp and good speakers to get with this set?

christ :rolleyes:

did you read anything anyone else has posted? do your own research and then come back when you have an idea of what youre looking for and then ask some questions about it.

what youre doing is essentially \"i want a new car, which should i buy?\" which is just a moronic question. there are so many options out there, many of which come down to personal preference.

but, for the record, ive played on 1 numark turntable and it was a piece of .
Trance Nutter
quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
but, for the record, ive played on 1 numark turntable and it was a piece of .

i learnt on a pair. good for a beginner but you'll upgrade in 1 year.

pkcRAISTLIN
quote:
Originally posted by Trance Nutter
i learnt on a pair. good for a beginner but you'll upgrade in 1 year.

hehe, but think of all that vinyl you coulda bought if youd just gone straight for your stantons without having to upgrade from your numarks? ;)

imo you should always buy the best gear you can afford.
DJ 00 Tommy
quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
hehe, but think of all that vinyl you coulda bought if youd just gone straight for your stantons without having to upgrade from your numarks? ;)

imo you should always buy the best gear you can afford.

You knew you where going to be a superstar dj from the start so you knew you wouldnt give up on it. But what about the insecure kiddies who dont know what they want in life?
What about them pkc? :sadgreen:
:tongue2

Secondhand techs. Its a comprimise between getting brand new top end decks and crappy numark decks.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement